SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM

What are the costs to get going

I'm brand new to this. Just wondering what I need to get started. All I want to do is have a basic setup where I can record shows just like a dvr. I've already got a computer I can use. I don't have a tv tuner card. How do I know if the tv that I have will work, or can you use any tv? What else will I need to get? thanks!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Sage Icon

I got started for about $180 when I purchased a Hauppauge PVR-350 and software. Later I purchased two MVP media extenders, a more powerful computer and several hard drives. You can start for under $200 as a minimum if you already own a computer.

SageTV records at various quality levels, if you use high quality, it will consume 3 gigs per hour. You did not mention what type of computer and operating system that you could use with SageTV.

You can setup SageTV for standard definition and high definition. You need to decide how many different programs you want to be able to record at the same time. Some people can only record one program at a time, some 8 or more programs at a time. How much you can record is dependent on how much disk space you have. I started with about 120 gigs and now I am up to 1400 gigs. It depends on how large you want to scale up your system.

One of the main benefits of SageTV is its ability to grow with your needs. SageTV also has the intelligence to learn what you like to watch, so you don't have to program each show you want to record. There are many companion programs, mostly free, that are available, such as comskip and showanalyzer to automatically skip commercials.

What type of computer are you planning to use with SageTV. Do you want it to work with SD or HD? How many programs do you want to record at once? How many TVs do you want be able to watch recorded programs at the same time? How many hours of video would you like to keep on your computer?

There are a lot of things to think about... SageTV blows away stand alone set top DVRs.

Dave
Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 PM
SageTVaholic

To record TV programs you'll need a hardware-encoding tuner card (~$90) and the SageTV Media Center software ($80). If you want to record two programs at the same time, you'll need two tuner cards, or one dual-tuner card (~$150). You might be able to save a few bucks by getting one of the bundles.

To play back recorded shows on your PC, that's all you need. To play them back on your TV, you'll need a graphics card with TV-Out (check to see if yours has this feature) and a TV with composite video input. If your PC doesn't have TV-Out, or you don't want to put the PC next to the TV, you can use a MediaMVP ($110) connected to your LAN.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Sage Icon

Start reading here: http://www.sage.tv/support.html. Does this computer match the hardware requirements. You know, you don't give a lot to work with here.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Sorry - Like I said I'm brand new to this and don't know what information is needed. I'll read through the forums and see what I can figure out.

I just switched to Comcast from Dish - I liked the Dish DVR, but have not gotten a comcast one yet. I was about to order one, when I came across SageTV, so I thought I'd see what I could figure out.

I've got an old computer with 160 GB hard drive (runs Windows xp). For now, I don't need to record in HD. I don't mind having my computer next to my TV. I don't have a tv tuner card, so I would need that. I would want to watch this on my tv, so I guess I would need a graphics card with TV out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Start reading here: http://www.sage.tv/support.html. Does this computer match the hardware requirements. You know, you don't give a lot to work with here.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Sage Icon

Actually the money you might have to invest to get a good picture on your TV from a PC is much better spent on the new STX-HD100 which is not for HD content only. You won't have to worry about the complexity of connecting a PC to your TV. You will also have a device that will handle HD should the need arrive.

Add $200.

You need $80 dollars for Sage, than you need xxx dollars a tuner.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Thanks - I appreciate the info. So all I need is a tuner, Sage, and the STX-HD100 and I should be good to go?

Quote:
Actually the money you might have to invest to get a good picture on your TV from a PC is much better spent on the new STX-HD100 which is not for HD content only. You won't have to worry about the complexity of connecting a PC to your TV. You will also have a device that will handle HD should the need arrive.

Add $200.

You need $80 dollars for Sage, than you need xxx dollars a tuner.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Yes - well, depending on what tuner is recording from what device - you might also need means to change channel on the source, a lot of us use USB-UIRT - which you wouldn't need if you'd be recording from a device like HDHomeRun.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 PM

I've got a comcast receiver right now, so I'd be recording from that to the tuner - I think. With that in mind, do I need anything else? thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Yes - well, depending on what tuner is recording from what device - you might also need means to change channel on the source, a lot of us use USB-UIRT - which you wouldn't need if you'd be recording from a device like HDHomeRun.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Sage Icon

As I sad before, you'll need some means to change the channel on the receiver. I use a USB-UIRT which gets plugged into a usb port on the server and allows Sage to send a signal to the STB through the transmitter which I have simply taped to the front the STB sensor. Works 100%.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Sage Expert

$5000 should be plenty!

Seriously, I got started relatively cheap, using an existing PC. I bought the software, one dual tuner tv card and one mediaMVP.

Since that time, I've built a new dedicated PC with 1 1/2 tb of storage, 10 total tuners, added a couple client licences, and added 3 additional MVPs. I also use a usb-uirt.

I've enabled comskip as well. Only PC connected to a TV is in my media room, and that's a super-silent PC.

Getting started can be cheap/easy. You can go crazy over the long haul if you want, but you can go crazy at whatever pace you choose, adding one tuner at time, replacing hard drives whenever you want/need/etc.

Fully customizable. WAF is high on this one too.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
$5000 should be plenty!

Seriously, I got started relatively cheap, using an existing PC. I bought the software, one dual tuner tv card and one mediaMVP.

Since that time, I've built a new dedicated PC with 1 1/2 tb of storage, 10 total tuners, added a couple client licences, and added 3 additional MVPs. I also use a usb-uirt.

I've enabled comskip as well. Only PC connected to a TV is in my media room, and that's a super-silent PC.

Getting started can be cheap/easy. You can go crazy over the long haul if you want, but you can go crazy at whatever pace you choose, adding one tuner at time, replacing hard drives whenever you want/need/etc.

Fully customizable. WAF is high on this one too.
What's the super-silent PC? I'm looking to replace my PC client in the family room.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

I spent roughly $500 to get started. I bought from PCAlchamy: the PVR500/SageTV/USBUIRT package for about $250, then $200 on the HD extender (even though I dont have an HDTV I think its a better value than the MVP). Then somewhere around $50 on cables, splitters, and IR LEDS for the USBUIRT.

I did already have a PC with a spare 300GB hard drive for my recordings. I can already see that SageTV has the potential to become a large money pit, but It's completely worth it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor View Post
What's the super-silent PC? I'm looking to replace my PC client in the family room.
Zalman HD160 case and zalman 500W (maybe 600?) Powersupply.

The rest of the parts aren't quiet parts. Stock e6750 w/ stock fan. Gigabyte ultra cool/ultradurable motherboard, nvidia 8800GTS, seagate 260g sata, sata DVD Burner.
The case/powersupply were expensive, but the case does look purty!