SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

HD-PVR optical audio

Does Sage work with the optical audio inputs? In anticipation of the (hopefully) imminent release of the 5.1 capable driver I connected my STB's via optical and set them to output PCM (for now) and changed the Sage setup to "Component + S/Pdif" but I get no audio.

Interestingly, even with Sage setup to use the S/Pdif inputs I will get sound if I reconnect the analog inputs (doesn't matter if the optical is connected or not).

S
Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
Does Sage work with the optical audio inputs? In anticipation of the (hopefully) imminent release of the 5.1 capable driver I connected my STB's via optical and set them to output PCM (for now) and changed the Sage setup to "Component + S/Pdif" but I get no audio.

Interestingly, even with Sage setup to use the S/Pdif inputs I will get sound if I reconnect the analog inputs (doesn't matter if the optical is connected or not).

S
I have the same exact problem. Analog inputs work fine, and optical input works fine within the Arcsoft program, but if I connect optical and try to watch in Sage, I get one quick blip of audio when the channel first loads, then nothing.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Sage Icon

Same here, in fact the blip in sound occurs every 10 or 15 seconds and causes studdering when it happens. Setting up the HD-PVR to use the analog sound gives me sound and studder free video.

Honestly I haven't worried about it since they are suppose to come out with the updated driver soon anyway.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Sage Icon

6.4.7 solved the issue for me. I now get audio from the optical inputs. It did introduce a small studder in the video if watching live. If I stay just a few seconds behind there is no studder.

S
Old 08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Sage User

I do not get audio when I select "Component + SPDIF". I do get audio when I select just "Component". This result was a little counter-intuitive since I only have the TOS connection for audio between my cable box and the HD PVR but it works.

The same choices are available in the Arcsoft software and I get the same result.

I'm not sure what's really going on but I assume it's related to issues with handling 5.1 audio through the HD PVR. BTW, while watching the Olympics last night (this is a very recent setup for me) I noticed that the background sound was very loud and the announcements were quiet. I wonder if there is a poor quality 5.1 > stereo conversion going on somewhere.

Sorry, I just got the HD PVR setup over the past few days so I haven't had much time to tinker with it yet.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

The Hauppage drivers do not handle Dolby at all yet, 5.1 or stereo. To use the optical inputs your STB needs to output PCM audio.

Configure the STB to output PCM, connect the optical cable, disconnect the analog cable, config Sage to "Componenet + SPDIF and reboot.

S
Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I keep on hearing "any day now" for AC3 pass-thru capable HD-PVR drivers. Anyone in the know have an idea when that might be? I'm practically waiting on pins and needles for them to be released.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Some channels have no audio

If I use the HD-PVR and go to TNTHD (Time Warner Cable), I don't get any audio. If I go to HDNET, I do get sound. This is with component audio. I looked at the details of the recording (live) and it shows a video and audio type for HDNET (H.264 1080i, AAC 48kpbs Stereo). When I go to TNTHD, I see just (H.264 1080i). I don't see if identifying audio at all.

When I switch channels (via hitting the up channel button), I hear sound just just a second from TNTHD before it switches channels. I guess the problem is that either SageTV or HD-PVR cannot seem to identify what format the sound source is in.

One other thing I do get on TNT is a stutter every couple of seconds. I heard that you can get it if it is recording 720p, but this is a 1080i transmission. I don't get that with HDNET.

I also don't get audio over my SPDIF connection. Of course I read in a post just above that I need to disconnect my component audio cables, leave the SPDIF connected, and then reboot (the computer, or the HD-PVR?, or both?). I guess that the HD-PVR will figure out that the component isn't connected and then decode the audio in PCM?