SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Any way to make imported videos always start from the beginning?

I'm experimenting with different ways of encoding ripped DVD's for streaming though Sage via an MVP. One annoying aspect is that when you stop a video and later restart it, it always starts where you left off. Makes sense if you're the sole user, but it seems like a real inconvenience when multiple people migh watch different shows at different times.

It's not so bad on a client or via placeshifter since you can use the mouse to immediately go back to the beginning. But when using the MVP, I don't see any way to immediately return back to the start other than slowly jumping back 2 minutes or whatever at a time.

Is there a way I can tell Sage to always start imported videos at the beginning? Or is there a way that that I haven't discovered to jump back to the start using the MVP remote?

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Try setting the show to "Watched" then start watching the imported video. Thats the way I get it to work.

Miller
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

What version are you running? For a ripped DVD it usually asks you if you want to resume. Which you can of course answer no.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
What version are you running? For a ripped DVD it usually asks you if you want to resume. Which you can of course answer no.

Gerry
6.3 or whatever the latest release is.

I'm trying to do this with divx or mp4 or something else. I do have ripped DVD movies (in traditional VIDEO_TS folders) that work as you describe. But with individual avi or mp4 files it insists on starting where I left off.

What I'm aiming for is ripping all of my episodic DVD's (mostly TV series) into individal episodes that can be selected from a playlist. I just want them to start at the beginning each time without having to rewind manually.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers_35 View Post
Try setting the show to "Watched" then start watching the imported video. Thats the way I get it to work.

Miller
Yeah, that works. Unfortunately the "watched" selection is then cleared and the next time it again starts in the middle or wherever unless you re-check it. Now that's not a big deal for me, but I'm trying to get this to pass the Wife Acceptance Factor, and while something like checking "watched" before watching a show (that's ironic) is not that tough to remember, it will thoroughly annoy the wife who will never remember to do it and curse as she can't figure out how to get back to the beginning of Deadwood.

It seems like returning to the beginning of a show on the MVP should be something easy to accomplish.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
6.3 or whatever the latest release is.

I'm trying to do this with divx or mp4 or something else. I do have ripped DVD movies (in traditional VIDEO_TS folders) that work as you describe. But with individual avi or mp4 files it insists on starting where I left off.

What I'm aiming for is ripping all of my episodic DVD's (mostly TV series) into individal episodes that can be selected from a playlist. I just want them to start at the beginning each time without having to rewind manually.
Try using this plugin for the default STV. Multi-function stop
So when you start a video and it plays where it left off hit stop. A dialog box comes uo and asks if you want to restart, resume or hit stop again. This should help. It is also built into the SageMC 16x9 STV.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Try using this plugin for the default STV. Multi-function stop
Cool. Thanks for the pointer. That seems to work well enough. I kind of wish it'd present those options when you first start the video, but hitting stop once seems intuitive enough for the wife.

Yeah, I tried using SageMC for awhile, but the wife didn't like it because she uses the placeshifter client on her laptop and she isn't one for learning two different interfaces. Good thing she's cute.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yeah, I tried using SageMC for awhile, but the wife didn't like it because she uses the placeshifter client on her laptop and she isn't one for learning two different interfaces. Good thing she's cute.
You can run SageMC on the placeshifter if you want to standardize the interface.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
You can run SageMC on the placeshifter if you want to standardize the interface.
I tried that some time ago, but it seemed as it the mouse control of the interface was really lacking. Seemed to require the use of a remote to do a lot of things. Has it been updated with better mouse control?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

There's a setting in detailed-setup advanced (maybe only in the unsupported extras) to "clear watched on play" or something to that effect.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I tried that some time ago, but it seemed as it the mouse control of the interface was really lacking. Seemed to require the use of a remote to do a lot of things. Has it been updated with better mouse control?

I haven't messed with mouse control of SageMC too much. Expecially with all the new code work done in SageMC, it may have changed. YOu may want to ask in the SageMC thread about current mouse support.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.