SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:00 AM
SageTVaholic

SageMC UI Sound Effects

I'm working on a few sound effect packs including a Tivo Sound Effect Pack for SageMC users and need some input from those in the know. Here are a few facts I do know:

• SageMC allows for a few UI sound effects (sounds you hear as you navigate the menu). The default STV doesn't allow for this, but SageMC does.
  • To enable or disable sound effects in SageMC: Settings>SageMC>Main>Global UI Options>Behavior>Play Sounds (toggle on and off)
  • The sound effects do not work on extenders - if you enable them on an extender, you'll actually get the sound effects on the server PC instead. (If there is any possible way to make UI sound effects work on extenders let me know)
  • To switch out the UI Effects you need to rename these files in \SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3\SageMCE\Sounds
focus.wav - sound for any cursor movement on a menu: up down left right
cursor.wav
click.wav - sound for when you select a menu item
click2.wav - NOT SURE WHEN THIS ONE SOUNDS
click3.wav - sound for when you exit a menu (go back)

So my questions are these:
  1. Is it really impossible to get the UI sounds on extenders? I know it probably is given the current implementation of UI sounds in SageMC, but I'm wondering if there is another way?
  2. When does the click2.wav sound?
  3. Is there any way to add additional UI sound other then those above?
I'll upload the sound packs for anyone interested once I get them organized better.

Last edited by Brent; 10-19-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'd be (beyond) ecstatic if someone could figure out how to get navigation sounds into the extenders. Looks like it's a core mod though:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31110

I submitted the feature request a while back...I suggest others do the same if they want the feature. I really miss that audio feedback (it was more responsive than the video feedback).
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total

Last edited by Addict; 10-19-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

I think it's a nice-to-have type of feature as there are a good number of users who would never use it and are in fact annoyed with UI sound effects. Still, I think it would be an easy way to add that extra oomph to the User Interface experience that helps with reviews and first impressions at least. And there would be many who would use the UI sounds in SageTV.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 AM
SageTVaholic

The only way I can think to get sounds to play on an extender (or placeshifter) would be to call Watch(), but that has the big problem of interrupting any other media playback going on.

I don't thing it's possible in the current architecture, there's no API/method to play multiple things simultaneously on the extenders.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Question

I can't get it to work locally. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have always had sound effects enabled in sageMC options and never heard the sounds. I just presumed it was a feature that's was never fully implemented. Is there a reason why I dont hear the sounds even when this option is enabled and I have verified the wav files are in:

C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3\sagemce\Sounds

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I can't get it to work locally. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have always had sound effects enabled in sageMC options and never heard the sounds. I just presumed it was a feature that's was never fully implemented. Is there a reason why I dont hear the sounds even when this option is enabled and I have verified the wav files are in:

Are the wav files named as I mentioned in the original post? The default files are very quiet so you might try turning up the volume really load to test.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes, they are the same files that are distributed with SageMC. Im sure they aren't working; as I've had this option enabled for a couple of years; and, I'm sure I would have heard something by now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Are the wav files named as I mentioned in the original post? The default files are very quiet so you might try turning up the volume really load to test.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, they are the same files that are distributed with SageMC. Im sure they aren't working; as I've had this option enabled for a couple of years; and, I'm sure I would have heard something by now
just to be sure. Your using a PC here not an extender right?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Right. I dont own an extender.

Quote:
just to be sure. Your using a PC here not an extender right?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

If you play those wav files in a audio player like winamp do they work (hear the sounds) then?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

yes.

Quote:
If you play those wav files in a audio player like winamp do they work (hear the sounds) then?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just a guess, but they might not play if you're using ac3filter for audio to an external decoder.

Mick.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Sage User

Tickle the thread - something interesting

Guys,

Here's something interesting.

I run SageMC with 4 MVPs and 1 Placeshifter. UI sounds are enabled.

If I use the Placeshifter client, the UI sounds are played THROUGH ONE OF MY EXTENDERS (usually the one that first connected to the server) in the next room, but not on the Placeshifter PC. This behavior is 100% of the time.

I'm open to some discussion and discovery steps to find out how this is happening if anyone is interested.

--brian
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM
SageTVaholic

You sure it's not playing on the server?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

There is a file in one of the folders I think it was in the Jar folder that prevents sounds from working, once the file is deleted and sage restarted the sounds work. I will have to dig up which file it was. I know it sounds strange but that is what I had to do to get sounds working long time ago - with optical out to my speakers it did not work very well so I disabled it.

Found it http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...postcount=4951

Quote:

Client 1: HD300; Panasonic TC-P65S64;
Client 2: HD300; Samsung 46" LCD;
Client 3: HD300; 60" LCD;

Last edited by farfromuman; 11-12-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You sure it's not playing on the server?
I am such a loser.

The sound is indeed coming from the server.. onboard speaker, oriented right below the set. I thought the MVP was active.. it wasn't.

*sigh*.

Sorry for the false alarm. Welcome to my Dufus Jamboree.

--b
Old 11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Don't feel bad. You're not the first to think you heard the UI sounds on the extender when it was on the server and probably won't be the last
Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Sage Expert

I just saw lifehacker recently featured a new free sound bits website that has 1000s of sound effects one could potentially use here. Feel free to pull some sounds from there if you're interested in customizing your own sound effects.

http://www.soundsnap.com/
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 11-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Sage Icon

Here's some tivo sounds I'm using currently...
Attached Files
File Type: zip tivo.zip (33.3 KB, 172 views)