SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Slow VNC - Possible to speed up?

When I'm in the Sage UI over VNC it is frustratingly slow. When I am just in windows explorer or something it's really quick. I know that the Sage UI is much more graphical than just windows explorer, but it doesn't seem that I'm network limited, because when I hit screen refresh it reloads right away. It seems more like VNC isn't refreshing as fast as it could.

I'm using UltraVNC, but if I need to switch to fix this I would in a heartbeat. I've search the forums to no avail, and I took a stab at the millions of settings and that didn't seem to help.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
flips
Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you have animations enabled in Sage? If so, try turning them off. Fade and zoom effects are performance killers for RDP and VNC.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Gotta understand that VNC is simply passing pixels from one machine to the next for display. Lots of work involved in transmission, and it certainly won't be speedy... Greg's idea should help some, but I'm sure you'll still have some struggles. G'luck.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 04-21-2008, 07:28 AM
SageTVaholic

I use VNC for my server, but only when I need to restart or I want to update Sage. It is slow, but as stated already, its a limitation of most versions of VNC.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Sage Icon

Maybe you should consider using a KVM, possibly with longer cables depending on how far the server is located from your operating position. I use a KVM now, but all the computers are located close to the operating position.

I am going to be relocating my SageTV server to the basement using a KVM and long cables. It will be nice to have a totally quiet operating position. I am still working to find a good path to route the cables.

Dave
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Which VNC are you using?

Which version of VNC are you using? Urp ... UltraVNC ...

Are you using the mirror driver?

Bobby
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server

Last edited by perfessor101; 04-21-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: missed the UltraVNCpart ...
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

wow. thanks for all the responses. I do love this forum...

So I was checking versions of ultravnc, and I realized that I was still running realvnc as the server. So I updated that to ultravnc, and now I don't see any of the UI. I was in FSE, but disabling that didn't help. hmm.. so it looks like I just took a bit of a step backwards. I will try uninstalling and then re-installing to see if that helps.

Maybe a KVM is the way to go.

Thanks again guys. I will update you on how it goes.

flips
Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

There are KVM extenders that work over Cat5 for long distances
Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Sage Icon

What are you tring to do via VNC?

It will never be acceptable to use placeshifter style and if you are only doing maintenance you shouldn't be in Sage.

Some tips though...

Reduce your desktop resolution to 640x480 or 800x600.
Make sure the display adapter hook is installed.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
What are you tring to do via VNC?

It will never be acceptable to use placeshifter style and if you are only doing maintenance you shouldn't be in Sage.

Some tips though...

Reduce your desktop resolution to 640x480 or 800x600.
Make sure the display adapter hook is installed.
Be cautious of the hook driver... it broke some display drivers for me a while back?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

The hook driver works great for me except for one thing. The real mouse doesn't get moved, it's put back where it was when you're done. Since one the the reasons I VNC is frequently to move the mouse to the corner, this is unnaceptable to me.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Here's what I found: After updating to ultravnc and enabling the video driver it wouldn't let me run sage in FSE. So I disabled that and I was able to use the UI without issue.

Also, I found that it was much faster using UltraVNC server than it was with RealVNC.

I'm not trying to do place shifting, I was just trying to work through the UI to setup some STVI's etc....

Turns out my problem was fixed by going to UltraVNC server, which I thought I was already doing when I posted the question.

I did look at KVM over CAT5.. very cool, but pretty expensive...

Thanks,
flips
Old 04-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Sage User

VNC or UltraVNC have never worked great for me.

Since I travel alot and I need to support my home systems abroad...
I have tried RealVNC, UltraVNC, and others and found best results with a version called TeamViewer. Firewalls were always a problem and this did not.

That said, any FTP software will be slow - no way around it.
If you are using Wifi in any part of the comunication path (e.g. HTPC or laptop is on the network via Wifi) expect poor performance. Even if a wifi is connected to the network on the same switch, usually that device will slow the overall performace of that network. If you can avoid it, then turn or log them off. Communciations via residental High Speed Internet connections can also be slow (only if you are off site).

Also, any FTP software used will have video render issues and some can cause stability issues. In some modes (as prev discussed) VNC will cause stability issues and crash the STV on the system.

TeamViewer was the only software I have found have little to no effect on stability.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Don't know much about your setup and VNC, but have you tried using A Sage Placeshifter client instead of the VNC? It works quite well assuming a decent speed connection.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there any reason not to use remote desktop? I work with the GUI all the time, and remote desktop is extremely fast in this scenario.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
Is there any reason not to use remote desktop? I work with the GUI all the time, and remote desktop is extremely fast in this scenario.
hmm, I use RDP/TermServer *all* the time and where its pretty darn good, I've not had good success at watching video of any respectable size through it. But maybe, staying within an internal Network it may work better. Then again under that scenario, I'd use the Sage Client, as I do at home, which would be much better.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

the video playback won't work, but it's perfect to manage the server through the SageTV gui.