SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM
SageTVaholic

First shot of hd-pvr no dice

Well I recieved my first hd-pvr from amazon today. Rev d2 it was easily setup and working in sage. It locked up after about 5 minutes and no no longer even shows up in device manager I have tried turning it off and back on again. Also tried it in another computer it is not even getting reconized by windows.

Back to amazon it goes. No I am just wondering if maybe r5000 would be the better route seeing as i have dishnetwork.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Sage Icon

Not sure if it will help but make sure you have the latest firmware from the Hauppage website.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Agreed. Before sending back I'd try the following:

1. make sure you have the usb cable direct from the HD-PVR to the PC with no extending cables or USB hubs in-between
  2. No matter what, be sure you update the firmware and SageTV to the very latest. After updating the firmware reboot the computer.
  3. Check to see if it seems hot on the bottom of the HD-PVR after it "locks-up". If it isn't much hotter than it was before, I'm guessing its a firmware thing. If it's heat then it needs to be RMA'd.
Hope you get it working - I'm loving mine although I know Hauppauge needs to do a much better job at quality control on these things.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

What's this "firmware" you guys are talking about? Last I checked there was nothing we could update (i.e. flash) inside the HD-PVR. So, I assume you mean the latest drivers (1.0.5.3), correct? Just want to make sure we aren't confusing anybody.

Regarding #1: The other thing is to ensure that your HD-PVR is the only device connected to that particular USB channel. In general, most USB channels are shared by two USB ports. Also, ensure the cable isn't too long. I'd say (unofficially) no more than 6 feet.

That said, the device manager issue is troubling. Did you have issues installing the software (TME or the drivers)? Did you need to install any or all software multiple times? If so, I would highly suggest running the HCWCLEAR.exe file to remove all HD-PVR software remnants, rebooting, and then installing the latest HD-PVR software again.

EDIT: Also, ensure you have the delay set in your Sage properties file where it says "mmc/encoders/<some #>/delay_to_wait_after_tuning=4000" for your HD-PVR. It seems to be picky about when it first tunes to a channel and this delay seems to help immensely. Some have even set this as high as 9000. Mine's working fine at 4000, though.

Last edited by Skirge01; 02-14-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 PM
SageTVaholic

yes, I meant the latest drivers (not firmware). That wording slip was from too much quality time spent with the HD200 over the past month
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay did a wipe and a clean install (have always used latest drivers)

First does total media theatre have to be installed?

Second I can use it and see a picture with total media theatre but not with sage there is no option to add it as tuner source it dissapeared?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
First does total media theatre have to be installed?.....Second I can use it and see a picture with total media theatre but not with sage there is no option to add it as tuner source it dissapeared?
You should install the Total Media Extreme package that came with the HD-PVR. This will install the codecs used for audio and video playpack.

You should see the HD-PVR as a source in SageTV (It's labeled as "Hauppauge HD-PVR Capture Device"), providing of course that it shows up in Device Manager as being there and working. I think in Device Manager it's listed under sound, video and game devices.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Probably unrelated, but:

After recently installing my new (E1) HD-PVR, I could view it in TME, but received errors trying to set it up in Sage. After trying every possible combination I could think of, I finally installed the old version of TME that came with my original C1 version of HD-PVR, and that got things working. Then I was able to install the new 1.0.5.3 driver, which worked fine as long as I left the old TME in place. This indicated to me that it was a compatibility issue with the new version of TME.

I have been operating with the two HD-PVRs for a couple of months now, with no need to reboot either device (C1 or E1), or the server. I am not using digital audio, however.

Hope this is of some help!

Shaun

Last edited by smdl; 02-15-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
SageTVaholic

I am getting some where got sage to reconize it and the digital sound is working but only coming in two channel? any ideas I made sure the box was set to output 5.1 but not getting it on the hd200 on 2 channel.

Also the integrated IR blaster I can't get it to control the box for the life of me but that is okay I planned on ordering usbuirt anyhow.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Regarding #1: The other thing is to ensure that your HD-PVR is the only device connected to that particular USB channel. In general, most USB channels are shared by two USB ports. ...
Sorry for the ignorance, but how can one tell which USB ports are shared on a channel? I have 4 USB ports on back, and I'm currently using all of them - and then some (USB hub). I'd like to get the HD-PVR's on their own channel to try to get rid of a lockup problem I'm having on my first one (a D2). I haven't even taken the other one out of the box yet. Any suggested options for me?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

EDIT: Also, ensure you have the delay set in your Sage properties file where it says "mmc/encoders/<some #>/delay_to_wait_after_tuning=4000" for your HD-PVR. It seems to be picky about when it first tunes to a channel and this delay seems to help immensely. Some have even set this as high as 9000. Mine's working fine at 4000, though.
Can you tell me exactly which file I need to edit and how to do it? In my SageTV directory, I have a "Sage" file that is listed as a "PROPERTIES File". Then there is a "Sage.Properties", which is an "AUTOBACKUP File". I've tried editing both of these, both when SageTV is running and when it is shut down. Ultimately, my changes get reset back to the defaults.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_Cuda View Post
Can you tell me exactly which file I need to edit and how to do it? In my SageTV directory, I have a "Sage" file that is listed as a "PROPERTIES File". Then there is a "Sage.Properties", which is an "AUTOBACKUP File". I've tried editing both of these, both when SageTV is running and when it is shut down. Ultimately, my changes get reset back to the defaults.
First, configure Windows to display extensions so you know which file is which -- you'll need to edit Sage.properties.

