SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Sage User

Won't detect HDHomeRun

I'll start from the beginning. I've had Sage working with the HDHomeRun for several months now. No problems. Now, my lovely cable provider (Comcast Digital, Morgantown, WV) decided to shuffle the lineup around. In doing so, they changed some of the qam channels. I thought this would be a good time to upgrade everything before I re-mapped them. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, I noticed the HDHomeRun software is much different now. I followed the install/setup instructions for Sage to the T. Got it installed, detected the HDHomeRun device, could view my channels with VLC. Everything was fine - no problems there. Now back in Sage, I'm trying to re-map them per the HDHomeRun instructions, but it's not working. I'm trying rebooting, starting and stopping services, and doing things in a different order which seemed to work for a lot of people on here. None of that worked. Then, to my delight I go back into Sage and the HDHomeRun tuners are gone! No big deal I thought, I'll just re-install. They aren't there. Sage now doesn't even see them. I've tried uninstalling the HDHomeRun, rebooting, re-installing it, disabling firewalls, disabling anti-virus programs. Nothing is working! How can I get this tuner re-installed in Sage? Please help! I miss my HD content!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Sage Icon

You were probably using the homerun network encoders which is no longer supported by silicondust. I think there are references in the silicondust forum about how to get software for the network encorders. If you want to upgrade to the BDA drivers then you probably need to remove all references to the old network encoders.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I went from the network encoder to the BDA last night too. Well, I mean I broke it last night doing that. The problem was that Sage still thought the HDHR was a network encoder and I keep getting something about no tuner can tune the select channel.

If fixed this by stopping SageTVService and SageTV. I then removed the entries for the HDHR encoders in the sage.properties file (i backed up first).

Then I reran the latest HDHR setup, started the HDHR manager, then starting the Sage server and Sage gui. I then added each HDHR as a tuner, and I'm up and running again.

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but you might want to look at the properties file.

-pez
Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Sage User

Pez,
I've tried everything you mentioned, but nothing seems to be working for me. Did you have to do anything special to add the tuners? Or did they just show up when you went to add new tuner? My just aren't showing up at all. Anyone else have any ideas? This is really frustrating!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

I did not have to do anything special but I have been keeping the Homerun drivers current. When the BDA drivers first came out I think the SiliconDust software cleaned up the Sage Properties file. However it also cleaned out the Hauppauge tuners and I think that was removed.

Does the properties files show any HomeRun tuners?
IIRC the network encoders used a name starting with HomeRun, The BDA encoders now start with SiliconDust.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Sage User

carlgar,
There was quite a bit in the properties file related to the HDHomeRun tuners. I removed all of that and reinstalled the tuners with the latest software. Now the only thing left in the file is this:
seeker/last_channel/HDHomeRun\ ATSC.......

One line for each tuner. I delete these lines and restart the service and they come back. Could this be my problem? How do I get rid of those lines for good?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Sage Icon

I doubt if you can. I just checked my file and I still have those and I also have them for the BDA drivers. Are you able to add the SiliconDust tuners now?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

Check the ignore encoders line and remove any silicon dust entries
Old 12-27-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox View Post
Check the ignore encoders line and remove any silicon dust entries
I have the same problem as MRSHaynes and I too have removed the old hdhomerun lines from my property file. I checked the ignore line and there is no reference to silicondust or hdhomerun. It was there for a while but it has disappeared. I still can not add the tuners. They do not show up on "add new source". I feel like I am missing something simple.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Sage Icon

I agree that is probably is something simple, but currently it is unknown if on the Sage side or the SiliconDust side. Have you made sure there is no other program accessing the HDHomerun? I think there was someone who had this problem because their old BTV was accessing them. Does the HDHomeRun Manager or Setup show Microsoft MCE as not running? Have you tried turning off any firewalls to see if the Homerun will install?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Sage Icon

Try shutting down all Sage processes and run the latest HDHR installer from silicondust.com and make sure to choose the install all option.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Sage User

I did seem to have some firewall issues in the beginning. As soon as the HDHomeRun setup was complete, I would get a popup asking to allow that program to access the internet. I always said yes, but still felt it might be a problem. I shut down the firewall/antivirus and tried the install that way, but still the same problems.

I don't recall the "Install All" option ever being available. That push button has always been grayed out. I will uninstall everything (HDHomeRun related), and try again.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Sage User

OK. I tried everything again...
I uninstalled HDHomeRun. Rebooted. Disabled firewall/antivirus and shut down Sage. I reinstalled the latest version of HDHomeRun. Performed the channel scan. Started Sage and went to add new source and they aren't there.

I did notice one thing though. The Silicon Dust install instructions state
"Download and install the latest SageTV software (6.2.6 or newer) from SageTV"

I checked and I'm running version 6.1.9.134. Think that could be the problem? What version of Sage is everyone running? How hard is that to upgrade. I'm a bit shy of upgrading now with all the trouble I'm having with just a tuner. I don't want to lose all my settings, files, etc.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, I think that could be the problem. From the SageTV V6.2.3 Release Notes 6/13/2007 BETA:

3. Added BDA support for the HDHomeRun from Silicon Dust

I am running the most current release 6.3.5.159 which I think you should upgrade to.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Sage User

Well, I upgraded Sage tonight to version 6.3.5.159 and the HDHomeRun tuners were there. Wow, what a headache this was. I wish I would have paid closer attention to the Silicon Dust install instructions. That would have saved a lot of hassle. Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully this thread could prove useful to anyone else who might encounter this problem in the near future.