SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Media Extender MVP "Dance"

I've had a problem with my Media Extender MVP pretty much from the get go, July '07. Initializing the MVP successfully requires a (always changing) sequence of steps I refer to as "The Dance." (With the advent of thunderstorms here in Fla, occasional power outages inadvertently recycle the MVP while the HTPC is off.) BTW, the MVP is hard-wired.
First, it seems that the manner of powering the MVP on/off has its own steps.(HTPC on and network up.) If I plug,unplug from the power jack on the back, successful power up is 50/50 at best.Plugging/unplugging the wall pack seems to be a bit more reliable. Today I plugged the wall pack into a power strip, so I could use the on/off switch. Sometimes the status bars are a mottled white/blue, and that attempt fails. Sometimes 3 of the 5 bars will turn blue, then nothing further. If boot up is OK past that screen: MVP will search for streaming server, and find none. SageTV running or not, this attempt will always fail. Now, if SageTV was running, I must close it down and try searching again. Of course, this ,too will fail. Now, I reopen SageTV, and the search will usually succeed, but not always.(If not, I must repeat the previous 2 steps.) After saving the settings, the MVP then moves on to checking the network. Sometimes this is where the process halts, checking the network ad infinitum. Another failure. But, sometimes, all works OK, and I smile again.
I'm running SageTV version 6 and not sure of firmware in MVP. Not sure how to find exact version of either.
Anybody have experience with this, or ideas?? My feet are getting tired.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Sage Icon

1. Are you running Sage in Service mode?

2. What router / DHCP server are you using?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Media MVP "Dance"

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. I open Sage,I am unsure what the "service mode"is. Whatever way it opens is the way I run it.

2. I am using a Linksys WRT54G router, all hard wired.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Sage Icon

Start>Programs>SageTV>SageTV Service Control

Tell it to enable the service and fill in whatever else. If you use network storage provide login information to use your user account to run under.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Sage Expert

I have almost the exact problem but not always or consistent but every so often. I only need to restart the server once and then it seems to work. However, it has only happened about 4 or 5 times but this could be because my power does not go out as often. (bought my system and MVPs same time you did, July '07)

Service mode

Hardwired, WRT56G. Could this be it?
I have Gb everywhere else but nothing plugged directly into the router, just internet to the first Gb switch.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Hardwired, WRT56G. Could this be it?
I have Gb everywhere else but nothing plugged directly into the router, just internet to the first Gb switch.
I can't say it's doing anything wrong but I know using tftpd32 as an DHCP server on the sage box fixed all my connection troubles. Mine connect 100% and load very quickly.

Is your MVP plugged into the same switch as the server?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

"Start>Programs>SageTV>SageTV Service Control"

OK. I open SageTV Service Control. How should the settings be set?

" Is your MVP plugged into the same switch as the server?"

It was in the beginning,(I still had the same problem) however, now there is a switch between the HTPC and the router.

Last edited by Ronno6; 04-04-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
How should the settings be set?
Enable
Start
Change User
put in your username / password (must have PW)
Enable Service Recovery

Quote:
It was in the beginning,(I still had the same problem) however, now there is a switch between the HTPC and the router.
Having them on the same switch is best, otherwise I would suggest installing tftpd32 as a system service and diabling the one on the Linksys.

You might also try the DDWRT firmware if it applies to your version number.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Enable
Start
Change User
Enable Service Recovery

Hmm, now I'm in it! I don't recall setting up a password, and, if I did, it is not my usual. Can I find that anywhere? Also, before I got into password trouble, hitting START yielded a message that said "Could not start in a timely manner" or words to that effect. Now it says"Login attempt faled"

Having them on the same switch is best, otherwise I would suggest installing tftpd32 as a system service and diabling the one on the Linksys.

You might also try the DDWRT firmware if it applies to your version number.
OK, guys, I'm a newbie at this (as if you couldn't tell) and the last couple of lines are somewhat Greek to me.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm also not schooled on how to use the "quotes" and insert a reply !!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Sage Icon

DD-WRT = Alternate firmware for many routers. Not for the faint of heart, as it requires some computer knowledge to get it running without bricking your router. Some versions of the WRT54G don't have enough memory to support it. (FWIW, I use this firmware on my WRT54G, and my MVPs are happy with it.) www.dd-wrt.com

Last edited by matt91; 04-04-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there a way to reset my user name/password?

Nevermind- I figured that one out!

OK On service mode-now what??

Last edited by Ronno6; 04-04-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Is there a way to reset my user name/password?
If you are talking about the user name/password on the router, yes. Put a paperclip in the reset hole in the back and hold it for 10 seconds.
WAIT. Doing so resets all the settings on your router.... Just FYI.

default user name is <blank> and password is admin.

By the way, use the quote button. Then take out the text that is not relevant. Leave everything in the brackets intact.

Quote:
I can't say it's doing anything wrong but I know using tftpd32 as an DHCP server on the sage box fixed all my connection troubles. Mine connect 100% and load very quickly.
I just might have to try that.
Quote:
Is your MVP plugged into the same switch as the server?
No. 3 switches in between. Long run. (106', 50+50+6)
Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

[QUOTE=CollinR;275846]Enable
Start
Change User
Enable Service Recovery

OK. I've got past that part. The program requested and I granted access to the internet. Now what happens, or, what do I do?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Sage Icon

Hopefully that fixed you significantly.

You should power down everything then hopefully your future connections should be better.

Power the MVP up 5 minutes after you power up the rest of the stuff, the inital connection between MVP and server after power loss is critical. You are loading all of the instructions on to the MVP during this time. Once done try not to remove power to the MVP, just use the On/Off button on the remote.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
No. 3 switches in between. Long run. (106', 50+50+6)
You have the 4* button remote and SPDIF jack on your MVP?

If not try to trade up to one, the later model is more forgiving. Basically there must be some sort of time limit for the entire process to complete, it seems this was extended on the newer ones.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
You have the 4* button remote and SPDIF jack on your MVP?
Yes, I do have that version.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
DD-WRT = Alternate firmware for many routers. Not for the faint of heart, as it requires some computer knowledge to get it running without bricking your router. Some versions of the WRT54G don't have enough memory to support it. (FWIW, I use this firmware on my WRT54G, and my MVPs are happy with it.) www.dd-wrt.com
What exactly does this do for you? I tried looking at the website but a lot (including documentation) is in German. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, CollinR. I'll try it from there. That 5 minute window might have been the problem all along. Dunno for sure. I've also stumbled upon the SageTV user's manual online, and downloaded it. Maybe if I'd read the directions..............

BTW how DOES one use the "quotes" and then add comments to it?? Thanks for your help and that of all the forum members.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I've also stumbled upon the SageTV user's manual online, and downloaded it.
BTW: The SageTV installer places the manual in the SageTV install dir, where sagetv.exe is located.

Quote:
BTW how DOES one use the "quotes" and then add comments to it?? Thanks for your help and that of all the forum members.
In your previous use of the Quote feature, you removed the closing [/quote] that the forum automatically adds when you quote a post -- the quote has to start with [quote] and end with [/quote]. For more info about the tags that can be used in posts, see the vB Code List.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.