SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Angry COMCAST constantly changing QAM channel assignments

I live just outside of Philadelphia, PA. In the past 3 weeks I had to rescan and remap my QAM channel assignments at least 6 times. It worked for over a year without issues until then.

Fortunately, I just needed to do this for the HDHOMERUN and not all of my TVs too because they all use SAGETV clients. They change so often that HDHOMERUN channel lineup server can't keep up with the assignments.

Is anyone else having this problem too?

I'd suspect calling Comcast wouldn't help either - it would only get them started on the values of their PVR, digital services, digital voice, yada yada yada...

john
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I think it wouldn't help calling them. I imagine that they would rather not provide anything in clear QAM. The more they realize that folks are "using" clear QAM, especially for recording, the worse off we'll be.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmdxtv View Post
I live just outside of Philadelphia, PA. In the past 3 weeks I had to rescan and remap my QAM channel assignments at least 6 times. It worked for over a year without issues until then.
They are doing that everywhere. My dad has just gotton into the habbit of doing a rescan once a week. At least they aren't moving the BIG 6 (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW and PBS) much. If they start doing that, I know my dad will YELL. (and I'm 5 hours away to fix things!)
Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
(and I'm 5 hours away to fix things!)
remote desktop or ultr@vnc perhaps? that's what I have setup for my parents.

So far the only unstable stuff here has been VOD and it has stayed on 84-x for some time. The number of sub channels seems to be determined by the number of streams in our area and varies from none to about 7-8.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Sage User

I'm in Wilmington, DE, and I'm having the same issue. It seems as though a couple times a week lately, I'll try to tune to an HD broadcast network only to find that Comcast has moved the QAM assignment. Very annoying...
Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmdxtv View Post

Fortunately, I just needed to do this for the HDHOMERUN and not all of my TVs too because they all use SAGETV clients. They change so often that HDHOMERUN channel lineup server can't keep up with the assignments.

Is anyone else having this problem too?

I'd suspect calling Comcast wouldn't help either - it would only get them started on the values of their PVR, digital services, digital voice, yada yada yada...

john
jlmdxtv,

Can I ask where you are? I am near Haverford and was just about to pick up the HDHR. I get all the OTA channels fine, though, and that's mostly what I watch, so maybe I should hold off on that purchase.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Sage User

Over the weekend Comcast in Houston area deleted many Clear QAM stations. I use to get TBS, History, ESPN, DSC, NatGeo, Universal HD, CNN in 16:9 HD. Now they are reduced to 4:3 SD. Only ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, GOLF, MOJO(?) and USA are 16:9 HD. They did add TCM.

My whole plan for HPTC running Sage is heading South fast.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
remote desktop or ultr@vnc perhaps? that's what I have setup for my parents.
Have that setup, but hard to verify the channels, as the screen update is too slow. I can configure them, then check them with placeshifter, but that would be a HUGE pain if some are messed up.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Willieb,

I live in Wynnewood. To me it's worth just rescanning the channels on the HDHOMERUM when there is a channel change because HD is so much nicer. I'm good at it now, it takes about 15 minutes to check them all - I also use a spreadsheet to keep it organized.

I tried a roof antenna early on, but since I live on the side of a hill (between me and the Roxborough towers) I didn't get ideal reception. You can always attach an antenna to the HDHOMERUN too. Most of Haverford should have GREAT reception with those towers.

BTW: Comcast QAM in Wynnewood doesn't provide much more than what's available on an antenna.

john