SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Record *both* HD and SD version of a favourite?

I'm in the process of setting up my HDHomerun for OTA broadcasts. So now I will soon be able to get several of my favourites in HD from the various stations transmitting in my area. However I do have plain old analog cable as well (attached to five analog tuners utilised by SageTV). At least during the first few months while I test to make sure my OTA reception is stable (and to avoid affecting WAF), I'd like to ensure that any favourites that record on the HDHR in HD also record on one of my analog tuners in SD. That way if my OTA recordings have dropouts or other issues then I'll have the SD version to fall back on.

I realize of course that I could make the SD recordings manual but that would mean actively monitoring the EPG to mark SD shows for recording as they come up. Instead I'd like SageTV to always record both the HD and SD version of the show when available.

I suppose I'll eventually figure out a workaround once I get the system up and running but I was hoping that someone out there had the same requirement and had already developed a solution for it.

Any way to make this happen?

Regards
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 06-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator

I think that people have been creating two Favs, with one limited to the SD channel(s) and on limited to the HD channel(s).

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I think that people have been creating two Favs, with one limited to the SD channel(s) and on limited to the HD channel(s).

- Andy
That's what I did.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Excellent solution - I was wondering myself how to accomplish this, but didn't spend too much time on it. The pilot of Swingers was gibberish the other day due to crappy HD signal for some reason. Wish I had it at least in SD as a backup. A Digital HD OTA signal is a BEAUTIFUL thing when it works - but unbearable (at least to me) when it "digitizes" excessively....
Old 06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you're talking about Swingtown, you can watch the entire episode online at the cbs web site. Just google swingtown and go to the main site for the show. It's not HD, but it's better than nothing.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the replies!

Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

Hmmm...I just got to thinking. I think I'll use this technique to be able to have captions on my HDPVR recordings. Just have to write a batch or something with DirMon to extract the captions from the SD recording and make a copy of the caption file for the HD recording's filename. Then use the Caption Playback import to show the captions.

I refuse to enable captions on the STB and have them embedded graphically in the recording.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage Expert

Excuse my ignorance and sorry about the thread hijack. I am just curious why would people want closed captions other than for a deaf person? It just seems to me that there is something more to it and I just have not seen it yet. Apparently a lot of people do care about this. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

One thing that is cool with cc that I have seen in WMC or VMC is when you mute the sound the cc shows up.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Excuse my ignorance and sorry about the thread hijack. I am just curious why would people want closed captions other than for a deaf person? It just seems to me that there is something more to it and I just have not seen it yet. Apparently a lot of people do care about this. Thanks.
I have a 7 month old who makes a LOT of noise while she is hanging out with us in the living room and without captions I have to constantly rewind to be able to figure out what someone said. I could turn it up but then I'd blow my ears out with all the racket.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox View Post
I have a 7 month old who makes a LOT of noise while she is hanging out with us in the living room and without captions I have to constantly rewind to be able to figure out what someone said. I could turn it up but then I'd blow my ears out with all the racket.
Ah, I see. Mine are a little older so I just give them a dirty look, rewind button ONCE. Or a pause, follow by a "Do you mind?" If it really gets bad, I just point to the door. They know what I mean.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

If physically possible, I suggest you hook your existing cable to the HDHR and see what clear QAM channels you are able to recieve. It should be everything you can get OTA. This would eleminate the drop outs.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoundz View Post
If you're talking about Swingtown, you can watch the entire episode online at the cbs web site. Just google swingtown and go to the main site for the show. It's not HD, but it's better than nothing.
Thanks! Hadn't thought of that... I will check it out...
Old 06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics4lif View Post
If physically possible, I suggest you hook your existing cable to the HDHR and see what clear QAM channels you are able to recieve. It should be everything you can get OTA. This would eleminate the drop outs.
Well... I SO wish I could do that! My Apartment building is prewired with some kind of crazy AT&T (DISH) Satellite/Cable combo, included in the lease. They have cut out everything but Analog in the whole building "cable" system - unless you rent the converter boxes for HD/subscribed channels, which I haven't wanted to deal with... But, now that the Hauppauge thing is out, I may go down that road in a couple months...