SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

HD 200 Audio Quality vs MVP Audio Quality

I have two MVP media extenders. I compared the audio quality of a media extender of a ripped DVD verses playing the same DVD on a DVD player. The audio quality of the DVD player was vastly superior to the MVP.

Has anyone compared the HD 2000 audio quality of a ripped DVD, compared to playing the same DVD on a DVD player to determine if the audio quality of the HD 200 is similar to a DVD player?

Dave
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
SageTVaholic

How do you have them hooked up?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Sage Icon

Both the MVP audio output and DVD audio output are hooked up to the stereo amplifier line level inputs. I switch between the inputs while SageTV plays the ripped DVD and the DVD player plays the DVD directly.

The DVD VOB files were converted to MPEG2 format with VideoReDo.

The audio quality of the MVP is much worse than the DVD player.

I would like to know if I replace the MVP with a HD 200, if the audio quality would be similar to the DVD player. In other words, is the HD 200 audio quality drastically better than a MVP?

Dave
Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry, no idea, I use S/PDIF on my HD200s and let my SSP do the decoding so all the audio is perfect.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Sage Expert

I believe it is related to the ripping of the audio. Usually the sound of the AC3 audio after ripping is much lower in volume that the original DVD playing in a DVD player. I have searched for years on how to increase the volume, but have never found any answer. When playing on a PC using AC3filter codec, you can have it boost the volume some what, but through the extenders I have found I have to increase the volume on the reciever to compensate...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I would like to know if I replace the MVP with a HD 200, if the audio quality would be similar to the DVD player. In other words, is the HD 200 audio quality drastically better than a MVP?
It may be..... it should be.... just by virtue of it being a newer, more advanced device. But I sold my MVP ages ago. The reason was because the video quality is drastically better on the HD100/HD200, even with SD material on an analog TV.

IMO, you should upgrade anyway if you have the money.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
It may be..... it should be.... just by virtue of it being a newer, more advanced device. But I sold my MVP ages ago. The reason was because the video quality is drastically better on the HD100/HD200, even with SD material on an analog TV.

IMO, you should upgrade anyway if you have the money.
Ages ago?? the HD-100 was released 12/10/07
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzominator View Post
Ages ago?? the HD-100 was released 12/10/07
I sold my MVP before the HD100 was released. Perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. I did use the regular Sage Client between the MVP and HD100.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphipps View Post
I believe it is related to the ripping of the audio. Usually the sound of the AC3 audio after ripping is much lower in volume that the original DVD playing in a DVD player.
It has nothing to do with the ripping. AC3 is a bitstream, any modification to which will destroy the audio (literally, make it unusable). The issues I've seen here with low audio all seem to be with people using stereo analog output, thus the low audio issues are related to the downmixing of 5.1 AC3 into Stereo.

Quote:
I have searched for years on how to increase the volume, but have never found any answer. When playing on a PC using AC3filter codec, you can have it boost the volume some what, but through the extenders I have found I have to increase the volume on the reciever to compensate...
With AC3filter just uncheck the "normalize matrix" option in the setup.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Sage Icon

Maybe I should be more specific how I am ripping the DVDs. I copy all the files from the DVD to the computer. I then open up each VOB file with VideoReDo to determine which files I need to select, that composes the main program content of the DVD (less commercials, titles, etc). I then use VideoReDo "Quickfix" on each VOB file segment, converting the output to MPEG2 files. I then use VideoReDo to join the MPEG2 files together as one large MPEG2 file.

I then playback the MPEG2 file with the MVP, which is has line level out from the MVP connected to the line level input on the audio amplifier.

Meanwhile, I have the DVD player line level out hook up to another input on the audio amplifier.

I can then playback both the MPEG2 file with SageTV and the DVD player running at the same time. With a bit of tweaking, I can get both to close to the same place during playback, at the same time.

I then switch between the two audio amplifier inputs to compare the audio quality. The audio quality is better from the DVD player than from the MVP.

If the HD 200 has much better audio than the MVP, then maybe the audio quality from the HD 200 would be close to the audio quality of the DVD player. Has anyone done this type of A/B testing to make sure that audio quality isn't being lost when using SageTV, compared to using a DVD player?

Dave
Old 12-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Sage

The analog audio outputs on the HD200 should be better than what's on the MVP. I haven't done an A/B comparison; but I'd be surprised if they weren't on par with the DVD player you have (when I used to run it over analog I thought it sounded as good as my $1200 Sony DVD player....but I always thought the MVP was lacking in that area)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

What is your quality setting for conversion to the MVP? I ask because the MVP cannot play AC3 audio directly. It can do a pass-through to a receiver for digital audio but cannot decode it. The server must transcode the AC3 audio for playback on the MVP. The normal quality setting is going to be fairly poor compared to your DVD player. Try the high setting but then any other video is going to need more horsepower from the server to transcode.