SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Sage User

HD200 v. Hauppauge Media MVP - SD Content

I currently have one Hauppauge Media MVP connected via the network to my PC (running latest Sage 6.5 MC - SMC). I have a single Hauppauge HVR 1600 card with the thought of expanding to a second card and potentially a 3rd in the future.

I want to grow my network in the home - to be able to watch media from the PC in any room, plus be able to watch and pause LIVE TV - via the network (to the Sage server).

Today I am recording only analogue standard definition (SD) content off the cable box. I do not plan in the foreseeable future any HD recording or purchasing any HD TVs.

I can easily slide into a few more Media MVP (+ Sage extenders) but then I am thinking that if I plan to move into the HD TV world in the future, this would be of no use. In fact I am considering adding 3 more MVP units (cost per unit is ~$100US + $30US for Sage). Plus I have read some very good things about the HD200.

The big picture plan might be to get an HD200 - with the thought that this unit would be at least forward compatible. (though I have been burned with buying gear in this manner). As I have no need for wireless, the HD200 is a viable option.

So I am posting this message with some questions about this unit:
a) Cost & Pieces Required - HD200+Extender
I initially bot STVMSPC ($99) which included Windows SMC plus MVP Extender.

From what I am reading - there is no additional extender license required - just the cost of the unit - $199US.

FAQ here

Please advise if I am wrong.

b) SD Support
I noticed it outputs composite/S-Video and standard RCA audio. Though the unit is touted as an HD player, am I correct in that this would fully support SD playback - and would easily replace the Media MVP in what it does?

This box will show live TV via the Sage MC PC - I can then pause/play accordingly. I can get to the program guide and record programs via this box.

c) Media media everywhere but SMC doesn't play them all! Usage Modes - Native v. Extender

First it appears that the unit in Standalone mode will playback a slew of media formats not available from within the SageMC. The main one that I am concerned with is the playback of ISO files.

SMC forces you - AFAIK, to copy all the files under a folder - like a DVD structure - that works but I would much perfer a single ISO file in a folder. I am sick of "mounting" - I love using VLC since I can merely double click the ISO and the content plays.

So regarding this, I read the manual and I am not seeing an easy way to flip between Native (standalone) and Extender mode.

HD200 Manual

In the GeekTonic review it said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekTonic
That list of supported format and codec support above is very, very good. Good luck finding a competing HTPC extender that can handle all of those formats. In addition the HD200 can play back ISO files and Ripped DVD files (unencrypted) as well and recognizes cover image files for your media if you have those with your media.
Q: Is there an EASY/FAST way to flip between modes? (ie a bootup ... timeout feature to choose the mode)? From what I am reading it appears that the Sage MC "use extender" must be enabled - but that there is no control on the actual HD200 unit. Correct? That once I desire the extender to be used, that I cannot easily flip back to Native.

(I am looking for "individual unit" toggles - not system wide. If I had 2xHD200's, I may only want one of them to be Standalone mode)

Q: Does anyone know if the Sage MC system will at some point ever support playback of content deemed usable in the "standalone HD200" mode? (or is this now possible?)

IMO, outside of say the Media MVP, if I am on the said Sage MC PC I should be able to have directories with various media formats and play them.

Thoughts?

d) MPEG4 Format Playback
I noticed the formats for playback includes MPEG4 (DivX) on the HD200.

Media MVP natively plays MPEG1 with the built in CPU but not MPEG4. For MPEG4, the backend PC (running SMC) must be used to decode (I believe it decodes and streams in MPEG format). Hauppauge also states due to the CPU usage on the PC, that only ONE MVP box can playback DIVX at a time.

With the HD200 connected - in either STANDALONE or EXTENDER mode, are DivX movies "streamed" as MPEG4 and decoded exclusively on the box? Or do the same limitations exist in that the decoding occurs on the Sage MC PC? I am hoping that for this "extender" that Sage MC 6.5 knows the difference and just streams the MPEG4 for decoding at the box.

My longer term goal would be to have more content converted to DivX (encoding issues aside) to save on disk space. Pie in the sky.

This is a negative with the MediaMVP. I have existing content already in DivX and know that my expansion is limited continuing with that gear.

e) Number of HD200's
Are there any known limitations to the number of HD200 units? Looking at potentially 2-4 units, in the end.

thanks!
belly
Old 03-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have had an HD200 unit since they were first available and can answer some of your questions.

Quote:
From what I am reading - there is no additional extender license required - just the cost of the unit - $199US.
This is true. All you need is to purchase the unit. No additional client license is required.

Quote:
b) SD Support
I noticed it outputs composite/S-Video and standard RCA audio. Though the unit is touted as an HD player, am I correct in that this would fully support SD playback - and would easily replace the Media MVP in what it does?
As far as I know this is not a problem. I have never actually had my unit hooked up to an SD TV but I think others here have. The interface as far as live tv menu navigation etc. is just as fast as if you were using the server pc directly.

Quote:
SMC forces you - AFAIK, to copy all the files under a folder - like a DVD structure - that works but I would much perfer a single ISO file in a folder.
This is true with the HD200 in extender mode. I tried this by adding a folder containing a DVD in both formats, Iso and folder ( video_ts ) and only the folder shows up in extender mode on SageMC on the HD200. I could be missing something.

Quote:
Q: Does anyone know if the Sage MC system will at some point ever support playback of content deemed usable in the "standalone HD200" mode? (or is this now possible?)
Actually, any format, as far as I know, except maybe ISO's, will play back in the SageMC interface in extender mode the same as standalone. I use extender mode exclusively and my video library consists of a variety of mpeg4 content including Divx and or xvid in avi format, as well as h264 in .mkv format.

Quote:
With the HD200 connected - in either STANDALONE or EXTENDER mode, are DivX movies "streamed" as MPEG4 and decoded exclusively on the box? Or do the same limitations exist in that the decoding occurs on the Sage MC PC? I am hoping that for this "extender" that Sage MC 6.5 knows the difference and just streams the MPEG4 for decoding at the box.
All the video playback is handled on the HD200 with the server pc doing nothing but streaming the files. My server is an old emachines athlon 64. It was barely able to keep up with transcoding a Divx rip back when I had an mvp. There's no way it could transcode a 720p bluray rip, heck it can't even play back most of what is stored on it since I removed the video card and sold it on ebay....

Quote:
So regarding this, I read the manual and I am not seeing an easy way to flip between Native (standalone) and Extender mode.

It is slow to switch from standalone to server mode but you would not need to in order to do most of what you want to do. Mine is set to autoconnect to my Sage server on bootup so I never even see standalone mode.