SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

transferring over my movie collection

I am now ready to try to setup my movie collection in Sage and just want to verify that I have the steps correct before I begin.

I have a large drive that I have all my movies on. I have them in various formats (AVI, MPG, DVIX, etc). Right now, I have them all in a folder called Videos and previously I just used VLC to watch them.

What I think I need to do is:

1) Create a folder for each movie and copy each movie manually into its folder.

2) Tell Sage about this new video library source and let it scan the folder.

3) I use SageMC, so it should access the IMDB and try to find the cover art and information for the movies. It may not be able to do this because all it will have is the filename to go by. I may have to manually select the right one out of the list it finds in the IMDB.

4) When it finds the info, I should be able to save the information and it will get associated with the movie. Do I manually have to download a folder.jpg to be used as the thumbnail for each movie?

5) Those that it cannot find and sort will get dumped into an "unassigned" directory where I can help manually find the information in the IMDB.

That it? Or is there a better way?

thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Raoul,

I don't think you need to create a new folder for each file, though I tend to create directories to organise collections eg: "q:\video\Doctor Who s1-26" which gives you a single entry in the main video list, then a further sub directory for each episode if there are multiple parts eg:

Code:
q:\video\Doctor Who s1 - 26\s09e61 The Curse of Peladon\The Curse of Peladon 1-4
q:\video\Doctor Who s1 - 26\s09e61 The Curse of Peladon\The Curse of Peladon 2-4
q:\video\Doctor Who s1 - 26\s09e61 The Curse of Peladon\The Curse of Peladon 3-4
q:\video\Doctor Who s1 - 26\s09e61 The Curse of Peladon\The Curse of Peladon 4-4
If you have dvd's then they do require a directory of their own with the dvd structure inside.

You will probably need to do a manual imdb search for each item and then type the name of the show/movie and select the correct one. SageMC will then copy the available metadata and download the folder.jpg for you.

SageMC allows you to view by genre and groups but I've always opted to organise my collection via the directory structure.

Mick.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
I am now ready to try to setup my movie collection in Sage and just want to verify that I have the steps correct before I begin.

I have a large drive that I have all my movies on. I have them in various formats (AVI, MPG, DVIX, etc). Right now, I have them all in a folder called Videos and previously I just used VLC to watch them.

What I think I need to do is:

1) Create a folder for each movie and copy each movie manually into its folder.
That's just for DVDs, for DVDs, the folder is the "container" for the "DVD object" (for lack of a better description). For "normal" files (like those you mention above), you can just have them all piled into a single folder.

Quote:
2) Tell Sage about this new video library source and let it scan the folder.
You should just be able to point Sage at your current folder.

Quote:
3) I use SageMC, so it should access the IMDB and try to find the cover art and information for the movies. It may not be able to do this because all it will have is the filename to go by. I may have to manually select the right one out of the list it finds in the IMDB.

4) When it finds the info, I should be able to save the information and it will get associated with the movie. Do I manually have to download a folder.jpg to be used as the thumbnail for each movie?
I think it does that automatically.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

[Sorry for posting this initially in the wrong forum. I thought it was more of a sage general question, in spite of my using SageMC]

It sounds like I don't have to bother to sort them into their own folders unless I simply want to for my own organizational reasons. If I go ahead and just point Sage to the parent directory, it should do its thing. What happens if I later go back through and put them in their own child directories? When it rescans the folders, it should still find them?

Does all the associated information found on the IMDB get stored in the wiz.bin file then? I was thinking it got stored in the folder with the file, but that doesn't sound correct from what I am reading. If I want to choose my cover art, I need to have it in its own folder and then save the folder.jpg file that I want to use as the thumbnail?

thanks for the info!

Last edited by raoul; 02-14-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Info gets stored in the SageTV database. Cover art gets stored with the file, but I believe for "normal" files it's just he same name but with a jpg extension.