SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Sage User

HD Extender blocky picture for all recordings

When trying to watch recordings on my HD Extender, the picture is blocky and pixelated so badly that the program is unwatchable. Same deal if I watch live TV. Doesn't matter if it is a program recorded from HDHomeRun or from my Hauppauge 1600 and no difference if it is an SD or HD program. It seems as though the server is transcoding the MPEG2 file instead of letting the HD extender decode the file. When I change server setting for the Media Extender Conversion Quality from Standard to High, the picture is better but still is too bad to be watchable. Watching the files from my HTPC, the programs are fine. I was under the impression that the MPG file would be sent to the HD extender without transcoding. I've tried the latest firmware; deleting the client properties file; and enabling the client setting to switch the resolution to match the program. I am using the standard Sage STV and have the 6.3.5.159 installed. My client properties file is attached.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
--Robert
Old 12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

What about the "recording quality" parameter in the detailed setup. I had to increase my quality from "great" to "best" to take full advantage of the HD extender. This quality is associated with each video source - you may need to change all if the video sources.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
What about the "recording quality" parameter in the detailed setup. I had to increase my quality from "great" to "best" to take full advantage of the HD extender. This quality is associated with each video source - you may need to change all if the video sources.
HD recordings aren't affected by quality settings. The digital stream being transmitted is exactly what is recorded without any modification. Only analog recordings are adjusted with the quality setting.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The recording quality is not the problem. When I watch the same recroded program via Sage on my HTPC, the HD programs are excellent and the SD programs are good. But played thru the HD media extender, the pictures are blocky and horrible.

Thanks. Any other ideas?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmassat View Post
The recording quality is not the problem. When I watch the same recroded program via Sage on my HTPC, the HD programs are excellent and the SD programs are good. But played thru the HD media extender, the pictures are blocky and horrible.

Thanks. Any other ideas?
Since enough time has passed and nobody has directly answered your question you probably want to contact support about this. This is a user forum not an official support forum. They will want to know about the problems your having.

BTW, make sure you have the latest Java installed on your SageTV server.