SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post

I am an Orb user on my old 3G iPhone (no, not the 3GS-grrr!).

I have been streaming LIVE TV for the same amount of time using Orb.
It's been great.

I routinely stream sage recordings to my phone. I also like to watch live TV like cash cab or NFL games (Monday night usually).

The Good
Full screen by turning phone in widescreen direction
Transcodes everything using streamlined FREE install.
iPhone app is $10 (one time charge)
Excellent quality...picture quality is even better on recordings than on LIVE TV
I've also noticed the quality of recorded program stream was quite a bit better than liveTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post
The Bad
Does not see digital tuner cable programming
Does not see HDHR on Windows XP
Sometimes will "fail" to connect, but after one or two more attempts will connect without having to reduce the connection speed.
You better be on an unlimited data plan. Amazing how much information is streamed.

DIGITAL WORK AROUND
Set recording padding to 3 minutes in Orb.
Get latest sage remote web interface to work.
Start recording the digital stream (digital cable or HDHR) through sage.
Wait three minutes.
Connect via Orb and browse to the sage folder that has the recording program file.
Open the file (orb allows you to timeshift)
Enjoy!
I've installed sage remote web interface to do what you are doing, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work. It just won't connect for some reason, but I am still working on it.

Routers: DIR-655 and DIR-825 Bridges: 2xDAP-1522.
Installed: WHS OS, SageTV for WHS, PlayOn and Orb.
SageTV Plugins: PlayOn in OnLine Services.
SageTV clients: HD-200->Samsung LN52A750 and HD-100->Samsung LN40A650
Clients: 5 HP laptops, home built PC, iMac, PS3, PSP, XBox360, 3 iPhones 3gs (through OrbLive).
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wink Almost There?

You may need some free help from dyndns.org to allow you to connect remotely. That is where I registered my connection to my web interface.

This is needed because most high speed providers assign dynamic connections rather than static ones (unless you pay extra). On your home network, it helps if your computer is on a static address or is "dynamically" assigned a reserved ip address (which is pretty much the same thing).

For the help getting the web interface to work, ask more questions over here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37101

Remember, the all Sage interfaces must be shutdown and restarted once the web interface has been setup (or restart the computer which will do that for you).

Last edited by doncote0; 09-24-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
I'd be all over this if only Orb could handle on-the-fly-transcoding of .ts files from the HD-PVR
The latest version of Air Video can do it, but transcoding requires serious CPU horsepower. (My Core 2 Duo E4300 can't keep up)
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslatt View Post
The latest version of Air Video can do it, but transcoding requires serious CPU horsepower. (My Core 2 Duo E4300 can't keep up)
I'll definitely have to give that a shot -- I've been playing around with AirVideo too and earlier versions crapped out my .ts files...
Old 09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Sage Expert

http://www.totalapps.net/mobile-apps/eyetv-app/

So this is how i envision a SageTV app. This is an app from a (MAc) DVR competitor, El Gato + EyeTV

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct1.en.html
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
I'll definitely have to give that a shot -- I've been playing around with AirVideo too and earlier versions crapped out my .ts files...
Well, I can now transcode .ts files via AirVideo but not quickly enough to watch a live stream really (AMD quad core 2.2GHz processor). It takes about 30 minutes to transcode a 20 minute files so I suppose if I wait long enough... ;-)

But it's definitely a step in the right direction (earlier versions couldn't even generate thumbnails of the .ts files )

EDIT: actually it seems okay if I select the lowest quality from the high/medium/low built-in settings. Cool

Last edited by darcilicious; 09-29-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Sage Icon

Just tried Air Video, works pretty well with my iPhone 3G, worth the $3. I can't get TS files to stream either, takes too long to transcode even with my quad core server (Q6600). The work around is probably to have SageTV convert the TS files to MPEG4 first. But overall Air Video is decent alternative to a real iPhone SageTV app. The ability to stream oer 3G is a big plus. And it converted my videos pretty quickly.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Sage User

Does it work with Live TV ? All I hear about it the Live Conversion but can you do it even if the file is still being used/recording ?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Sage User

Just saw that there's StreamToMe that seems to do the same kind of things. Live conversion to iPhone but then again, is this working with file still being used / live TV.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
SageTVaholic

You gotta think SageTV (the company) could pay for a mobile developer to create an official app for iPhone & android and come out ahead as long as it was a paid app.

Could start with the simple things:
  • Remote scheduling
  • Settings
  • Remote controlling
  • EPG
(I know there's a free app for this, but official is always a good thing and would be very easy to do)

And then work towards a placeshifting app of sorts. Placeshifting could at least work with Android and other non-iPhone apps and who, knows it might even make it through the apple nonsense and get approved with placeshifting.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Red face StreamToMe Verdict?

Do you like StreamToMe?