SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Sage User

Sage screen not repainting

I seem to be having some issues with the Sage screen. When I start Sage, the first screen is fine, but each progressive menu I click on only partially clears the screen. Consequently I get a gradual buildup on the screen with letters from previous screens. This continues until I can no longer see which option is which.

I also note that when I first installed Sage, this was not an issue, but at one point I was trying to transfer my settings from one PC to another and when I copied a folder (can' t remember which), this started happening.

Since then I uninstalled Sage, deleted the program files\sage tv folder and then reinstalled, but to no avail.

I attach a screenshot to illustrate.

Any suggestions where I should be looking to fix this?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.JPG (79.4 KB, 254 views)
Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Sage User

My Sage.properties file

Here is my Sage.properties file. I had to delete my epg/channel lineup entries to reduce the size to fit...
Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Sage Icon

If I had to guess, I'd say that it is a missing background file.

You may need to enable the hidden features with the 5309 command. then you can go to detailed setup >customize >set background image.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Administrator

db533: you can attach a properties file just like you attached the image, though you may have to zip it or change the extension to .txt first. It doesn't need to be posted inline.

If you enabled the hidden extras, then see ke6guj's post above. If you didn't, then disable any customizations & see if it still occurs.

Usually, this would be caused by a missing background image, but that normally leaves the background blank/black. You do have a background image being shown somewhere along the way. Make sure that Java is up to date on your system. Also check DirectX and your video card drivers.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Sage User

Here is my Sage.properties file...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sage.zip (8.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

I get the same video problem on my server, but not right away and not all the time. My Sage starts out fine, but after using it a few days this "video buildup" problem occurs. My screen looks just like the one attached at the beginning of this thread. Quitting Sage and restarting it fixes the problem.

I upgraded my video card from a FX5200 to a 7600GS (AGP) and the problem stayed on the server. My Nvidia drivers, DirectX and Java are all up to date.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

My clients were doing this sometimes before I stopped allowing the OS to switch the nics off for power saving. Not had the problem since unchecking the boxes in the nics power management tabs
Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

For me sometimes I can reproduce this error if I minimize my Sage to the desktop then restore it. I've never found a solution, it only happens on my server, even though it has similar hardware to my clients.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage User

OK, I tried switching off power saving and also tried disabling unused nics. This doesn't seem to help.

I know this started when I copied my SageTV folder from one PC to another after having installed the software to a new PC (same OS = XP) using the exact same installation file I used for the first PC. I thought that this could not be an issue and would ensure that I transfered all the settings. Instead I got this video issue which certainly was not there on the new PC before I did the copying...

mystified... any ideas, anyone?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Does that mean you copied your properties file from one PC to the other? If so, remove it and its .autobackup copy & reconfigure. Copying the properties file from one PC to another is not recommended.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

For me my background file is set, but if I minimize Sage and restore it, it is like the background file is gone, and my background is black. Resetting it while the screen is scrambled doesn't seem to help.

What has helped for me is disabling Overlay Color Keying.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had this problem on one of my clients.
Whilst having a good cleanup of the machine I found that I had 3 versions of java installed, and removing all but the latest seemed to solve the problem.

Perhaps have a look in Add/Remove Programs to see if you have a similar problem.
Antec Sonata III, Abit AN-M2HD, AMD 4200+, Thermalright SI-128 Cooler, 2GB OCZ DDR2, 2x500Gb + 1x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II, Hauppauge Nova-T500, Technotrend 3200-S2 with CI, Oasis II CAM. Windows XP Home SP3, Logitech Harmony 525. Logitech DiNovo Edge
Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the suggestion, I did check for this. I only have update 5 listed in my add/remove programs list.

My problem seems to be Sage losing the background image after you minimize and restore the client window. I have no idea what to try next, I'm thinking of going to an earlier Nvidia driver.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

For my screen problems, increasing Java Heap size seems to have solved them.

I found the threads describing searching the registry for the JavaHeap entry for Sage, and changed my value from 0 to 200 hex.

I can now minimize my SageTV, then restore it with no screen corruption or background issues. Raising this value also seemed to solve some other issues I was having as well.

Hope this helps someone else with a frustrating problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Sage User

... and for me the trick was to install the latest Java runtime. Everything works fine now! Thanks for the assistance!