SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

on XP I was getting the no signal error, so I went into the server room to review the connections. I had disconnected the RCA audio already. Sage was sitting there displaying no signal. I disconnected the optical audio cable to see if my STB was using it. The end of the cable was glowing red, so I plugged it back into the HD PVR. At this point I think I realized that the cable had been previously plugged into the "Out" port on the HD PVR.

The second I plugged the optical audio cable into the "IN" port, the blue ring surrounding the device lit up and it started working. I think that you have to have both an audio signal and a video signal for the device to turn on when requested. Having disconnected the RCA audio I think it had gone to sleep or something.

I tried a number of channels via my vista client and it does appear to be recording 5.1 audio. Well, depending on the source, of course. I could not test the drop frame problem with 720, 480p on the HD100 because the wife was asleep in that room at the time.

Oh, and no perceivable audio popping for me, at least so far. Fingers crossed. This may be due to the mmc/encoders/-YourHDPVRTunerIdNumber/delay_to_wait_after_tuning=5000 property that I have set. The pop, if any, may happen before sage starts capturing from the feed.

Last edited by Humanzee; 09-30-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Sage Expert

HAHAHA... heed Qusix's words....

Make sure you plug the Optical Cable from your STB to the Optical IN port instead of OUT port. I know mine is wrong, but haven't had a chance to test it.

-Brian
Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Sage Expert

Beefcake,
Please let me know if you get things working. Your experience may help me since I'm also running from a WHS server.

I'll have to try running the server from a different machine, as well as my PC client and see if I can get a combo working smoothly.

One good thing I will note is that with the new drivers, when occasionally I am getting CNN HD to come in properly with 5.1 (not sure how... sometimes when I change the channel there it works, most of the time it doesn't), the HD100 finally passes the "micro-stutter" test pretty well. I do perceive the occasional small glitch in the scrolling text, but I'm pretty sure it's reduced from before, and perhaps acceptable now.

The sync seemed perfect with the 5.1 audio. I only watched maybe one minute before starting to change channels again to try and figure out why my sound wasn't working for the most part (and many video problems as well).

EDIT: Yea, the first time when I got no signal was probably when I had the optical coming in the out port. I didn't even remember there was an optical passthrough until I used the wrong port!

Last edited by Chriscic; 09-30-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
I got this on my first attempt as well. Also using WHS.

Per my prior post, things still are far from working properly, but I am getting a signal now and at least some sort of sound on some channels. I rebooted everything a couple of times, turned the HD-PVR off and on, etc. to at least get to this point.

I didn't run hwclear though nor am I familiar with it. I didn't see it in the driver download. Do I need to run it?

I did notice when installing the new drivers in one case it said (paraphrasing) "you are about to replace a newer version of a the file XXX with an older one." I accepted that as ok, maybe I shouldn't have? Did anyone else notice that?
I first tried to update the existing drivers and that message about replacing a newer version kept popping up over and over and over. It had a lot of replacing to do or was stuck in a loop so I finally clicked 'No' . I ended up with a lot of problems so I ran HWClear to completely remove all Hauppauge drivers. After rebooting, I pointed the New Hardware Found Wizard to the newly downloaded drivers and all went well.

I am recording in DD 2.0 or 5.1 depending on the source but I got a "No Signal" error later that night. Luckily I noticed it and power cycled the offending unit or my woman would have killed me. It would have screwed up the last airing of Masterpiece Mystery.

S
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

I installed the new drivers and they're not working for me. The drivers appeared to install fine and I'm getting sound out of both SageTV and TME after changing the input configuration in both programs but the audio output is very choppy and broken up and is very irritating to listen to. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, please let me know. Thanks.

Jerry
Old 09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have a WHS machine that i will upgrade tonight. i needed to pickup some optical cables. I will let you know how it goes later tonight.
Gaming Rig:Q6600 Quad O/C to 2.8ghz, 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Geforce 8600GTS
Misc: Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver, Netgear Pro Safe 16port Gig Switch, Cat6 cabling, Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware
Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
Thanks, I got them. Just had to be persistant.

Do these drivers fix anything other than 5.1 audio? Such as the known issue w/ 720p recording or the "No Signal" errors in Sage when the device stops responding? Fixing the "No Signal" error is 10 times more important to me than DD 5.1.

S
I am still having lockups "No Signal" with the new driver... If any one knows how to get past the "No Signal" thing then please post... PLEASE!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:56 PM
SageTVaholic

For WHS:
Install the driver. I upgraded over the existing but SageTV was off.
Install the optical cable into the optical IN port on the HDPVR (Not optical OUT!)
Install the optical cable into the cable box/DirectTV/Dish optical out port.
Reboot
Power off and on the HD-PVR while the server boots.
Shut down SageTV-again
Bring up TME-change from RCA (back or front) to SPDIF
You should get a picture and sound IF you have cables installed correctly and the correct sound port chosen. Capture a program for a bit and play it in your Media Player to make sure you have video and sound.
Exit TME
Startup SageTV (or just reboot the server.)

If you are testing from a HD100 make sure you power off the HD100 completely. I just started up my HD100 at first and no sound. I had to power it off completely and turn it on before I got sound.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
I did notice when installing the new drivers in one case it said (paraphrasing) "you are about to replace a newer version of a the file XXX with an older one." I accepted that as ok, maybe I shouldn't have? Did anyone else notice that?
I noticed this, too. Mine was for (something).ax. I too accepted that as OK. I had to powercycle the HD PVR and change the source to component + spdif and all is well. I haven't noticed any popping sounds (will listen for it tonight if I have a chance), A-V seem to be in sync, I have 5.1 when the source delivers it, and the volume is close to all my other capture devices!

For me it is a huge improvement. The biggest downside is the lack of good content to record!

Wayne
Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone have this new driver working in Vista x64?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 PM

there is a bug with it on 64bit, an update being work on.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBalboa View Post
I am still having lockups "No Signal" with the new driver... If any one knows how to get past the "No Signal" thing then please post... PLEASE!!!
Also you may want to remove the RCA cables from the HD-PVR just in case.

Last edited by Chriscic; 09-30-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Has anyone who used to have problems using multiple HD PVRs found that that this new driver fixes that problem?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Mine's been working since last night with no problems whatsoever. Honestly, I did not do anything special at all on my server...as a matter of fact, I probably did the upgrade in the worst possible way. Please keep in mind that I've been using optical only all along as my STB was capable of outputting PCM. I never had RCA cables hooked up.:

Sat down at the machine and just ran the .exe. Didn't shut down Sage, didn't uninstall the old driver, didn't run hwclear. Just ran the .exe.
Told it to replace the newer file with the older one.
Rebooted.
When it came back up, all 3 lights were stuck "on" on the HDPVR and the power button didn't even shut it down. Total panic!
Unplugged the HDPVR
Shutdown the Sage service
Plugged in the HDPVR
Started th Sage service
Went into my STB's audio config and changed the output from PCM to DD
Went down to my client PC, fired up Monday Night Football, and got true DD 5.1 surround from my HDPVR on ESPN HD! FINALLY!

I'm running Sage itself on an XP box as a server only, no playback. I have my clients hanging off of it for playback. On one of my clients, however, I did have to change from the MS Audio Decoder to AC3 filter for some reason, but other than that, things are great!
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 09-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just thought I'd add to this post with my results.

I just got high-def today through Charter, using a motorola STB (don't remember the model number).

I'm using one of the original HD-PVR's (ordered it the day they came out).

At first, I was using the drivers provided on their website (non-beta). It seemed to work OK but I was getting this weird stutter, where every few seconds, parts of the screen would pixelize and the video would stutter.

I then removed the HD-PVR source in Sage, stopped the sage service, and installed these beta drivers. Rebooted the sage box, started Sage back up, and added this as a source by selecting "Component + SPDIF".

Everything seems to be working 100% now. No more stutter, 5.1 sound through to the HD-100's.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

i upgraded my WHS box today. I had some strange behavior at first, when watching live tv, there was no audio. But if i went and played the recording the audio was there. Now i am watching live tv on the HD100. so far so good. I havent had enough time to tell if there is any studdering or audio sync issues.

also, i am running 3 hd pvrs. the exe with the drivers only updated two tuners. i had to turn those two off and run the program again to update the 3rd one.
Gaming Rig:Q6600 Quad O/C to 2.8ghz, 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Geforce 8600GTS
Misc: Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver, Netgear Pro Safe 16port Gig Switch, Cat6 cabling, Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware
Old 09-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Sage Expert

Woohoo!

Chriscic - I got it to work....

I did have the optical cable plugged in the wrong port (out instead of IN). I left the RCA audio cables and optical cables BOTH plugged in. No problems...

Here are my steps that worked:
1) Shutdown SageTV Server
2) power off HD-PVR
3) run hwclr program & reboot
4) turn off sagetv server again
5) power on HD-PVR
6) install new drivers and reboot
7) start up sageTV client
8) make sure you turn on dolby digital output from STB
9) change input setting in SageTV client to "component + SPDIF"
10) cross fingers and tune channels!!!

I know it's a bit lengthy, but I wanted to spell it out just as I would want someone else to do for me
Old 09-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Sage Expert

Thx Beefcake. I appreciate you spelling it out. I'll start from the beginning again with that exact sequence. May not get to it tonight as I'm working late, but geez do I want this thing to work. Cheers,
-Chris
Old 09-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Sage Icon

Smile Wow this must be my lucky day

1) Downloaded update.

2) Installed it.

3) Worked like a charm first try.

Time to order a second HD-PVR and my 3rd HD100.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Sage Icon

Installing NOW. 1st install. Just courious (off topic), anyone using the Firewire to change channel? Or is the IR more responsive now?