SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Sage User

Video freezes during playback - need help

Guys,
I just started experimenting with "imported" videos that I've download. I tried an AVI video and throughout the video the video just stops while the audio keeps playing. I'm not sure what to check. I'm open to any suggestion. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Which video decoder are you using? If you are having trouble with the SageTV mpeg-4 decoder, try install a different codec. If you do or already have, make sure you've selected DirectShow as your video decoder/filter for mpeg-4 content. I'm personally using ffdshow, and it seems to work fine.

I recently performed a complete reinstall on my machine and have been suffering from the dreaded ati2dvag error. Basically, I my machine chokes on video and it begins like you describe. I doubt your problem is the same, but my solution has been to lower the hardware acceleration on my machine. You could give that a whirl first if you like to see if you are having a similar issue.

Good luck,

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Sage User

Steve,
Thanks for the information. Keep in mind that I'm new to ALL of this so hopefully if will be straight forward. Where does one "down load another codec" and which one does one download? I guess I need to "study" up on codecs.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Just so we're clear here. The HD Extender doesn't use any codecs. Any decoding is done in hardware. If it tries to play a format that it doesn't support the server will transcode it to a format it does support. Same goes for the MediaMVP. Your Windows PC clients would use a software video decoder like Cyberlink PowerDVD or nVidia Purevideo.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Just so we're clear here. The HD Extender doesn't use any codecs. Any decoding is done in hardware. If it tries to play a format that it doesn't support the server will transcode it to a format it does support. Same goes for the MediaMVP. Your Windows PC clients would use a software video decoder like Cyberlink PowerDVD or nVidia Purevideo.

Gerry
So what are my options. Should I open up a support ticket on the HD100? When watching this particular video the CPU on the server isn't moving so that leads me to believe that the server isn't doing any decoding as you say.

Where does one enable logging for the HD100 so I can send a log with the support ticket. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

AVI is a wrapper for a video file. You'll need to find out exactly what type of file it is. Use a program like Mediainfo to find out what the actual video compression it is using. It could be:
Quote:
ISO/IEC: MJPEG · MPEG-1 · MPEG-2 · MPEG-4 ASP · MPEG-4/AVC
ITU-T: H.120 · H.261 · H.262 · H.263 · H.264
Others: AMV · AVS · Bink · Dirac · Indeo · MJPEG · Pixlet · RealVideo · RTVideo · SheerVideo · Smacker · Snow · Theora · VC-1 · VP6 · VP7 · WMV
You can always open a support ticket but they'll want to know the same info also. Are yo having any issues with any other file types or any of the Online Videos?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

BTW: SageTV's Video Detail screen for the video should list the video format.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Sage Expert

Last night I had opposite problem with HD media extender. The video kept playing but the sound stopped. It happened always at the same place in the file I was watching. I had to stop the playback and restart to get the sound working again because also the ffwd didnt work correctly. After few seconds forwarding it started showing the same scene over and over again.