SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Question about manual recording

On my older PVRs (not SageTV) I could start manually start a recording and it would save the recording up to the beginning of the show even if I started in the middle of the channel/network which was already tuned into.

Example I tune into a live show and watch it for 25 minute but I like it and wanted to save it so I would press recording then it would save from the beginning of the time I tuned in because it already on the harddrive and start saving it until the end of the show time on the guide.

But on SageTV it seem to start saving the show the moment you press recording even thou you could go back all the way up to the beginning of the time you tuned into the network because that is still on the harddrive.

Follow what I am saying I know I am having a hard time trying it explain it out on words on a message board but it close to what I can explain in texts.

I did try going back and press record in hope it would save from the beginning but it didn't work for me and only save the recording on the show from the moment I pressed record button.

So is there a trick to save the show from the beginning of the time I tuned into the network / channel or that how SageTV record work?

I know I could copy the file from SageTV recording folder into another folder to save it but kind of defeat the purpose of having HTPC if non-HTPC could do this like the Dishnetwork PVR or ReplayTV PVR etc could save recordings from the beginning of the show if it was already tuned into that show previously and you deicded to save it after watching it for 30-45 minutes into the show etc.

Bill

* moved to SageMC forum *
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x

Last edited by TechBill; 02-16-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

The stock UI does what you want already. According to your sig, you're using SageMC, so you should probably post in the SageMC forum to find out how to do it in that UI.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
The stock UI does what you want already. According to your sig, you're using SageMC, so you should probably post in the SageMC forum to find out how to do it in that UI.
I thought UI have nothing to do with remote functions.

I am pressing a button on a remote control to record a show manually, not selecting it via a menu on UI.

The same recording function that I set up in Detail setting in default SageTV UI under remote commands so is SageMC overriding the recording command in UI?

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think I am following, and this one had me confused for a bit as well.

If you are watching a show and some point into it you decide to record the entire thing, you hit the record button. A menu will come up asking you if you want to record from the current time (can't recall exact wording). If you hit "yes", then it will start recording from the point where you are watching the show. If you hit "no", then it will save the recording from the beginning of the show (or where you tuned to the channel).

try that.
QTY 2 dual-core AMD 3.0GHz Opteron processors, Windows 7 Pro, 4G RAM, 500GByte system drive, 3TByte recording drives, ATI video Radeon 5500, on-board audio, 3 HD100 Extenders, Gigabyte Switch, 2 Haup. PV150 tuners
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
I think I am following, and this one had me confused for a bit as well.

If you are watching a show and some point into it you decide to record the entire thing, you hit the record button. A menu will come up asking you if you want to record from the current time (can't recall exact wording). If you hit "yes", then it will start recording from the point where you are watching the show. If you hit "no", then it will save the recording from the beginning of the show (or where you tuned to the channel).

try that.
That what I did exactly hit "No" trying to save the whole thing but I think I got it figure out now.

It doesn't always default at "No" so I guess I am hitting the "Select / OK" right away thinking that it always defaults at "No" when you hit record button

But after a few more testing tonight I notice that sometime it switch to "Yes" so I was probably not paying attention and hit "OK" thinking it was on the default "No".

Like I have to rush do something so I hit record button then OK and drop remote to leave quickly without looking at the TV screen. 8-P

Thanks for helping out!

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM
SageTVaholic

BTW, you can disable the popup and have it always save the recording from the beginning:

Settings >> SageMC >> Recording >> Partial Recording >> Disabled

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
BTW, you can disable the popup and have it always save the recording from the beginning:

Settings >> SageMC >> Recording >> Partial Recording >> Disabled

Aloha,
Mike

It working exactly the way I wanted after disabling it!

I need to pay more closer to settings and options hehehe ...

Thank you!
Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 02-17-2009, 03:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
The same recording function that I set up in Detail setting in default SageTV UI under remote commands so is SageMC overriding the recording command in UI?
Setting up the command mapping just binds a button on the remote to the Record command. It doesn't determine how the Record command actually behaves; that's up to the UI.