SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I wonder if Sage might be wiling to buy back a few of these out-of-warranty units for, say, $50 for a post-mortem analysis.
Why would they? They are offering no repairs on them and the warranty will be out soon on a model that is no longer produced or sold. (I'm not sure when the last HD100 was sold but a lot of them are already out of warranty) I have a hd100 that was one of the originals out of the first bunch and it is still functioning. Maybe someone should start a poll just to see how large this problem is. Right now there doesn't seem to be that many based on postings to the forum.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Why would they?
If the 200 is similiar enough to the 100 in terms of manufacturing, then it might be helpful information to know. If they can identify that it's a specific capacitor, for example, then they might look to see if they can source it elsewhere in future production runs.

If, on the other hand, they are produced by different manufactures at different facilities using different methods, then you're right, they might not glean anything useful from it.

I didn't mean to imply that they'd use the information to do anything with the 100, but rather, to help in the future for the 200.

Last edited by matt91; 03-11-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If the 200 is similiar enough to the 100 in terms of manufacturing
STX-100

HD200 HD Theater

I don't think so.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I don't think so.
Well, we're getting a little OT here. However, I don't think that physical size differences mean that there isn't a possibility that they share 80% of the same components.

If you, as a manufacturer, knew that a specific chip/diode/whatever failed in your last device, and you're using the exact same thing again, it might be useful information to know.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakker View Post
Chris,

Unfortunately it is beyond the warranty period and we don't offer a repair
service for them.

Thanks,

George Oms
SageTV, LLC
http://www.sagetv.com
This kinda reminds me of some service, lack there of, at Circuit City I had a few years back. I stop shopping there immediately and now look at them. I have an HD100 and if it dies I will not be buying an HD200 with this as their response. I will be moving on. I really hope the rethink this and at least offer sometime of help even if there is a charge for it.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, we're getting a little OT here. However, I don't think that physical size differences mean that there isn't a possibility that they share 80% of the same components.

If you, as a manufacturer, knew that a specific chip/diode/whatever failed in your last device, and you're using the exact same thing again, it might be useful information to know.
Actually I put the images up there so you could see the differences in the motherboard components. Not size or shape. It's all speculation anyways. Who's to say it's even the same component in any of the failures. On the hd100 the power supply is internal and that could be the issue and not even the motherboard. And I think what is going to hurt customer satisfaction is the fact if you purchased a hd100 you feel slightly abandoned anyways. The product is no longer produced. (It was produced for less than a year. HD200 came out 12/01/2008. And the HD100 was out of stock for quite a while before that.) There are no repair facilities available. Without an active warranty you are SOL.

Maybe Sage could look at offering a credit ($20-$25) towards a new hd200 if your hd100 dies. It's at least better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Maybe come up with a trade-up program from a hd100 to a hd200. Build up an inventory for warrany replacments or sell them as refurbished for a discount.

But I have already faced the facts that my hd100 is out of warranty so if it dies I'll be buying a hd200 or maybe a hd300 when that comes out.

Gerry
Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Sage Icon

Perhaps the reason that there was such a long wait between the first batch of HD100s and the second batch (from which mine came, circa 3/2008), and even the third batch, was that they were produced by different manufacturing facilities or perhaps have different components. Not a change in what components are inside, but who made them. Just a thought... who knows? I wish one of the mods would chime in here and give us a little info, rather than leaving us hanging on that short-and-sweet kiss-off email that sakker received.

Quote:
...I'll be buying a hd200 or maybe a hd300 when that comes out.
Aaaah, the HD300... the one with hulu, netflix, Pandora, and all other streaming web content available?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Aaaah, the HD300... the one with hulu, netflix, Pandora, and all other streaming web content available?
No, that's the one with a BR drive built in...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
No, that's the one with a BR drive built in...
+1

no

this one deserves a +2
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakker View Post
Chris,

Unfortunately it is beyond the warranty period and we don't offer a repair
service for them.

Thanks,

George Oms
SageTV, LLC
(Funny, I don't see any Chris mentioned in the email before this one, but anyway)

Unfortunately Sage does not understand the basics of the customer relations that make a company shine and prosper. You just don't address a problem the way George Oms at SageTV did above, especially when many units have died this way. Maybe something like adding a line giving a reason, such as "We would love to be able to repair them but [insert technical reason SageTV can't repair them]" and "In order to partially reimburnse you for the short life of your unit and to reward you as a loyal user, notwithstanding the warranty ran out and because of the particular and similar problem others have suffered with the same model, we would be pleased to extend a limited time $25 credit towards the purchase of our new HD200" or something to that effect. That would create tons of goodwill rather than the negativity towards the company the above email creates.

