SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Sage User

Angry Frusterated!

Yeah these things are selling fast. I still haven't received an email yet regarding the status of my shipment.

I put in a request for a new front panel on Feb 25th (for the first batch of the STX-HD100) and ordered 2 more on the 27th. Still no emails from Sage besides thanks for your order and they will be shipped out the following day....
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm987 View Post
I put in a request for a new front panel on Feb 25th (for the first batch of the STX-HD100) and ordered 2 more on the 27th. Still no emails from Sage besides thanks for your order and they will be shipped out the following day....
Check my recent post about License emails for purchases from Feb 20 -> March 4, 2008. It may have affected other emails from SageTV too.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Sage User

I received an email with my licenses. Just never received an email with the UPS tracking numbers. Last time I put in my order it took 5 days before I got an email with the USPS tracking number. I was expecting it to be the same if not quicker this time around.

I've sent a second email to support asking them about the status of my order.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Man am I glad I ordered 2!! I was only planning on ordering 1 for right now (made the initial order) and then decided over the weekend to go ahead and order another one. Glad I did! Originally I was just going to order one and try it out...get my wife on board and then go for the second. Considering my first one just arrived today...it would have been too late!

Its better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission right?!?!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-05-2008, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Its better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission right?!?!
Only your wife can answer that.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Only your wife can answer that.

Good luck.
Guess we will see when the second arrives on Friday!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
SageTVaholic

So after about a week the extenders are out of stock again. I wonder who at Sage is in the doghouse, the marketing guy or the guy who chose the hardware manufacturer?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
So after about a week the extenders are out of stock again. I wonder who at Sage is in the doghouse, the marketing guy or the guy who chose the hardware manufacturer?

I would love to see their monthly sales charts... (compare the months with, to the months without)....
Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

Stupid UPS

So, I am anxiously awaiting/tracking my extender and apparently UPS decided to deliver it to someone else. I was home all day and they never tried to make a delivery but the status says delivered and someone signed for it with a totally unrecognizable name. !@#$%^! UPS better be able to get it back since it now out of stock again! I sent an email to Sage - hopefully they can sort this out...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Hey, they're getting better. I just looked around the forums and the first batch only lasted 3-4 days. They went on sale 12/10/07 and the first message I saw posted that they couldn't order one because they were out of stock was on 12/14/07.

So they doubled their "in stock" this time to a week. Next batch may be even better.

Of course that's only until some reviews come out in the big magazines and websites showing just how sweet the whole SageTv HD experience is. Then all the "newbs" will invade us as they abandon their Windows Media Center, BeyondTV, etc setups in favor of SageTV.

Then the big networks and cable/dish co's will find out and say "People are ENJOYING TV? Quick call the lawyers, we can't have THAT!!"
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Sage Expert

I'm shocked they were in stock as long as they were.

I ordered my first on Feb 27th and assumed by the time I got it, I'd have to wait for the next batch to get another one.
And then I checked yesterday and was able to order a 2nd one.

I loved my PC Client, but this is sooo much better.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

And there's a bunch of MythTV folks trying to use the HD100 source to get the extenders to work with their MythTV setups. Those guys are missing the point of the whole thing, but if they get it to work it will sell even more SageTV HD extenders.

I got mine yesterday, plugged it all in and updated the firmware, had a beer and was up and running in less than 30 minutes last night. No tweaking, no setup it just works. SageTV has a hit on their hands and they will continue to sell these out every time they get a new shipment. It's great news for SageTV and great news for the SageTV community.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Sage Icon

I don't record in HD yet, and just couldn't make myself pull the trigger to get one. I probably won't get a HDhomerun until we move to a new house (year or so), so I figured that I might as well wait to get the HD extender.

Hope I don't regret this!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post

Of course that's only until some reviews come out in the big magazines and websites showing just how sweet the whole SageTv HD experience is.

