SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Extend Trial

Had a fellow Twitterer telling me he hadn't been able to test out SageTV after he initiated a trial. So I told him, send Sage a PM and see if they'll help you out - they should be able to. But then I see this:

I understand the need for the limited trial, but surely they could work something out - if they want to sell the software anyway. I'm just a bit disappointed in that kind of response, but I'll get over it....
Old 07-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Most interesting...I also noticed that the 21 day trial has just become a 15 day trial.

It's a good thing I snagged it while it was still at the 21 day stage. That extra week is going to be essential in order to get all WAF items checked off.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post
Most interesting...I also noticed that the 21 day trial has just become a 15 day trial.
SageTV has a 21 day trial. If you see 15 days mentioned somewhere, that is left over from the old trial period, because it used to be 15 days.

The trial cannot be reset once started, but the trial period is usually reset when a new version is released.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
SageTV has a 21 day trial. If you see 15 days mentioned somewhere, that is left over from the old trial period, because it used to be 15 days.

The trial cannot be reset once started, but the trial period is usually reset when a new version is released.

- Andy
Andy,
When you say new version is the like 6.3 to 6.4 or do you mean 6.x to 7.x? I'm assuming the latter, but thought I'd ask to be sure.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Andy,
Thanks for the response. Actually, the reference to the 15 day trial came from the Sage page The image down the right side says Download 15 Day Trial Version 6 Now.

Quote:

- Andy
Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I really hope they didn't shorten the trial time to 15 days. In my opinion it takes a good 30 days to really try things out in SageTV... 21 days is pushing it as it is.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
When you say new version is the like 6.3 to 6.4 or do you mean 6.x to 7.x? I'm assuming the latter, but thought I'd ask to be sure.
It can be whatever release SageTV feels deserves to have the trial period start over.

And, it makes no sense to give out info for a user to reset the trial, if there is such a method, because it defeats the whole point of a trial period if it can be reset so easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post
Thanks for the response. Actually, the reference to the 15 day trial came from the Sage page The image down the right side says Download 15 Day Trial Version 6 Now.
I passed that along to SageTV, so maybe the graphic can get changed.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It can be whatever release SageTV feels deserves to have the trial period start over.

And, it makes no sense to give out info for a user to reset the trial, if there is such a method, because it defeats the whole point of a trial period if it can be reset so easily.
You're right I guess (hate it when I have to admit that sort of thing...) . Point taken.

Last edited by Brent; 07-15-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
SageTVaholic

While I'm not disagreeing with Andy here.... Sage is in full control of their product and licencing... they can do whatever they choose to do. If the trial licensing is that inflexible, then perhaps it's someone that is on their whiteboard to enhance. 21 days does seem like a short trial period especially given that Sage is not an out of the box solution. (nor would I expect it to be )

Just be thankful you are not using the Linux Trial version... it expires before the download completes...
Old 07-25-2008, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

- Andy
So is it 21 or is it 15? Front page of SageTV.com says 15

Let me reiterate my argument that 15 is WAY to short. 21 is better and 30 would be ideal. It just takes a lot of time to wade through SageTV and they'll lose some potential customers with that shorter trial imo.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So is it 21 or is it 15? Front page of SageTV.com says 15
I posted above & you quoted the answer:
Quote:
- Andy
Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I posted above & you quoted what I said:

- Andy
Just wanted to be sure because there is lots of talk going on at the GreenButton forums about the atrocious 15 day trial so I went to SageTV.com then clicked on "learn more" and saw a big graphic that said 15 day trial (see link above).

Thanks for the confirmation again
Old 07-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Just wanted to be sure because there is lots of talk going on at the GreenButton forums about the atrocious 15 day trial so I went to SageTV.com then clicked on "learn more" and saw a big graphic that said 15 day trial (see link above).

Thanks for the confirmation again
I just downloaded the 6.3 software and it says 21 day trial when I launch the software. I guess the message could be wrong, but I am assuming that I have 3 weeks to try to get this working.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yup...and you won't need all of it either! I got my SageTV install working, my HDHR set up, a few plugins configured, and 2 additional clients set up and fully functional in under 2 weeks. The main system was up and running in a couple of days. Oh, if you've got an HDHR, go with Sage 6.4.5 Beta, the latest drivers and formware from Silicon Dust and follow the docs in the Beta forum.

Very happy former Vista MC user here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp999 View Post
I just downloaded the 6.3 software and it says 21 day trial when I launch the software. I guess the message could be wrong, but I am assuming that I have 3 weeks to try to get this working.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Sage User

I have been using 6.4.8 under the trial agreement, and would like to see if 6.5.9 fixes some tuner problems I am having. My 6.4.8 trail ends in 2 days. I believe that if I wait until that trial is over, Sage would let me use 6.5.9 for 21more days. (This will give me some time to see if the problem is fixed). But I'm worried if I upgrade BEFROE the prior trial is over, the trial may not reset and I may only get 1 day to try out 6.5.9. I'd like to do the update over the weekend because I'd have more time.

Does anyone know what happens if you install a new version during the trial period of a prior version? Does it reset to 21 days or just allow you to complete the already in-progress trial with the newer version?

TIA
Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp999 View Post
I have been using 6.4.8 under the trial agreement
How long have you been using SageTV? Your first posts were quite some time ago. It isn't clear to me whether you were using it during that time or have just now come back to try it again.

Quote:
My 6.4.8 trail ends in 2 days. I believe that if I wait until that trial is over, Sage would let me use 6.5.9 for 21more days. (This will give me some time to see if the problem is fixed). But I'm worried if I upgrade BEFROE the prior trial is over, the trial may not reset and I may only get 1 day to try out 6.5.9. I'd like to do the update over the weekend because I'd have more time.

Does anyone know what happens if you install a new version during the trial period of a prior version? Does it reset to 21 days or just allow you to complete the already in-progress trial with the newer version?
Well, if the trial period were to be reset, then it is reset & the old trial period has nothing to do with it.

But, v6.5 does not reset the previous trial period, so if you want to try v6.5, you should do so now before the trial time runs out.

- Andy
Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
How long have you been using SageTV? Your first posts were quite some time ago. It isn't clear to me whether you were using it during that time or have just now come back to try it again.

Well, if the trial period were to be reset, then it is reset & the old trial period has nothing to do with it.

But, v6.5 does not reset the previous trial period, so if you want to try v6.5, you should do so now before the trial time runs out.

- Andy
I did try it last summer, but never got it running right. My trial ran out and I gave up / lost interest and stuck with the DirecTivo. You probably noticed a long dryspell between posts single last August.

This is round two and things are going better. I'm just having a problem with the QAM tuner on the HVR-1600 that says "no signal" about 1/2 the time. I have it set as 3rd tuner using merit. I have a feeling that somehow using the HDHR .scn file has caused the HVR-1600 to act flakey. I noticed that the .frq is in a totally different format than doing a native scan with the HVR-1600. I thought maybe if I copied the lineup with 6.5.9 and manually remapped everything it might work better.

I'm somewhat more committed this time, as the DirectV dish setup is flakey and the WAF on it is very low. I just put SAGE on her TV last night after recording her shows for a week and I think she is hooked. I'm between just ordering the license and ordering it with the HD-PVR bundle, but thought maybe I'd get 21 more days to get the HVR working and to decide. Guess not.