SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is it possible/How to record specific team sports events?

Is there a way to craft a "Favorite" so as to capture all games for a specific team? For example I'd like to be able to setup a favorite to capture all UConn Men's Basketball games, one to capture all UConn Women's Basketball games and one to capture all UConn Football games (although there won't be any more of those until next autumn. ).

Is there any way to create such favorites?

Thank you,
pat----
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Check in the manual or in the forum for keyword favorites. Also look at SRE for sports that go over the time listed in the guide. It will make sure you get it all recorded.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

"keyword favorites"? Okay, thanks. I'll read up on that. I tried to do it last night w/o any success, but that, admittedly, was with limited documentation reading. <blush> but in fairness to me ... a friend who's run Sage for years told me he didn't think it was possible.

pat----
Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I had the same issue with figuring out how to record all Toronto Maple Leafs hockey games. I have set up a favorite with the keyword(s) "NHL hockey toronto" and this seems to work. Same for Raptors basketball games - "NBA basketball toronto". Take a look at how the listings seem to work and try something similar like "college basketball connecticut" and see if that seems to work.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Keyword favorites works great for specific teams or even recording all movies/shows with a particular actor/actress starring.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

It works great for me for recording the Denver Broncos games. Since all of the NFL games show up in the listing as "NFL Football", I just set up a favorite with "NFL Football" as the title and "Broncos" as the keyword (off course without the quotes). That has found and recorded all of the Broncos games since I setup the favorite a couple of months ago.

I would also take Gerry's suggestion and look into Sage Recording Extender (SRE). That is an unbelievably useful app.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
I would also take Gerry's suggestion and look into Sage Recording Extender (SRE). That is an unbelievably useful app.
Ditto for SRE - it means you won't miss the overtime or last two minutes of games.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
It works great for me for recording the Denver Broncos games. Since all of the NFL games show up in the listing as "NFL Football", I just set up a favorite with "NFL Football" as the title and "Broncos" as the keyword (off course without the quotes). That has found and recorded all of the Broncos games since I setup the favorite a couple of months ago.
okay ... I can see how to create a favorite based on "title" (College Basketball in my case). And I can see how to create a favorite based on "keywords". But, I can't see how to create one on the Title and then add a keyword to it? Or, is that a feature of ...

Quote:
While this will get me the men's games, it doesn't look like it'll help me with the women's games.

Thanks,
pat----
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psklenar View Post
While this will get me the men's games, it doesn't look like it'll help me with the women's games.
You're probably right. Slugger, who wrote this addin, has to do a fair bit of manual work to make sure that changes to the web pages that he uses, such as ESPN, don't change and break SRE. Adding another sport, especially college sports due to the volume of games, would be a lot of work - at least that is how it appears to me.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think we may be confusing two different subjects. You can set up a favorite without using SRE. SRE just adds the ability for SageTV to automatically extend the recording time of supported sporting events if they go longer than the allotted time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psklenar View Post
But, I can't see how to create one on the Title and then add a keyword to it?
Search the Guide for the keyword "basketball." I get many listings for both "College Basketball" and "Women's College Basketball" (where I am assuming "College Basketball" is men's and ""Women's College Basketball" is women's, but since I am not a basketball fan I have not checked). Then click on one of them and go to the Program Info. There you can set up a favorite by clicking on "Record Series." Once clicking "Record Series," it will show the favorite added to the end of your favorites listing. Edit the series (favorite) by clicking on it, and go down to "Keyword" and click the "Edit" button beside the blank and enter the keyword for the team you are wanting to record (in my example above it was "Broncos"). After that, click "Save" so that your changes are saved. That should set up a favorite with the proper title and keyword. Repeat the process for any other sports favorites you want to set up.

What SRE would then do, if all of the favorites are supported sports in SRE, is automatically extend the recording time if the game goes long or goes into overtime. However, it looks like only NCAA basketball (Div I men's only) is supported by SRE. You would have to put in a request with Slugger (possibly in this thread) to see if he would add women's college basketball.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Bravo mastering favorites, they are one of the keys to SageTV bliss!

Next setup Malore menus and filters to keep the output organized.

You can also if you have enough tuners, manually add a padding to the end of your favorites if they are not supported by SRE (which I don't use). I do this for some of mine that I find are often AFTER the stuff that that is supported by SRE.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I think we may be confusing two different subjects. You can set up a favorite without using SRE. ...
My confusion here was that I couldn't see how to create a Favorite based on a Title and then add a Keyword filter on that. So I asked whether that might be an SRE added feature.

Quote:
Search the Guide for the keyword "basketball." I get many listings for both "College Basketball" and "Women's College Basketball" ... Then click on one of them and go to the Program Info. There you can set up a favorite by clicking on "Record Series." ...
I don't get a an option for "Record Series".

Quote:
... Once clicking "Record Series," it will show the favorite added to the end of your favorites listing. Edit the series (favorite) by clicking on it, and go down to "Keyword" ...
If I look at a "Favorite" that was created by selecting it from the Guide, there's no Keyword button available when I try to edit the Favorite, while there IS such a button in the "edit" screen for a favorite created for "keywords" from the get go.

I'm running 6.5.5RC because I'm using HD200's at each TV and they came with instructions to make sure I used SageTV version 6.5 or better, even if that meant a beta.

pat----
Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Very interesting...

I am running the v6.5.4 beta, but I am pretty sure that is not the problem. I am only guessing here, but the difference is probably due to SageMC. I am running SageMC v6.3.8a. I have had SageTV for about 4 years, and only used it in client mode to watch live TV on a wireless laptop for about 3.5 of those years. Therefore I never really used the default STV except just to bring up the guide and watch live TV. Since going to a whole house media center solution, I have only used SageTV with SageMC. I assumed that the options to setup favorites were the same, but it looks like they may not be. That was a bad assumption on my part. Sorry for that. The process laid out works well in SageMC. Actually I walked through it and setup a college basketball favorite just to make sure I had the process right that I used a few months ago to set up favorites for the Denver Broncos and the Auburn Tigers. If I get a minute I may play with the default STV and see how different it is, or hopefully someone else can chime in and lay out the process for the default STV.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Please, there's no need to aplogize. You're trying to help me and I greatly appreciate it. I intend to go the SageMC route because there are a few add-in's I'm really interested in and I just like the look of it. But I had intended to get the WebServer and one of the two possible commercial skipping applications working before I started down the SageMC path ... I may have to rethink that when I get home from dinner over at my folks this evening .... hmmmm ...

pat----
Server -- Sage 7.1.9.256 in Service Mode w/Default UI - OS: Microsoft Windows Home Server (2003 SP2) - CPU: Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz, MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, RAM: 4GB OCZ, HD: SYS 1x500GB (SATA, 100GB C: ), DATA 3x1TB (SATA, in Pool, 64K cluster size)
Tuners -- 1xHDHomeRun Prime w/CC
Clients -- 2 HD200 Extenders and 2 HD300 Extenders