SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

place shifter on acer aspire one - works!

I've installed place shifter trial on my acer aspire one mini netbook and it works!! Ok so its about 22fps, but I've not played with any of the settings yet, still its good enough for a bit of tv or movie watching at work during lunch, I'll be buying it.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Linux or windows? Which model? Using what type of connection? What server?

Can you give more info please, probably more than me interested I suspect.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Sage User

Aspire One

I can second that, My XP aspire one, will run placeshifter at full frame rate over my LAN

I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5gig

EDIT: You will need the new WiFi driver from Windows Update (v 7.6.0.260), or the WiFi runs very slow when not on AC Power

Last edited by KipKasper; 11-22-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Hold on. I don't think enough information is being given on this....

Yes Placeshifter works on an Aspire One. It also works just fine on my Asus EeePC 1000HA. Connected to my local LAN wirelessly works somewhat (G networrk as the HA doesn't have N). I get drop outs but that is standard for any wireless G connection. However, connected via ethernet I am able to play back SD MPEG2 flawlessly. HD MPEG2 is fairly jerky. This is because of the rather poor graphics chips that Intel has paired with the Atom Processor. The only playback I do on mine is SD because of the limited abilities to playback video.

Now using placeshifter outside of your LAN (over the internet) theoretically would work better. Why? Because of the limited bandwidth, your server should be transcoding the image to a lesser resolution. This lower resolution should be more managable by the Netbook.

One further note, H.264 playback is not possible. There is no excellation in the GMA950 for h.264. With the most recent Beta, sage supposedly has enabled HD-PVR playback via placeshifter (haven't tried it and early adopters seem to think it isn't working right yet) but I don't. think the Netbooks will still be able to handle it unless Sage has figured out a way to transcode h.264 on the fly to Mpeg2.

I just thought it would be best to set expectations. Don't start replacing clients with netbooks.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-18-2008, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I think this would make a great "thin client" for a kitchen: Asus Eee Top (with a touchscreen). I currently have a touchscreen monitor as my daughter has a disability and has trouble using a mouse - this PC costs less than what you often pay for just a touchscreen monitor. Byt HD would be tricky for the reasons already mentioned.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 AM
Sage User

Has anyone tried the Eee Top ET1603 with inside the ATI HD3450 ? It would be great if HD plays smoothly on it.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm having similar ideas about buying an eeeTop for the kitchen.

I have an eeePC 701 that runs places shifter very nicely when loaded with Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04. I also having running with XP Pro. I can't remember if I got it working with Xandros or not though. I have installed a touch screen interface and with the TouchScrren plugin elsewher on this forum, I'm happy enough to go and buy the eeeTop, which has a faster processor and better graphics driver.

I will add that I would probably run the client on it rather than PS as then I can play the DVDs that are 'backed up' onto my SageTV server as well.

Last edited by motobarsteward; 01-20-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Once somebody gets one of these please post your results. They appear to have been released in the UK a few months ago but are just now coming to North America and seem to be going for around $600. Not cheap but 15" touch screen monitors tend to cost over $400 alone.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I think this would make a great "thin client" for a kitchen: Asus Eee Top (with a touchscreen). I currently have a touchscreen monitor as my daughter has a disability and has trouble using a mouse - this PC costs less than what you often pay for just a touchscreen monitor. Byt HD would be tricky for the reasons already mentioned.

Just curious what touchscreen monitor you have, as I'm looking for one for a kitchen PC.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I have a Gvision 15" monitor. I bought it about 2-3 years ago and it cost around $450-$500 which is only a little less than what you pay for the entire eee Top. The weird thing about this Gvision monitor is that it uses a serial port connection to the PC - not USB. That is required for the touchscreen interface.

For some reason touch screen displays are still ridiculously expensive - the "touch" factor seems to add about $300 or more to the price. My hope is that they become much more popular given the HP touchscreens and now this one from Asus.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I did read about people adding USB touch screen overlays to netbooks (9-10" displays). The parts were available on ebay. They did require disassembly of the notebook though.

Amazon shows a USB interface, 15" Synaps S15TSM/T5AV LCD monitor for $400us.

Last edited by Menehune; 03-03-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune View Post
I did read about people adding USB touch screen overlays to netbooks (9-10" displays). The parts were available on ebay. They did require disassembly of the notebook though.
Here's a YouTube posting by a guy who added one to his Asus 901: http://tinyurl.com/a5ubpf
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobarsteward View Post
I will add that I would probably run the client on it rather than PS as then I can play the DVDs that are 'backed up' onto my SageTV server as well.
If you backed them up as .ISO files, you don't need Sage to view them.

I'm using a freebie called "VLC Media Player" on my itty-bitty Atom-powered laptop and it works quite well.

Quicker/easier access to the movies (just set .ISO to open w/VLC and double click the directory entry).

More keyboard friendly too. I'm reluctant to mess with Sage's keyboard settings for fear of compromising remote control use.
Using VLC's customizable keyboard shortcuts gets around that.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna