SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Sage User

Restarting Sage in service mode

Is there a way to restart Sage in service mode from a placeshifter client? I have been using placeshifter a short time now and it will sometimes lock up on me while doing one thing or another. When this happens nothing functions on Sage until I can get to the server to stop Sage in service mode and restart it. I can still access the server when this happens but Sage playback functions will not work. If there is no other way I may set up remote desktop and restart it from that direction. Has anyone else run into this and if so what has been your method to resolve the problem?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

If you can VPN into your home LAN, you can restart services remotely using MMC as described here.

You could also presumably create a batch file to restart the service using net stop and net start, and then link the batch file to a Sage menu item using the dynamic menu plugin.

That said, in your shoes I would spend some time with debug logs trying to figure out why it's locking up in the first place.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

A different but related question: what's the easiest way to do a recurring, automated stop/start of the Sage service? I'd like to do this once a week or so in the middle of the night. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Pretty much the same answer: create a batch file that calls net stop and net start, and set it up as a Scheduled Task in Control Panel.

But again, if your service needs weekly restarts to run reliably, that could be a symptom of a deeper problem.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the input. I'm not having issues that require a restart, I was just thinking a periodic restart would be good practice. Maybe I'm overthinking things.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Sage Icon

I do a once weekly net stop / net start, during which I backup my wiz.bin and .properties files.

I do this at like 3 am - a time when I have never seen anything being recorded. If I had shows that might be scheduled during this time, I would possibly rethink this strategy. However, it seems a very safe time of day for me.

I'm going on ~90 days of (headless) server uptime, so it seems to be working pretty well.

Just my 2 cents.
Matt

PS since I don't have autoscan enabled for imported media, new videos would be detected as the service is coming back online. I don't think that I'd otherwise ever detect new videos.