SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 05-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Sage Icon

To Blu-ray or not?

I see now that there has been some good success playing back Blu-ray on the HD100. I've been avoiding Blu-ray since I didn't want to buy a $300 player to put in my living room and have it not be integrated with Sage, so this is a great development.

Now that we are here, I'm ready to spend a few bucks on putting a BD drive in my computer and start buying BD titles.

Here's my main concern: Will I really notice the quality difference? I rip my DVDs to hard drive in full quality already, and the HD100 seems to do a great job upscaling them to my TV - which is only 1080i (and rear projection, albeit DLP (Toshiba 46HM95)) . Is anyone else playing Blu-ray content on a 1080i TV? Does Blu-ray quality come through much much better on a 1080p LCP/Plasma? If so, I'll wait longer since I'm not ready to upgrade my TV.

Thanks for any and all opinions!
-Kevin
Old 05-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJake View Post
Here's my main concern: Will I really notice the quality difference? I rip my DVDs to hard drive in full quality already, and the HD100 seems to do a great job upscaling them to my TV - which is only 1080i (and rear projection, albeit DLP (Toshiba 46HM95)) . Is anyone else playing Blu-ray content on a 1080i TV? Does Blu-ray quality come through much much better on a 1080p LCP/Plasma? If so, I'll wait longer since I'm not ready to upgrade my TV.
Picture quality is fantastic. It was easy to see a difference for me. Pain-in-the-arse factor was WAY high. I'm not willing to deal with the ripping/muxing for a movie I'll only watch once and then return to Netflix. I'm looking at eventually building a Sage client in the living room with a BD-rom drive in it. <sigh>
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm playing Bluray on a 1080i 65" TV and it looks great!

As far as comparing it to a 1080p display I don't know the difference as I don't have one.

As far as comparing it to a DVD, I don't know either because I don't have the same movie in both formats.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Sage User

I playback Blu Ray and DVD with a PC on a 52" 1080p LCD. The DVD's look good, but the Blu Ray looks better to me. Brighter, sharper colors and more detail. I'm considering adding the HD100 to my setup to up the WAF of Sage. I am slowly migrating her to 100% Sage for TV watching.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait on this until I move my whole home theatre downstairs (after finishing the basement first :/).