SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Sage User

New to SageTV Placeshifter - Need Help!

Hello, I am new to SageTV Placeshifter and I am looking for help on getting up and running. Here's what I've done so far.....
- Installed SageTV 6 on Computer A
- Installed SageTV Client on Computer B
- Installed SageTV Placeshifter on Computer B
- Attempted to forward port in the Belkin Router Setup to 31099 TCP to the IP Address on Computer A. I have never forwarded a port so I am not sure if I did it right. In the Belkin router setup, I went to Virtual Servers under the Firewall heading and typed 31099 twice in the inbound port column, then TCP, then Computer A's IP Address, then 31099 twice in the Private port column, then applied changes.
- When I test the Placeshifter connection in the setup wizard on Computer A, it says found locater ID, but cannot connect. Make sure the port is forwarded yada yada.
- Regardless, I tried to connect through Computer B's Placeshifter and when connecting through the local network, it goes through, but then when I disable the network connection and connect to the internet through a separate dialup modem (simulating a computer away from home), it says the error message that it cannot connect to the server.

Can someone please help? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Try forwarding port 31099 for UDP as well as TCP. That's the way I have mine set up anyway.

Also make sure your Sage server (Computer A) has a static LAN IP. If it gets its IP by DHCP, the forwarding will stop working when the IP changes.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Sage User

Hi, I feel like I've tried many things and nothing works. I used the upnp option and with everything I do, it gives me the error, The locator server connected to the IP address registered for this locator id, but could not access the placeshifter server's port. What does it mean that it could not access the placeshifter server's port? This is what I am doing:
- I am setting up the placeshifter configuration on sagetv server. Do I need to run the placeshifter software on the server pc as well?
- When I test the placeshifter connection, it gives me the error above.
- On the remote pc, it shows that it sees the IP address for the sagetv server, but won't connect.
- Using upnp, do I need to port forward 31099 on the server's pc as well? I tried both methods anyway.
This is very frustrating that they are selling a product with no phone support. Are there any sagetv gurus that are willing to give me a contact number and help walk me through this?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
SageTVaholic

If it can't access the server's port, that's a sign that either you don't have port forwarding set up properly, or else Windows Firewall on the server is blocking that port. Since the SageTV installer configures Windows Firewall, I'm guessing the problem is with the port forwarding.

I'm not familiar with your specific router model, but if you post screenshots of its port forwarding page, maybe somebody can spot what you're doing wrong.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Sage User

Attached is a screen shot of how I port forwarded with my Belkin Pre-N Router. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SageTV Port Forward Screen.JPG (163.3 KB, 388 views)
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Sage User

When it says placeshifter server's port, is it referring to the port on my sagetv server pc?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Sage User

Sorry, just trying to think of new things to better help myself.

When I go on shoememyip.com, it shows my ip as something completely different than what home ip address. Is this normal? Sorry, I am not too knowledgeable in networking.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by beard6 View Post
Sorry, just trying to think of new things to better help myself.

When I go on shoememyip.com, it shows my ip as something completely different than what home ip address. Is this normal? Sorry, I am not too knowledgeable in networking.
Yes, that is normal; the router acts as divider between the local network (the LAN) and the Internet. Looking at your screenshot, you appear to have the Belkin router set up correctly (unfortunately ;it would be easier if it was an obvious issue).

As GKusnick said, if it's not the physical firewall, it could be your Software firewall. As a test, you could try disabling the software firewall to see if the locator wizard can now see the ports. Of course, you don't want to run like that all the time, so you'll have to configure your software firewall correctly, but this is a test.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Sage User

Ok, I tried bypassing the router and hooking my server pc straight to the modem. I forwarded the port in my ISP set up and it worked. This tells me it's something not working correctly in the router set up. When I hooked the router back up, it didn't work anymore. I even disabled the windows firewall and it still didn't work. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Ok, I tried bypassing the router and hooking my server pc straight to the modem. I forwarded the port in my ISP set up and it worked. This tells me it's something not working correctly in the router set up. When I hooked the router back up, it didn't work anymore. I even disabled the windows firewall and it still didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Are you sure that the server ip is 192.168.2.3 (as show in your picture)? That's the only thing I can think of, other than the possibility that the Belkin router may not be able to correctly forward ports.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Sage User

Ok, so I decided to buy a new router (D-Link N) just to see if it would work and it still does not. I have forwarded the port correctly with the Belkin router and the D-Link router and neither work. Again, I am able to use a placeshifter client from a remote location when I am just connected to my modem, but not with a router. I just don't understand why a router is prohibiting my use of placeshifter.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm using a D-link dgl 4300, the settings should be similar. Here's what works for me. On Advance settings, under "Gaming" I added a couple of entries for my server:

One for TCP port 31099 and another for TCP port 8018, both forward to my server (static IP set in the DHCP reservation list). I didn't add any entry for UDP ports.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM

Possible modem and router isssue

I am using a linksys wrt310 router with Actiontek modem provided by verizon. If you are using a modem/router configuration you need to set the modem to bridge mode and set the router to PPPE. In my case the Actiontek turned out to be a router also and without realizing I had two routers daisy chained together. With two daisy chained routers it is impossble to implement port forwarding. However, my signal in was via cable. I ended up getting an ethernet plug installed and eliminating one of the routers. I know the verizon router was properly configured for port forwarding...... When you are using a modem with router the modem must be configured in bridge mode and router set to PPPE in order to work. Note: I thought my verizon modem was configured as a modem. To my surprise the device is a router. If you daisy chain two routers together you will never get port forwarding to work. In my case I had to install an ethernet port directly from the ONT and connect directly to the linksys router. So in summary if you truely have a modem and are connecting to internet via cable then configure the modem to bridge and set router to PPPE. If you have two routers daisychained then get rid of one of them. Most ISP providers will give you a router with cable connectivity.... in that case get an Ethernet plug installed and bypass one of the routers...... You will be good to go....

Last edited by Yurij23; 05-27-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe the modem is a router also. See prior post...... Originally verizon told me they installed a modem.... in fact it was a router/modem...... Port forwarding will not work with two Daisy chained routers......