SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter Plus Ripped DVD's?

I know that Placeshifter can't handle ripped DVD's (at least I'm pretty sure of that...). So I was wondering what the limitation is here. I know that Nielms Webserver can handle streaming (transcoding) of ripped DVD's in their native format so is there any chance the Placeshifter could add this functionality or use the webadmin with some sort of "hack"?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

The only solution that I have found so far is to re-encode a DVD to a single MPEG-2 file. Not very elegant but it works.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd like to keep the dvd files intact rather than re-doing all of my ripped dvd's. I seriously have a giant box full of my DVD's that I ripped to my server so I'd rather not go through each one to re-encode to avi or mpeg.

Just wondering if there's any way to make the placeshifter "use" the webserver to play the ripped dvd's. Or better yet, SageTV could add it as a feature
Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree with you completely!

I guess the main reason it really doesn't bother me that much is my office(truck) still doesn't have internet access. It does have a DVD player though.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

If you import the VOB files separate from a DVD structure, I think you'll be able to play them by putting them all in a playlist. That's the way it was done on the MPV before extenders could navigate DVD menus.

I think you need to have only the VOB files in a dir for SageTV to treat them as just videos rather than a DVD.

BTW: as of beta 6.3.8, the DVD files don't need to be in a VIDEO_TS folder, but they do all still need to be together in one folder to be seen as a DVD.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Also this is pure speculation but I suspect SageTV does not want to get into a legal battle about streaming copyrighted content on the internet - and yes I know not all DVD are copyrighted. Even if the content providers have nothing to stand on just filing a suit would be costly.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Also this is pure speculation but I suspect SageTV does not want to get into a legal battle about streaming copyrighted content on the internet - and yes I know not all DVD are copyrighted. Even if the content providers have nothing to stand on just filing a suit would be costly.
I guess thats possible, but it wouldn't make much sense to worry about that for DVD's and not worry about it for MP3's and television would it?

I'm thinking its just a programming thing and will be a feature addition down the road (hopefully sooner than later). They could add it as a feature just as they did with the MVP (SD Extender).
Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I guess thats possible, but it wouldn't make much sense to worry about that for DVD's and not worry about it for MP3's and television would it?

I'm thinking its just a programming thing and will be a feature addition down the road (hopefully sooner than later). They could add it as a feature just as they did with the MVP (SD Extender).
Note they are not streaming CD's just MP3 which with my limited knowledge would be analogus to MPEG files and DVD's. You can stream MPEG files just like you can MP3's but you cannot play CD's or DVD's. Also since the recorded files have already been broadcast into your home SageTV has more to stand on with fair use laws. And like I said before this is just speculation and is most likely completely wrong but it is what I believe until I'm proven wrong.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 02-05-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added new last sentence
Old 02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
If you import the VOB files separate from a DVD structure, I think you'll be able to play them by putting them all in a playlist. That's the way it was done on the MPV before extenders could navigate DVD menus.
Alternately, you can just combine the main movie VOB's into a single mpeg using a simple copy command:

copy /b vob1.vob + vob2.vob + vob3.vob outputFile.mpg

no "reencoding" required. I believe VOB's are natively mpeg2 files. You lose the DVD "features" & menu, but personally, I don't want those on my media center.

You can usually figure out pretty easily which set are the main title vobs...it's typically the set with the largest file size.

After that, I just let sage convert to DivX/whatever if I want to save space
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalbik View Post
Alternately, you can just combine the main movie VOB's into a single mpeg using a simple copy command:

copy /b vob1.vob + vob2.vob + vob3.vob outputFile.mpg

no "reencoding" required. I believe VOB's are natively mpeg2 files. You lose the DVD "features" & menu, but personally, I don't want those on my media center.

You can usually figure out pretty easily which set are the main title vobs...it's typically the set with the largest file size.
If you were to do this, would it keep any subtitles? For example an english language movie, but subtitles (in english) for when they talk in foreign language.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Sage User

This is in my opinion a pretty big limitation on Placeshifter. I mean placeshifter seems to be the better option generally, but I need DVD playback (i'm only really thinking about locally on a LAN) and so I may have to go with the client, which is a shame because then I have to customise the client to use SageMC and other options, which is automatic on Placeshifter.

Plus, I seem to get smoother video with Client, rather than Placeshifter, any one know any reason for this? Possibly something to do with the fact my Server uses Vista RTM?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I think you'll be able to play them by putting them all in a playlist. That's the way it was done on the MPV before extenders could navigate DVD menus.
Has anyone successfully accomplished this? I tried with a couple different playlist formats and all I get is a black screen. Not sure if it's me or if it's just not possible.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I solved this by hooking an extender to a SlingBox.

B
Old 09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco340 View Post
Has anyone successfully accomplished this? I tried with a couple different playlist formats and all I get is a black screen. Not sure if it's me or if it's just not possible.
I never tried the playlist... but I did test playing a vob file from the video_ts dir and it worked, so I don't see any reason why the playlist method wouldn't work as well.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe the problem is the player needs access to not just the vobs, but the ifo files at the same time. I think Client fails to play DVDs too if it can't access the DVD files directly.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

VLC can stream DVDs. The web plugin does it just fine.

I think the problem is the navigation of DVD menus. If only SageTV would just play the main feature in the default language we'd be good.

B