SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ignore "The " when sorting Movies, etc.

I have all my movies in my library, and I'm looking at altering the sort order, such that movies titled "The *" get sorted in like everything else, but without the "The ". So, a movie like "The Bucket List", would fall under the B's, and not the T's. Is this possible? Would it be better to go through and change them all so they match this format, "Bucket List, The"?

Also, what about titles like, "A Good Year"? Would it be better to put them like "Good Year, A"? or can I do something similar like with "The ", and sort it as "Good Year"?

Keep in mind, I have about 530 movies in my collection.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

3x HD100 HD Extenders
Old 06-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Sage Expert

+1, sorting in general shold be improved, e.g. I haven't found an easy way how to sort playlist.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree as well.

I do use SageMC and have this request in there also, but it sure would be nice to be an option on the default STV.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Sage Icon

This is the onw consitsent thing my wife has b1tched about since day 1... she worked in a library for some time and it is totally unacceptable...
Not to mention it really crowds the T's
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Sage Icon

I'd like some way to "force" a sort order, even if it wasn't alphabetical. Then you wouldn't have to worry about "A" or "The".

Specifically, this would allow you to order movies within a series that don't have a number (say, the five Harry Potter movies, which don't go by "Harry Potter I", "Harry Potter II", etc.).
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I'm coming from an iTunes world, but the MP4 files I'm creating have tons of fields tagged properly, and what I've noticed iTunes does, is that it takes Movies with those titles, say, "The Bucket List", and then it puts in for sort name "Bucket List". It just always drops the "The " and "A " s. Then iTunes sorts by the Sort Name field, and Displays the Name field. I have a lot of extra T's if you go solely by filename.

3x HD100 HD Extenders
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Sage User

I would love to have this feature as well
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Sage Icon

This is possible when using DVD Profiler.

In DVD Profiler each DVD has the following properties:
Movie Title
Sort Title
Original Title
Movie Title is what SageMC displays in the UI.
Sort Title is not used.

To find the movies, Sage matches the folder name against the "Movie Title" and the "Original Title". So if you want to have the displayed title different than the folder name just name the "Original Title" to the folder name and the "Movie Title" to what you want displayed in the UI. In the file system view Sage will arrange the DVD's alphabetically by the folder name (aka your modified original title above).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sagedvd.JPG (167.8 KB, 214 views)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Still, the underlying issue is within Sage to filter out the the "the".
The music library has the same problem, e.g. The Beatles are under T and Beatles are under B. Offcourse, I could rename all the artists to omit "the", but that doesn't sound like the right approach to me.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Still, the underlying issue is within Sage to filter out the the "the".
The music library has the same problem, e.g. The Beatles are under T and Beatles are under B.
Yup totally agree. The sorting functions definitely need some work.
Quote:
Offcourse, I could rename all the artists to omit "the", but that doesn't sound like the right approach to me.
And ya that definitely doesn't seem like the right approach.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post
I have all my movies in my library, and I'm looking at altering the sort order, such that movies titled "The *" get sorted in like everything else, but without the "The ". So, a movie like "The Bucket List", would fall under the B's, and not the T's. Is this possible? Would it be better to go through and change them all so they match this format, "Bucket List, The"?

Also, what about titles like, "A Good Year"? Would it be better to put them like "Good Year, A"? or can I do something similar like with "The ", and sort it as "Good Year"?
I needed a relatively small and simple java project to get my feet wet doing java programming and SageTV integration so I started to fool around with this idea and have it working... kind of. I use SageMC so that's what I am modifying. It's not ready for primetime yet but when it gets a little more polished I will post an STVi. My question is: Where in the STV is information sorted that we want to change? I use SageTV primarily for TV and Videos so I don't know all the places. For example I have it working for the Recorded TV screen when sorted by AiringTitle. I also plan on implementing it for the the MyVideos Screens when in Filesystem view. And Artist Name for Music Albums. Where else should the sorting change?

I am currently sorting out "A " and "The ". Are there any other prefixes we want to sort?
Check out TVExplorer