I don't have any problems with my HD200's as I haven't even bought them yet (first one of 5 was ordered and arrives this week I hope), but I think for SageTV to just send a kiss off 'we don't give a s**t' email like that is just VERY poor. Even if you don't want to give a credit of any type there are better ways to deal with one's customers that at least shows an attempt to preserve the goodwill towards the customer.

Remember, your customers are your BEST advertising (especially when you don't even do much advertising like SageTV). The only reason I am creating revenue for SageTV by buying their products is because Wayner, who loves the product, encouraged me to look into it. Would he have done so if he had a bunch of HD Theatres die on him and then got the above email from SageTV? Probably not. Enough said.

Displays: Panasonic 65" P65S2 & 50" PX77E plasmas, 19", 26" & 32" LCDs, 4 HD200s
Source: 2 HD-PVRs, Rogers Toronto SA 8300HD PVR, 4250HD firewire tuned, WHS, SageTV, Sonos 1xZP100 & 3xZP120 wireless audio, Gigabyte GA45-E45-UD3R mobo, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo E5200 (2MB L2), Nvidia GeForce 96400GT, 120GB OS drive, 1 & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green, Mushkin 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM, El Cheapo case, Corsair 520HX modular Power Supply.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

It's just George. He's direct and to the point. I'm sure many of us had not-so-pleasant email exchanges with George before. He does have the "they don't pay me enough to give a sh*t" persona.

Jeff on the other hand is a much better person to exchange with, but seems to only response to bug submissions, George handles all the other questions.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Sage

After some internal discussion we've decided to change our policy regarding this (the discussion was mostly about how, not if; clearly it needed to be changed).

For HD100's that are out of warranty; they can be sent in and we will attempt to repair them. The repair cost will be $60 which includes US return shipping in that price (international will be higher depending upon the shipping costs). If the unit cannot be repaired; then we'll offer a discount on purchase of similar hardware.

Sorry for the initial impression that we wouldn't be properly taking care of customers who are beyond the warranty period. But of course as you all know; we DO listen to our customers and will correct this situation.

For those who had contacted support and were told they are out of warranty w/ no repair service; please contact us again and we'll help you out.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Sage Icon

Impressive.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
After some internal discussion we've decided to change our policy regarding this (the discussion was mostly about how, not if; clearly it needed to be changed).

For HD100's that are out of warranty; they can be sent in and we will attempt to repair them. The repair cost will be $60 which includes US return shipping in that price (international will be higher depending upon the shipping costs). If the unit cannot be repaired; then we'll offer a discount on purchase of similar hardware.

Sorry for the initial impression that we wouldn't be properly taking care of customers who are beyond the warranty period. But of course as you all know; we DO listen to our customers and will correct this situation.

For those who had contacted support and were told they are out of warranty w/ no repair service; please contact us again and we'll help you out.
Narflex,

I would love to see a common cause analysis done on this as to how many units are dying and (perhaps if technically possible) what number of hours are on them. I would be interested also in the failure mechanism. I think a lot of us in the community would/could benefit from this.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Fantastic. Now that's a way to treat a customer. I also think the repair price is within the realms of fair for a unit that is out of warranty, given it also includes return shipping.

Displays: Panasonic 65" P65S2 & 50" PX77E plasmas, 19", 26" & 32" LCDs, 4 HD200s
Source: 2 HD-PVRs, Rogers Toronto SA 8300HD PVR, 4250HD firewire tuned, WHS, SageTV, Sonos 1xZP100 & 3xZP120 wireless audio, Gigabyte GA45-E45-UD3R mobo, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo E5200 (2MB L2), Nvidia GeForce 96400GT, 120GB OS drive, 1 & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green, Mushkin 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM, El Cheapo case, Corsair 520HX modular Power Supply.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Sage Icon

Now that the kind of company I been a huge fan of for the past 5 years.

My PC client goes back in the basement for storage

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 03-11-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Sage Expert

This is very impressive. Cheers to Sage.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

That's awesome, Jeff. Now I feel bad for talking sh*t about George.

Now I wanna buy another HD200 to replace my MVP just to support this company.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
Narflex,

I would love to see a common cause analysis done on this as to how many units are dying and (perhaps if technically possible) what number of hours are on them. I would be interested also in the failure mechanism. I think a lot of us in the community would/could benefit from this.
It's my guess it's the power supply, or dodgy capacitors left in the supply chain, has anyone cracked open a broken one, to eyeball obvious electrical failures?

It's also a fundamental difference between the HD100 and HD200.

But it is awesome that Sage decided to 180 on their hardware support policy

I do love my extenders, all TV in my house is viewed through the extenders.
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Bravo!

Gerry
Closed Thread