SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
SageTVaholic

USB-UIRT causes 100% CPU usage

I use a USB-UIRT to change channels on one of my cable boxes. I decided that it would be nice to be able to use a remote on my Sage WHS Server (SageMC can be mouse unfriendly) so I thought - why not use the USB-UIRT as a receiver in conjunction with these Hauppauge remotes that came with my HD-PVRs that I am not using (the boxes connected to the HD-PVR have firewire so I use that for channel change - my SD box does not have firewire - hence the need for the USB-UIRT).

But when I turn on the USB-UIRT with any remote as a receiver it causes the CPU usage to go to 100%. As soon as I go to no remote the CPU usage drops.

Apparently this happens when using the USB-UIRT as both a transmitter and receiver and it is a bug in the USB-UIRT drivers. This is explained in this thread but my problem doesn't seem to be completely the same as that thread talks about needing different user IDs for the service vs. the SageTV app and I don't run these with different IDs unlike BobPhoenix.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

FYI-I am running Sage for WHS 6.5.6 beta with a USB-UIRT which changes channels on a SA3200 box connected to a PVR-150. I also have two HD-PVRs connected to SA3250HD using firewire and EXEmultituner to change channels.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just to confirm, you are definately running both the service and the client portion as the same user AND with the same password? This was exactly what mine would do if I tried to use the usbuirt with the client on the server and was why I originally went to a standalone server, it was months before I discovered the answer to it!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Well - you were correct. I hadn't considered that the Service might be running under a different account. The Sage Service runs under the "SYSTEM" account whereas the SageTV app runs under the logged in user - which in my case is Administrator. I changed the Service to run under Administrator and now all is well - hopefully a reboot doesn't reset the Service to run under system.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I changed the Service to run under Administrator and now all is well - hopefully a reboot doesn't reset the Service to run under system.
I gave up using the Sage supplied 'applet thingamy' to set the user account and stop or start the service as I found it a bit hit or miss. In XP, if you are not aware already you can Right click 'My Computer' and choose 'Manage' open the 'Services' pane. Find the SageTV service, right click and choose properties then the 'Log on' tab and set up the way the service runs from there. Personally I found it more straightforward as my settings stick first time every time.