SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

JVL Stock Manager for SageMC V2.0.0

I just completed my first attempt at a SageMC STVi. It is a stock quote plugin that provides stock quotes and charts from Yahoo Finance. Let me know what you guys think. Suggestions or criticism is welcome.

Version History

6/16/2008 - Version 1.0
  • Initial Release

10/29/2008 - Version 2.0
  • Added auto refresh with an adjustable time frame between 30 and 1000 secs
  • Updated look and feel of main stock page
  • Added % Change column to the main stock page
  • Added quote date column to the main stock page
  • Added number formatting to all of the number columns
  • Revamped stock info download to happen in background
  • Fixed vertical scroll bar on the main stock page
  • Added left as back to the main stock page
  • Added a detail page that shows all of the stocks values on one page
  • Added news headlines from the yahoo rss feeds

ToDo:
1. I just noticed that the add stock dialog box does not work with the remote. Use the property file to add new stocks as a work around Done
2. The quality of the Graphs is not very good on the HD100. Done
3. There does not seem to be a horizontal scroll bar available in SageMC. I need to add that.

Download
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=236

Pictures:

Stock Main Menu

Options

Stock Graphs

Stock Details

Stock Headlines

Last edited by jvl711; 10-30-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Nice. I'll be trying it out tonight hopefully.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM
SageTVaholic

So a week later I've finally gotten back to this. Installed it and have a menu item and the main screen. I can't get the options menu to come up though. Do I just hit <Ctrl> O or <Esc> to get that menu? If so somethings not working for me.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
So a week later I've finally gotten back to this. Installed it and have a menu item and the main screen. I can't get the options menu to come up though. Do I just hit <Ctrl> O or <Esc> to get that menu? If so somethings not working for me.
Are you reffering to the screen with the add and remove stocks. If so then it is the option command(<ctrl> o, or what ever you have it mapped to). It will only work though if you have a stock selected. Did you by chance delete the default symbol? If so then you might have to go into the properties file and re add a stock manually. I did not think about there being no stocks.

Change this property if there a no stocks on the screen jvl/stockmanager/stock_list. The values are comma delineated.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Are you reffering to the screen with the add and remove stocks.
Yes. I did a <ctrl> O and nothing happened.

Quote:
Did you by chance delete the default symbol? If so then you might have to go into the properties file and re add a stock manually. I did not think about there being no stocks.
I didn't delete the default stock symbol, there never was one as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Change this property if there a no stocks on the screen jvl/stockmanager/stock_list. The values are comma delineated.
where do I find that property? Is it in "Sage.properies" or some other file?

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Yes. I did a <ctrl> O and nothing happened.

I didn't delete the default stock symbol, there never was one as far as I can tell.

where do I find that property? Is it in "Sage.properies" or some other file?

Thanks,
The property is stored in the client properties. So it should be SageClient.properties???

Are you running as a service, and did you restart after you copied the files for the plugin into the sage directy? Do you have debug logging on? Is there any errors in the debug log? Do you have the jvlstockmanager.jar in the JARs directory?

Sorry I am not being more helpful. I am new to the plugin thing, and I am not sure of all the right questions to ask. I really hope you can get it to work, I would like to see what you think of it.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

No problem. I just ran out of time last night to tinker with it. I'll get it working tonight and report back.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Great work!

Did you use the new 6.4.4 export STVi feature?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Great work!

Did you use the new 6.4.4 export STVi feature?
No I did not. I used GKusnick's Studio Tools, which worked great. The documentation surrounding creating STVi's is the most confusing part of the whole process. I found that GKusnick's Studio Tools really simplified the process.

I was not able to find documentaion on how to use the new generate STVi function in Studio. Hopefully when it is released they will update the Studio manual.

Where you able to get the import to work? I just want to make sure I am not sending Brent on a wild goose chase if there is a problem with what I distributed.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The property is stored in the client properties. So it should be SageClient.properties???
I don't see it in either Sage.properties or in SageClient.properties
I did find it in STVs\SageTV3\JVLStockManager.xml
It shows this in that file:
Code:
   <Action Name="StockManager=new_jvl_StockQuote_stockManager(GetProperty(&quot;jvl/stockmanager/stock_list&quot;, &quot;^DJI&quot;))">
Quote:
Are you running as a service
Yes
Quote:
and did you restart after you copied the files for the plugin into the sage directy?
Yes
Quote:
Do you have the jvlstockmanager.jar in the JARs directory?
Yes

UPDATE:
So I checked again and there was no default stock. Shut down the service and restarted and it is working. I swear I had already done that, but who knows - probably just had a brainfart.

Looks good except for the fact the Dow is showing down 34.93 (I know that's correct, but wish it wasn't )

I added a few stocks at it looks great. Excellent job - especially for your first try!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM
SageTVaholic

A few things I'd like to see in future versions:
  • Ability to move a stock symbol up or down on the list
  • Link to basic news by clicking on a stock symbol
  • the <left> button doesn't exit you back to the previous menu - It would be nice if it did
Those are both just nice-to-have things. I'll actually be using this plugin - I love it when that happens...

