SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

SageMC, DVD Profiler, & WHS

OK, I am hoping I am just missing something here, but I am having trouble figuring out if I can get my WHS SageTV install with SageMC pointed to my DVD Profiler directories on another Vista computer. When I had a XP SageTV "server," setting up the directories was a snap. Now with WHS, I can not seem to figure out how to get to the two needed locations on my other computer. The Vista locations are:

Collection.xml location: C:\Users\<user>\Documents\DVD Profiler
DVD Profiler directory: C:\Users\<user>\Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default

When I try to have SageTV/SageMC on the WHS server navigate to them, I do not get a network choice to navigate to the other computer. And, if I enter in the below paths into the Specify box, it does not find them either.

Collection.xml location: \\OFFICE\C\Users\<user>\Documents\DVD Profiler
DVD Profiler directory: \\OFFICE\C\Users\<user>\Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default

Is there another way to tackle this path problem that will get me there? Is it just not able to work with DVD profiler setup on a different computer than the WHS server? Do I need to install and use DVD profiler on the WHS server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Sage Icon

Something basic but...
Can you navigate to the share from a WHS explorer window outside of sage (using the UNC path)?
Did you manually create a share for the entire C drive? By default windows shares all the drives (and a couple of other system shares) however you must add a $ after the drive letter. In your example this would be:
Code:
\\OFFICE\C$\Users\<user>\Documents\DVD Profiler
However, I would recommend you share the ..\Documents\DVD Profiler folder instead. It would be a simpler, shorter, easier to understand path.

Quote:
Do I need to install and use DVD profiler on the WHS server?
You shouldn't have to. I don't use WHS but I do use Server 2003. I changed database location to be on the server for central storage but do not have DVD Profiler installed there. I use DVD Profiler on my desktop and just point the database to the one on the server. Works great
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks so much for the reply. That really helped. I figured it had to be something simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
Something basic but...
Can you navigate to the share from a WHS explorer window outside of sage (using the UNC path)?
Quote:
However, I would recommend you share the ..\Documents\DVD Profiler folder instead. It would be a simpler, shorter, easier to understand path.
Based on your suggestion, I played around in the WHS explorer and discovered that the proper path for me is:

Code:
\\OFFICE\Documents\DVD Profiler
I guess I had shared the Documents folder long ago and was just thinking that I needed the full path to get there. I put the proper paths in SageTV and everything works great.

Quote:
I changed database location to be on the server for central storage but do not have DVD Profiler installed there. I use DVD Profiler on my desktop and just point the database to the one on the server. Works great
Interesting idea. Is there a benefit to having the database on the server instead of the desktop PC? WHS backs up my desktop so I am covered from that standpoint. Is there a savings in network traffic? Does SageTV have to grab the cover art from the desktop each time a movie is selected?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. That really helped. I figured it had to be something simple.
Excellent I love it when it is something simple

Quote:
Is there a benefit to having the database on the server instead of the desktop PC? WHS backs up my desktop so I am covered from that standpoint.
I do it purely from a backup standpoint and my server is on 24/7, my desktop isn't. I can also access the database from my laptop too. Yes I own too many computers Also my desktop isn't the most stable of machines because it is my test/development environment so I like to keep as little irreplaceable data on the desktop as possible
Quote:
Is there a savings in network traffic? Does SageTV have to grab the cover art from the desktop each time a movie is selected?
I believe sage just grabs the cover art when it does a DVD Profiler refresh and then places a folder.jpg in each folder. So it shouldn't have any appreciable effect on network traffic.
Check out TVExplorer

Last edited by razrsharpe; 03-13-2009 at 11:00 PM.