Next, see this FAQ about what might be going wrong if you edit the properties file but the change doesn't take effect.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
First, configure Windows to display extensions so you know which file is which -- you'll need to edit Sage.properties.

Next, see this FAQ about what might be going wrong if you edit the properties file but the change doesn't take effect.

- Andy
Hello,

I had exactly the same problem with my first unit, comming too from Amazon (see one of my other post). It stopped working after two days.

I sent it back for a replacement unit. It is a very easy process with Amazon. You just have to send your HD PVR. They will ship you the new one same day, and will not charge your credit card. You will have one month the return the bad unit.
My new unit works fine so far...Just hope it will last (but I am not so sure...).

Philippe
Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_Cuda View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, but how can one tell which USB ports are shared on a channel? I have 4 USB ports on back, and I'm currently using all of them - and then some (USB hub). I'd like to get the HD-PVR's on their own channel to try to get rid of a lockup problem I'm having on my first one (a D2). I haven't even taken the other one out of the box yet. Any suggested options for me?
See my response in this thread. The entire thread may be helpful, so I didn't link directly to the part you're asking about.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post

- Andy
Thanks for the response and the link. I was doing everything correctly except using the SageTVServiceControl to shut down the service. I was killing the process in Windows, and apparently that wasn't working. Thanks for helping me solve this problem - and pointing me to a place where I can find solutions to other problems as well.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
See my response in this thread. The entire thread may be helpful, so I didn't link directly to the part you're asking about.
Thanks. That's kind of what I figured (the vertically aligned USB ports on the MB are on one bus), but I didn't know how to verify this. As it was, the HD-PVR was the only thing I had plugged in on one stack (i.e. bus?). I still have frequent lockups, so I don't think that's going to help me. I think I'm going to get a USB PCI expansion card, though, to run everything else and use the 2 buses? (2x2 = 4 USB ports) on the MB to connect my 2 HD-PVRs to try to minimize USB bus related issues.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Regarding lock-ups. Some lock-ups do happen because off a problem with the IR receiver of the HD PVR. So in case you have a remote control which is pointed at the HD PVR (even though you're actually using another remote receiver), I recommend that you make sure that the HD PVR cannot receive any IR signal (e.g. put something in front of the IR window)

My HD PVR did not lock-up since I did this...
Old 02-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Regarding lock-ups. Some lock-ups do happen because off a problem with the IR receiver of the HD PVR. So in case you have a remote control which is pointed at the HD PVR (even though you're actually using another remote receiver), I recommend that you make sure that the HD PVR cannot receive any IR signal (e.g. put something in front of the IR window)

Thanks, I'll try that. It normally seems to lock up when I'm navigating menus (either setup or program guide), which means I'm using the remote. It doesn't seem to lockup when left on it's own for a period of time - although I don't have much data because I'm tinkering with it and having it lock up daily. I've tried everything else I can find so far (on it's own USB bus, channel change delay, fixed output resolution), and I still get lock ups. Hopefully this will help. I'll report back with my results.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Sage User

How I got mine to work.

I received two from Amazon. Make sure you run hcwclear. It's a utility on the Hauppauge website. Follow their instructions. Look on the left side, bottom of the page when you download the new driver. It's there.
It seems they know you have to pull weeds out by the roots.
I think every Hauppauge user has done this dance before.

Make sure you install on full speed 2.0 ports.

You can use a tool called "usbview" available on the web (Google it).
When you see it identified properly there on an "enhanced" host controller, you are ready to install the encoder in Sage.

Then get your beverage refreshed.

Don't use the IR blaster that came with the HD-PVR box.
The Hauppauge IR driver is unreliable, IMHO.

I used a USBUIRT. I got the 2 zone configuration to work, after flashing the USBUIRT device with the latest firmware.
That turned out to be important, as it failed to learn codes for the comcast boxen when I first installed. I've had it for 3-4 years and they improved the detection firmware since. After that, it worked like a charm. Create a new box in sage and teach it codes. Do that for each cable box.
Then you edit the .ir files to enter the zone designations.

The topic of IR control is vast and in other posts.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

I wish I would've read this a long time ago. I'm going to give this a shot and see what happens, but I do recall noticing on numerous occasions that the HD-PVR would freeze or stop recording just as I hit a button on my Harmony remote.