Last edited by Brent; 06-24-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
A few things I'd like to see in future versions:
  • Ability to move a stock symbol up or down on the list
  • Link to basic news by clicking on a stock symbol
  • the <left> button doesn't exit you back to the previous menu - It would be nice if it did
Those are both just nice-to-have things. I'll actually be using this plugin - I love it when that happens...
1. Will be there in next version. I just wanted to see if there was intrest in the plugin first before I add some more features.
2. I was thinking about that tonight. I will see what I can do. This might be a pain, but I would like to see this as well
3. I was worried about the fact that the table scrolls left and right, and someone might prematurely exit when scrolling back and forth in the table. Do you think that will not be a problem? I find it annoys me as well that I can not do left as back too.

Questions for you:

Would you like to be able to track you profit and loss of a stock in this plugin? or is this to much info for a Sage type product?

Would it be better to have the stock charts on another screen instead of a popup. I was going to mimic the weather maps screen.

Thank you for your feedback. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am glad that you will be able to use the plugin.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
2. I was thinking about that tonight. I will see what I can do. This might be a pain, but I would like to see this as well
If you do this you might consider doing it like the RSS plugin does. That way you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.
Quote:
3. I was worried about the fact that the table scrolls left and right, and someone might prematurely exit when scrolling back and forth in the table. Do you think that will not be a problem? I find it annoys me as well that I can not do left as back too.
hmm Not sure - I'd be interested in others opinions on this as well. It's not a major problem for me, just an annoyance, but I see your point on the scroll left and right thing. Thats one of the problems with SageTV using the left button to go back - should have been something else like escape or something but thats a topic for another day...

Quote:
Would you like to be able to track you profit and loss of a stock in this plugin? or is this to much info for a Sage type product?
I'm not sure I'd use it. And at the moment it would depress me . It might be a neat trick as a feature though. If you ever do it I'd make it a low priority (again these are only my opinions for what their worth).

Quote:
Would it be better to have the stock charts on another screen instead of a popup. I was going to mimic the weather maps screen.
Actually I think the popup works pretty well. Unless you think its too small for the screen, I'd leave it as is personally.

Again, thanks for your work on this plugin - a nice addition to SageMC
Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Does the stock information update at any certain interval or does it require me to hit "refresh"?

For ideas on how other Stock Ticker Plugins Function check out these links:
Beyond Media Stocks
GBPVR Stocks

I didn't see anything on those two plugins that are missing with this one, but thought I'd link to them in case you were looking for any ideas for future changes to it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just installed this and it's great! I will definitely use this too.

Besides the requests already mentioned, here are a few more....

1. Show the % gain or loss
2. A way to rearrange the columns
3. A way to show/hide columns (IE: I don't want the high or low.)
4. Stock symbol entry screen: Textbox should accept a Ctrl-V
5. Stock symbol entry screen: The OK button should be on the left side.

Also, I vote for the back arrow exiting especially if #3 gets implemented (I would have to scroll left/right if I hide enough columns).

Again, thanks for sharing this! It's great.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishallowell View Post
I just installed this and it's great! I will definitely use this too.

Besides the requests already mentioned, here are a few more....

1. Show the % gain or loss
2. A way to rearrange the columns
3. A way to show/hide columns (IE: I don't want the high or low.)
4. Stock symbol entry screen: Textbox should accept a Ctrl-V
5. Stock symbol entry screen: The OK button should be on the left side.

Also, I vote for the back arrow exiting especially if #3 gets implemented (I would have to scroll left/right if I hide enough columns).

Again, thanks for sharing this! It's great.
I am glad that you liked the plugin. I will try to add some or all of your sugestions in. I have not had a chance to work on the plugin for a while because I am getting married in August.

I do not know if I have the ability to effect the copy and paste functionality. Is there anyother screens in SageMC that support copy and paste?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

New version is out... Let me know what you guys think!

10/29/2008 - Version 2.0
  • Added auto refresh with an adjustable time frame between 30 and 1000 secs
  • Updated look and feel of main stock page
  • Added % Change column to the main stock page
  • Added quote date column to the main stock page
  • Added number formatting to all of the number columns
  • Revamped stock info download to happen in background
  • Fixed vertical scroll bar on the main stock page
  • Added left as back to the main stock page
  • Added a detail page that shows all of the stocks values on one page
  • Added news headlines from the yahoo rss feeds
Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

I was just wondering what you guys think of the new version. Looking for some more input for the next version.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Everyone who follow their stocks this closely has probably already jumped out a window...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Everyone who follow their stocks this closely has probably already jumped out a window...
Very true... I know I have thought about it a few times over the past few months myself.

Maybe when the market comes back there will be some more intrest in the plugin.