SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Angry Video aspect incorrect with MVP

When I play some of my AVI files on my MVP, the video aspect is wrong. When I play them via WMP or via SageTV on my HTPC, they play 16x9 with top and bottom a black band (normal). Good image. When I play the same file via the MVP, it gives a 4:3 image cutting of part of left and right image (very annoying). It's not the TV set, it's a problem how the server 'translates' the AVI into MPEG I guess - it does it totally wrong .

Any idea's?

Jan
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Sage Icon

Download MPEG4 modifier and set the Display AR: to 16:9 on the affected avi.
Then the MVP will display it correctly.

John
Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

John,

Thanks! Did try it, and it worked for one, not for the other avi file. I'll probably have to do some testing to get the correct process under control.

But at least I now got the tool to do it

Jan
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question In need of help

Ok, after having more and more issues with my HTPC, and as I was still running VISTA SP1 RC, I did this weekend re-install my HTPC. As anybody who has done this knows, you know when you start, not when you end

After basic install (VISTA Ultimate + VISTA Codecs + Office 2007 + SAGETV + some small tools) I checked again as I now want to get this resolved if possible (got to many AVI's having this 'problem' - so can't play them via MVP). And I still got the problem, even after using the tool to set the ratio in the AVI itself.

So now I'm in need of community support ...

Info: I'm running VISTA with their new user protection active, I'm running SageTV service, I have installed latest versions of SageTV and SageMC.

I believe that when I play the AVI file on the MVP, the SageTV service does convert the AVI on-the-fly into MPEG2. So my guess is that it's this conversion that goes wrong. It does convert a 16:9 signal into a 4:3, cutting off left and right of the picture (and .smi subtitles by the way).

Question: is this conversion done by SageTV itself (mpeg player defined in the setup)? Could changing that help me in any way? If yes, what are good options to change it into?
I want the MVP to show the 16:9 image with top and bottom black portions.

Question: as backup solution, to still allow me to look at these shows via my MVP, what is a good converter from AVI to MPEG2 or MPEG4, correctly converting this 16:9 movie so I can correctly play it on the MVP?

Note: I did notice just before re-installing, and noticed it again after re-installing, when playing such an AVI on the MVP, I press the yellow button (options) and select Ratio which is set to SOURCE. I used to get than options I could select from, now I get a nice blank option window - nothing to select ... Part of the problem?

If any additional info is required, do let me know. I can for instance provide AVI info (got that little tool displaying all codec info of an AVI).

Already a great thanks for any input and attempt to get this fixed,

Jan
Old 06-16-2008, 08:51 AM

I had this problem until I installed the XVID codecs on the server and it resolved the problem for me - obviously if they are not encoded with XVID then you might not have as much success!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Dann,

I checked wiht GSpot, and the video codec is indeed an XVID (Xvid ISO MPEG-4). GSpot says the codec(s) are installed - should be how else would they play on the HTPC itself.

FYI, I got VistaCodecs v4.7.0 pack installed.

What XVID did you install (how, what package)?
Are you running VISTA or another OS?

Jan
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
Dann,

I checked wiht GSpot, and the video codec is indeed an XVID (Xvid ISO MPEG-4). GSpot says the codec(s) are installed - should be how else would they play on the HTPC itself.

FYI, I got VistaCodecs v4.7.0 pack installed.

What XVID did you install (how, what package)?
Are you running VISTA or another OS?

Jan
I'm using the XVID codec, download from xvid.org, I dont have any other codec packages installed. Running on XP Pro SP3.

Might be worth removing the Vista codecs and installing the XVID package on its own as a test?

I found the same thing as you though, using the tool mentioned above to edit the aspect ratio would fix some files but not others - once the xvid coded was loaded everything has been ok since.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

The Xvid codec did not resolve the issue.

I'm a bit worried that when I press the yellow remote button when playing the movie, and then select aspect ratio, I get a blue square with no further options. That's on the MVP. On the HTPC I can than select source; fill, 16:9 or 4:3.

I'm wondering if I should not have installed the aspect ration STVi ...

Jan