SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

WHS New Install -4,0x80040217 Exception, Please help!

Hi, I'm newly installing to WHS. I had sage working a year ago on XP and stopped using it, I'm now trying to get a WHS implementation working. I would like to see it working on my WHS server but when I play I get the -4,0x80040217 Exception no matter what I pick (overlay, vmr9, default). I have yet to see video work on the box. I'm sure it is a codec issue. Problem is, when I had it working before, I never messed with codecs... sage just "worked". I'm not sure what codec to download to see video.

I have a HD Homerun and in the config for that I was able to hear audio but video under Windows Media Player 10 said "can't find codec".

So my stupid question is: What codec do I download for WHS that will make it so Sage works, but not screw up WHS? Any help to a codec challenged noob is greatly appreciated.

Sage 6.5.9 for WHS
DX9 installed
Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
4GB Memory
AMD 780G chipset with an integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics adapter.

Last edited by dealsdyker; 02-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Are you trying to watch media on the WHS server itself or via a client/placeshifter/extender?

Did you install java too?

I've used Nvidia pure video and pdvd7/8 codecs on WHS with success, others have used Arcsoft and others I'm sure.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you, yes, I did install Java.

I am wanting to watch on the WHS system itself. It is in the basement, in the utility room, but does have a monitor. I will be using placeshifter on the main 50" upstairs.

Your post pushed me in the right direction though. After reading it I downloaded ffdshow and installed on WHS. No joy. So I ran start>allprograms>ffdshow> Video Decoder Configuration. I saw that MPEG1 and MPEG2 were disabled. I changed them to libavcodec and now can see SD video in Sage. Not sure if it is the best video as there are some jaggies on fast motion. My processor is running at 50%.

If anyone can suggest a better free codec let me know. I thought about installing klite but there is a ton of stuff in it and I really don't want to mess up the WHS with a bunch of extra bloat.

If anyone else follows this path: I have
renderer=VMR9,
mpeg2 decoder = default
mpeg4 playback=DirectShow
Dscaler dinterlacing filter = disabled
audio renderer=default waveout
mpeg2 audio decoder=ac3

1. Does the codec on the WHS server have any effect on the placeshifter client?
2. Any better (free) codec I should grab than libavcodec? I do see libmpeg2 available as a selection in ffdshow but nothing else.

Last edited by dealsdyker; 02-20-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well as I mentioned I won't be watching video in the furnace room very much, however, when I do bring up Sage to watch something now about 25% o the time, if I "maximize" the screen sage just disappears. No blue screen, no error, no GPF. Sage is running as a service on the server so it keeps recording but what would cause it to just "poof".
Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

WHS is made to run headless. That said, I use my server gui to configure and test without issues. The only codecs I have installed on WHS are XviD and DivX (which propbably need to be upgraded) and I use the PDVD5 decoder which came with the DVD drive that's in that box.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Sage User

Question about viewing on WHS

I have the same problem with the exception error but I can view using Sage default player
If I run with Sage Default play does this effect the quality on my HD 200 and HD 100.

I am running on WHS ado it runs fine otherwise.

Ed
Old 03-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdPhotoguy View Post
I have the same problem with the exception error but I can view using Sage default player
If I run with Sage Default play does this effect the quality on my HD 200 and HD 100.

I am running on WHS ado it runs fine otherwise.

Ed
I don't think how you play back on the server (when you are using it as a client for playback) has any affect on how you play back on any other clients as the file is still the same stored file regardless. If I'm incorrect I'm sure more experienced will correct me.