SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Missed recordings (not SageTV's fault) - can I get a list?

As always, please point me to posts I've overlooked... I did search here first and I hope I didn't miss something obvious -- like I did last time I did look at customizations for SageTV Media Center too, but didn't see any for this purpose.

Here's my question:

Is there a (relatively straightforward) way, I can get a list of any past airings that SageTV *would* have recorded (had it been able to), that are not currently scheduled to be recorded?

More times than I'd like, the PC with SageTV on it, is powered off for a period of time, perhaps a day or a bit more. (Yes it's on UPS etc. I'm working on the uptime angle...)

One or more scheduled or Favorite recordings may have been missed during this period. Not SageTV's fault of course.

I know that (Favorite settings permitting) SageTV will record the show whenever another airing turns up. For a manual recording, it's just missed.

Sometimes there will not be another airing of the missed Favorite for quite while, such as for brand new season where the repeat airings won't occur for several months.

For a missed manual recording, there may or may not be another airing currently 'in sight' that could be manually scheduled.

So that is why I'm looking for a way to get a list of recordings that SageTV ought to have but doesn't, that can't be explained because they were previously marked 'watched', 'don't like' etc. Shows that by all accounts SageTV ought to have waiting in the 'recordings' section?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas...
--pseudonym

XP Pro SP3 w/SageTV Media Center (*not* running as a service)
- version 6.5.11 (beta)
Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Sage Icon

When you are in the favorites settings, and click on additional airings, it does show past and furture airings.

You can install the web server plugin and you can see a list of Don't likes and Watched shows.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

@mayamaniac

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry, that is not what I'm after. I don't want a list of shows that have been marked 'watched' 'don't like' or any other reasons why SageTV would NOT record them (again).

I'm after a list of shows that *would* have been recorded -- if only SageTV had been running at the time.

And I want filtered from that list, those SageTV has already put on the upcoming recording schedule.

So what I really want to know, what past airings did I miss getting a recording of, that SageTV has not (yet) scheduled to record?

Maybe I'm the only one who has no idea what is on, most of the time... I often go weeks or months without watching any recordings, so when my PC is down I'd like to find out what I missed capturing for later, that SageTV doesn't yet know how to replace.

I hope that makes more sense...

Thanks,
--pseudonym
Old 02-28-2009, 06:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
I often go weeks or months without watching any recordings...
If you're expecting to get a list of missed recordings going back weeks or months, you're out of luck. EPG data is purged from the database after a couple of days; only airings that were actually recorded or watched or marked Don't Like are retained longer than that. So while in principle it wouldn't be hard to search backward for airings that meet your "missed recording" criteria, in practice there isn't any data there to search (beyond a couple of days).
Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Greg, thanks for reply.

Although I go without watching anything for weeks or months, I know when the machine has been off... I'm the one who turns it back on So running a 'report' of some kind, right then, would only need the last few days' worth of data, at most.

Possible?

Thanks again for help,
--pseudonym
Old 02-28-2009, 09:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Possible in principle, in the sense that an add-on could be written to do this. I don't know of an existing add-on that does it in the form you want. The web server provides list of past airings and recorded airings on a per-favorite basis, so if you're clever with web scripting you might be able to automate the process of deriving what you want to know from that info.

There's also a recently released scripting framework add-on that lets you script database queries and other API calls from Javascript, so that might be another approach.

Or somebody could create a full-blown STVI plugin to display this information directly in the Sage UI.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Sage Icon

As a built-in features, you're out of luck as Greg said. As a workaround, you can get a list of future recordings with the webserver, it spits out an xml file of upcoming recordings, so fetch it before you shut down the server. But it can only see two weeks ahead at a time.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

@mayamaniac

Yes I suspected there was no 'built-in' feature or hopefully I would have found it by now... well maybe not but there was always a chance

I don't understand your suggestion about the export from the webserver? Can you explain how you see the list of upcoming recordings helps me to solve the problem? I want a list of missed shows that are NOT currently in the upcoming recordings?

Thanks in advance for explanation,
--pseudonym
Old 02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the link to the scripting framework, from a brief look it appears promising. It looks like I need to install the API then I can use the scripting framework from either inside of SageTV or external to SageTV, and I don't need to install webserver or other software.

If I can run a quick command-line java proggie from outside SageTV and get what I need, it will be perfect I think. Thanks again for the suggestion.

--pseudonym
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

What I've been doing (but only works when the machine is still running)

I have a reboot scripted every week

about an hour before I come home every day from work I have a batch file scheduled to run that contains
Code:
start "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox"  "http://127.0.0.1:8080/sage/RecordingSchedule"
so as long as the machine keeps running I can see what was scheduled to record each day ... (until the next reboot which clears the tabs in Firefox)
(Offline browsing History might bring up old contents or new???)

Code:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/sage/RecordingSchedule?xml=yes
will give you a file save dialog with a three day listing (default) ... so if you used autoit or a vbs file to click 'yes' save for you (or checked save this type of file automatically) ... then renamed the file recording_schedule.xml to recording_schedule.today.xml and then recording_schedule.yesterday the next day and so on ...

Most times I've checked the SageTV EPG History, if the EPG has refreshed that day, the "EPG History" only seems to go back a day ... but I don't check it that often in reverse.

geez ... am I babling ...

Need Sleep ... sorry

Hope some of it helps ...

Bobby
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Bobby,

Not babbling at all :-)

Thank you for this info, your script sounds great.

I won't have a chance until this weekend to try out both suggestions (Greg's API info and your script), after I do I will post back my results or if I have any questions.

Thanks again,
--pseudonym