SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 Firmware 20090403 Warning - REQUIRES Upgrade to BETA Server Software !

Be aware that if you upgrade the HD200 firmware and use it as an extender, all your recordings will will display garbage Closed Captioning info with no way to turn it off on the extender.

To turn it off, you HAVE to install 6_5_13 BETA software on the Sage server !!!!

I regularly upgrade the firmware on my HD200, but rarely use Sage BETA on the server.

It would have been VERY nice to have been alerted to this "requirement" on the HD200 Firmware changes thread.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I could be wrong, but I believe all Beta firmwares require that you use the very latest Beta Server version of SageTV. Always.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry if this sounds harsh. But I feel that SageTV do not deserve this. They are a very open company when it comes to beta releases. Making it possible for an interaction between end-users that want to experiment and SageTV to work out a better final release, than if it had not been like this.

What do you want. A closed beta cycle that only a few gets into? Both the server software and extender firmware are clearly marked as beta. You even have to type in the 'secret' code to upgrade on the extender. We should not expect SageTV to even try to maintain compatibility between different releases when beta is involved in any of them (server or extender). Yes, they could, if all were perfect, noted in firmware thread that server software should have been updated. But beta is beta, if it was a real release version for both server and extender I would agree.

When that is said. I find it very informative that you tell about this experience. Makes it easier for others in same situation to solve it. But I don't find the need to blame SageTV for it.
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000
Old 04-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe all Beta firmwares require that you use the very latest Beta Server version of SageTV. Always.
I guess I was not aware of that requirement.

Obviously, if you want to use new core functionality, you have to upgrade both server and the extender.

I routinely upgrade the HD200 without upgrading the server, and this is the first time I have ever run into an issue. Perhaps I have just been lucky in the past.

I am not blaming Sage, as it was fairly easy to fix by installing the beta server. I was just hoping to save other users any frustration by mentioning the issue I ran across.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Or you could have just installed the last official extender firmware.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshOne View Post
I routinely upgrade the HD200 without upgrading the server, and this is the first time I have ever run into an issue. Perhaps I have just been lucky in the past.
I would'nt say you've been lucky. It has often been no problems doing the new beta's without upgrading server at once. But we are talking beta, so it was bound to happen something at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshOne View Post
I am not blaming Sage, as it was fairly easy to fix by installing the beta server. I was just hoping to save other users any frustration by mentioning the issue I ran across.
And that you are doing. This is a primarily a user-2-user forum. So telling about your problems and solutions are appreciated. I'm just so happy myself that SageTV are implementing subtitling built-in (been a long time). I felt your post was a bit attacking SageTV than about the problem. Hence the rant from me. I'll just go back to enjoying my Blu-Ray subtitling now
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage Expert

Personally I think Sage is a great company with a great product(s). It's more cutting-edge stuff though, and the betas are not for the casual user.

On one hand, I do believe Sage should do a little better job sometimes of making it clear to new users what they should/shouldn't do (e.g. when I first got the HD100 extender it wouldn't play back my PVR files; I had no idea I needed to update the firmware first, or even that there were regular firmware updates). On the other, as long as they keep making great improvements to the software, it's a not a big issue.