SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation R5000 problem after software update: 2 digit channels instead of 3

I recently upgraded sageTV, HDhomerun, and my R5000 DVR software. After doing that, I'm having a very specific problem with R5000 recording. I dont have any other issues with any of my other capture devices.

Symptoms:

1) Channel changes with R5000s occur correctly as long as there’s no active mpeg2 stream present from the STB to my PC.

2) If there’s a video stream present, when a 3 digit channel is selected from the SageTV guide,the STB’s LED’s show the first two channel #’s, and then pauses longer than normal and instead of seeing a 3rd digit.

For example changing to channel 720 (on the front panel of my STB's... it shows 7, pause, 2, long pause, then just goes back to the channel it was on. It looks like there's only 2 digit channel support instead of 3.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 09-05-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I recently upgraded sageTV, HDhomerun, and my R5000 DVR software. After doing that, I'm having a very specific problem with R5000 recording. I dont have any other issues with any of my other capture devices.

Symptoms:

1) Channel changes with R5000s occur correctly as long as there’s no active mpeg2 stream present from the STB to my PC.

2) If there’s a video stream present, when a 3 digit channel is selected from the SageTV guide,the STB’s LED’s show the first two channel #’s, and then pauses longer than normal and instead of seeing a 3rd digit.

For example changing to channel 720 (on the front panel of my STB's... it shows 7, pause, 2, long pause, then just goes back to the channel it was on. It looks like there's only 2 digit channel support instead of 3.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Did you ever find anything on this?

I have not nailed it down as precisely as you. All I've identified so far is that the most of the recent R5000 recordings have been of the wrong channel. Of course, I will be out of town for10 days and the WAF will tank if the problems persist.

I can't tell what is going on since the box the Dish 211 box does not have a front panel display.

I did find in the sage log that it seems to be sending 3.1 channels ... which if I replicate fir non broadcast channels ends up back on the previous channel...

Anyone have suggestions?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
I can't tell what is going on since the box the Dish 211 box does not have a front panel display.
I have my R5000-HD outputting to a TV by composite cables, in addition to the usb to the computer. This is so I can get the on screen overlays (like Channel info) for set up and troubleshooting.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

I would take jerry's good suggestion and hook up your Dish 211 box's video out to a monitor/tv temporarily to see what's really happening. Once you can prove consistency of what's not working correctly, you can contact R5000 support for further troubleshooting.

I know that the R5000 people will be releasing a beta version relatively soon which fixes certain issues (including my specific problem).

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Did you ever find anything on this?

I have not nailed it down as precisely as you. All I've identified so far is that the most of the recent R5000 recordings have been of the wrong channel. Of course, I will be out of town for10 days and the WAF will tank if the problems persist.

I did find in the sage log that it seems to be sending 3.1 channels ... which if I replicate fir non broadcast channels ends up back on the previous channel...

Anyone have suggestions?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

I think I have this same thing happening, did you all ever sort it out?

In other words, SOMETIMES, when sage tries to tune 9449 on my dish 211, the 211 only receives 944, which isn't a channel, so an error screen is generated on the 211 and sage can no longer control it. I have not yet heard back from nextcom, and then ran across this old thread.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I used to have a similar problem except mine was with 3 digit channels (49 instead of 749). It there's something in the OS/drivers/software thats interfering with the PC sending IR commands via USB to your R5000. In my case, it was because there was a R5000 driver issue under Vista; especially when watching live TV locally on the same PC as the R5000. My issue was resolved by upgrading to an official Vista 32 driver (Version 3.1d); which is rock solid and relatively quick now. If you're already using the latest certified R5000 driver (at least version 3.1d), I would start looking more closely at your PC configuration (ie, what type of USB chipset the R5000 is connected to ...maybe try a different USB hub). Also, what other hardware do you have installed on the PC that might be interfering with the R5000 driver. What else is going on (on the PC) when your channel change skips a digit ...maybe there's another process (application/driver stealing CPU cycles).

You can try to get around this issue by inserting user-defined pauses either before or in between your channel numbers under options/preferences/tweaks. However, I think trying to eliminate what's interfering with the R5000 DVR apps sending timely IR commands is a much better choice.

You can also post on AVS Forum's R5000 thread. There may be someone there that might have an answer for you.

Good luck,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
I think I have this same thing happening, did you all ever sort it out?

In other words, SOMETIMES, when sage tries to tune 9449 on my dish 211, the 211 only receives 944, which isn't a channel, so an error screen is generated on the 211 and sage can no longer control it. I have not yet heard back from nextcom, and then ran across this old thread.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Well, I finally managed to capture this problem somewhere in a sage debug log, but no idea what I'm looking at. Submitted it to nextcom, but to be honest, they haven't given me a lot of hope.

This is a dedicated WHS box, that does nothing but backup other PCs in the middle of the night and run sage. All the installed hardware is in my sig. Where can I look for what else is occurring at the time of these errors? Event log doesn't seem to have anything of interest at the time of the errors.

For now, I have removed one of the r5000s, so we'll see if just running one has any effect. My experience has been that every time I tweak something, it will work for a week or so, then it all starts up again seemingly with no rhyme or reason.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
SageTVaholic

If youre certain that sageTV is currently running at it's default settings, there isnt anything you need to change in sageTV. The same goes for your OS; except for Vista, I would just make sure Superfetch is disabled for best disk recording performance. I'm presuming you're already using the R5000 driver 3.1d. I know you probably dont want to hear this, but there's a chance the problem is related to the USB bus or chipset on your PC (or another USB device on the PC). If you want a sure bet, hooking up the R5000 to any 3 year old Intel chipset based PC with a vanilla configuration would work just fine and save you a lot of time in identifying what component on your current PC is interfering with the R5000 from working correctly; although, I know that the R5000 does work fine on most brand new Intel based PCs; even 64 bit OSs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
Well, I finally managed to capture this problem somewhere in a sage debug log, but no idea what I'm looking at. Submitted it to nextcom, but to be honest, they haven't given me a lot of hope.

This is a dedicated WHS box, that does nothing but backup other PCs in the middle of the night and run sage. All the installed hardware is in my sig. Where can I look for what else is occurring at the time of these errors? Event log doesn't seem to have anything of interest at the time of the errors.

For now, I have removed one of the r5000s, so we'll see if just running one has any effect. My experience has been that every time I tweak something, it will work for a week or so, then it all starts up again seemingly with no rhyme or reason.

***RIP SageTV***