Unfortunately, Those reviews have already started and the reviewers are idiots, literally. See the General Discussion thread about the PC Mag review. The reviewer from CPU Magazine apparantly doesn't know the difference between Windows Home Server and Windows XP. Sheesh! Makes me wonder how much these guys make. If it's more than I do I'm thinking about applying for their jobs.

S
Old 03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I don't record in HD yet, and just couldn't make myself pull the trigger to get one. I probably won't get a HDhomerun until we move to a new house (year or so), so I figured that I might as well wait to get the HD extender.

Hope I don't regret this!
Regret my friend.
I don't record in HD yet either even though I have HD service through Directv.
I'm currently capturing SD, and I'm waiting on the new HD capture card.
But the extender is working great so far..
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Sage User

HD Extender round 3

Does anyone know when SageTV plans to get another batch of HD Extenders?

I bought one in the last batch. I wanted to try it out before investing more money. I really like it. Every once it a while it gets a little buggy, but for the most part it works great.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
And there's a bunch of MythTV folks trying to use the HD100 source to get the extenders to work with their MythTV setups. Those guys are missing the point of the whole thing, but if they get it to work it will sell even more SageTV HD extenders.

Some of them might end up just being more SageTV converts. I converted from MythtTV to SageTV entirely because of the extender, and I heard about it on the MythTV lists. If they get the extender working with MythTV, it would be a hard choice whether or not to go back or stick with SageTV.

What I like about SageTV:
- HD playback via extender
- *much* better commercial skipping. 2x to 3x as fast as MythTV's, and so far much more reliable
- ability to comskip imported videos
- easier, more logical setup
- less fragile dependencies (bye bye MySql!)

What I miss from MythTV:
- easy ability to detect ATSC recordings made during periods of bad reception.
- scheduling 14 days out
- (optional) greyed out entries in the upcoming recordings window, showing why they were not being recorded (previously recorded, already on disk, etc)
- timestretch, so you can play slow paced shows back at greater than realtime
- adjustable fonts for the program guide / listings /etc. Sage's fonts are absurdly huge on my giant TV running at 1080P, and show far to little information at a time. I could probably read the guide from across the street!
- ability to watch from as many different computers as I wanted without worrying about licensing.

Cheers,

Drew
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
So, I am anxiously awaiting/tracking my extender and apparently UPS decided to deliver it to someone else.
Did you ever get your extender? UPS also screwed me up, but not as bad. Mine was delayed from Fri to Mon due to a "train derailment." I placed my order on Feb 29, it shipped March 3, and I didn't get the box until late in the day on March 10!

Drew
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Hi Drew,
Got a few questions and comments for you. I'm not very familiar with MythTV so many of these are just out of curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
What I miss from MythTV:
- easy ability to detect ATSC recordings made during periods of bad reception.
Sounds like a nice feature. I'm curious how this works in MythTV. Could you explain a little further?

Quote:
- scheduling 14 days out
You can adjust the number of days of scheduling from 3 days up to 14 by doing the following:
  • Shut down SageTV Server
  • Open to edit sage.properties
  • find "scheduling_lookahead="
  • change it to "scheduling_lookahead=1209600000”
Note this "1209600000" is in milliseconds for 14 days so change that if you want a different number of days. Note that this isn't recommended or supported by SageTV officially, but it's been working just fine for me without any issues.

Quote:
- timestretch, so you can play slow paced shows back at greater than realtime
How does this timestretch work? Doesn't it mess up the sound?

Quote:
- adjustable fonts for the program guide / listings /etc. Sage's fonts are absurdly huge on my giant TV running at 1080P, and show far to little information at a time. I could probably read the guide from across the street!
I could be wrong, but I think the fonts are adjustable in SageTV. They are for SageMC at least.

Quote:
- ability to watch from as many different computers as I wanted without worrying about licensing.
Can't argue with you on this one. Free is always nice
Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just imagine how fast these will sell out when we can record all of our HD channels, not just those that come over QAM.

Imagine hard drive sales numbers as well. In fact, the hard drive manufacturers should sponsor Sage/Hauppauge with this new component capture card.