SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Crashing to desktop frequently... new install

Hello!

I recently rebuilt my HTPC so I can use the HD-PVR. I'm having an issue where if I'm watching a show, and press Stop->Delete->Delete and Set Watched SageTV + SageMC will crash to the desktop with no error.

I upped my JVM heapsize to 512MB in the registry already and it seemed to help a little, but Im still getting frequent crashes. What can I do? Does SageMC produce a logfile of some sort?

Should I look for anything in the EventLog? This doesn't occur when I am using the default STV (because I it doesnt allow you to delete from pressing the stop button, it just stops the playback and takes you immediately to the recording list)
Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Try upping the JVM heapsize to 1024MB and see if that helps. I was having frequent crashes to the desktop (several per day) - usually when pressing "Watch" on a recording or live program from the Guide. I tried 512, but it didn't seem to help. I was still maxing out at 512, so I upped it to 1024. Although I still max it out, my crashes have all but gone away. Since I am still in tweak mode and make frequent changes, I can't say that was the change that made the difference. But that was probably the most significant and relevant change I made around the time the frequency of crashes plummeted.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Cuda, I'll bump it up again tonight and see how it goes. Going to 512 helped a bit so this will probably do the trick.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Whats the 'proper' way to go about troubleshooting/bug reports for sageMC?

Hello everyone -

I have a new SageTV install (ugprade really but its entirely new hardware with a fresh install). And whenever I use SageMC I get either crashes to desktop or hard error SageTV crashes. When I use the base STV I get FAR fewer issues.

My questions was how would I go about troubleshooting with the creators/maintainers of SageMC and the users here? Does SageMC create log files? Does it tack onto the Sage debug logs? Etc....

I'd really like to use SageMC again (I used it on my previous install and love it) so I'd like to fix whatever is going on if possible because now it makes Sage unusable. What kind of info can I provide to get this process started? Thanks in advance

* merged *
Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

SageMC uses the same SageTV debug log. See the tips and tricks sticky at the top of the forum for instructions if you are unsure how to enable it.

The best thing to do is Search the forum for similar problems. If you can't find the solution to your problem, then start a thread describing your problem(s) in as much detail as possible. Include any steps that can reliably used to reproduce the problem for you. Also include a listing of your basic hardware and software. Also, make sure the problem occurs without any additional plugins/imports installed.

You can generate a log file and post it as well. If the log file is long, it would be helpful if you could give an idea of the time at which you reproduced the problem so we can jump to that timestamp in the file.

There are lots of helpful users here and I try to help out when I have the time. If it is determined to be a bug in SageMC then you can add it to the bug report thread and I'll work on fixing it.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 PM
SageTVaholic

One thing you can try right off the bat is to increase you max java heap size. SageMC is a bit more resource intensive than the default STV. There is a utility to adjust SageTV registry settings (by babgvant) in the downloads section. Try increasing the heap size to 512 MB or higher and see if that helps.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. I'll grab some logs tonight.

I have bumped up the java heap twice already, the first time to 512 and the second time to 1024...

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Crashing to desktop w/ log

Hello -

I get frequent crashes to desktop with my new build. Im attaching a log file. It occurs most if I am watching a long show, and its towards the end of the recording. If I hit the stop button twice quickly (first to stop the recording, second to return to UI menu) it will crash to desktop with no error popup window.

I've bumped up the jvm heap to 1024MB and the problem is still here...

Any thoughts?

* merged *
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0_May_10_2009.zip (93.5 KB, 191 views)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm assuming this didn't help, since you posted another thread with the exact same issue.

Anyhow, I found this thread because I'm having the same issue and--I believe--under the same circumstances. However, I believe it's happening at other times, as well. I already have logging enabled on both the client and the server, so I'll post those up the next time it happens. When I do, I'll also post my version info.

For the time being, anyone else seeing this issue?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Nope, I bumped it to 1024 and still to luck.

It seems to happen most to me when I either watch a lot of small shows (say 3 to 5 30-minute shows in a row) or 1 long show like a hockey or lacrosse game that spans a few hours and I do a lot of FF/RR to skip commericals or watch replays.

It happens with the default STV, the basic Comskip STV and the SageMC stv. (obviously I do not use all three at the same time, only 1 gets used at a time).

It's really frustrating.

On a side note Ive opened an official ticket with Sage to troubleshoot so I'll update both threads with any info that comes from that.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM
SageTVaholic

I'd prefer that the info gets consolidated in a single thread, rather than spread across multiple ones. It makes it easy for searching, too. I actually noticed you have three of these threads going.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I did have a few going because when I created because at the time I was using SageMC to see the issue, but realized it occurs with the default STV. I didnt want to get into a pointing fingers game between SageMC and regular SageTV

If possible I'd like to have this thread moved to

SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

instead of the SageMC forum because it seems to be an issue with SageTV.

I feel like it would get more attention there.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

If you haven't done so already, then I suggest reverting to a completely default setup with no customizations active, including disabling the hidden extras in the default STV. Do not run anything other than what SageTV installs. If you encounter problems using SageTV that way, then continue with support (you said you already contacted them) or post in either the SageTV Software or Beta sections of the forum, depending on whether you are using the beta. You should probably try the beta in case it was a problem in SageTV that has already been fixed.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
If you haven't done so already, then I suggest reverting to a completely default setup with no customizations active, including disabling the hidden extras in the default STV. Do not run anything other than what SageTV installs. If you encounter problems using SageTV that way, then continue with support (you said you already contacted them) or post in either the SageTV Software or Beta sections of the forum, depending on whether you are using the beta. You should probably try the beta in case it was a problem in SageTV that has already been fixed.

- Andy
Thanks Andy! That is exactly what Im doing now and just sending logs to SageTV support. I am using the Beta DeMux too because that fixed some of the audio/video syncing issues.

I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm reviving this thread because I started noticing this more once I began using the TVE plug-in. I checked my client system and noticed my memory usage was hitting 1.5GB out of the 2GB in the system. I upgraded to 4GB and haven't crashed to the desktop since.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7