SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Sage User

Limit user access

How can I limit user access to shares on my server? I'm running SageTV service on WHS. I would like to let my family and friends use placeshifter to access only the folders I specify. Is this possible?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Shares are setup thru the WHS Console. Under Shared Folders pick one of the shares and then click Properties in the header menu. Click on the USer Access tab. Set the User account you want to change to read. Make sure all other shares that are exposed on your WHS their User Account access is set to none. All administration should be done thru the WHS console.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Sage User

When I setup placeshifter I did not set the placeshifter account the same as an existing user. Was that not correct? I just used a random username and password.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Depends what you're looking for. It's right as far as getting Placeshifter to function. But if you're looking to control who sees what then you need to rely on the OS and permissions. And that relies on what user account you are using on the Windows PC you're running Placeshifter on. But Placeshifter also relies on the service on the server so I'm not sure which has more control over the files Placeshifter can see.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Depends what you're looking for. It's right as far as getting Placeshifter to function. But if you're looking to control who sees what then you need to rely on the OS and permissions. And that relies on what user account you are using on the Windows PC you're running Placeshifter on. But Placeshifter also relies on the service on the server so I'm not sure which has more control over the files Placeshifter can see.
I set placeshifter up at my neighbor's house using the account I created for him in the server. His computer is not on my local network and therefore his OS username and password are irrelevant. Even though he logged onto placeshifter with the username and password I specified (which has limited access to shares) he was able to access all the shares on my server. What the heck is going on? Is it not possible to limit user access with placeshifter?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter user names have nothing to do with Windows logon accounts or share permissions. All SageTV import directories are accessed by Placeshifter using whatever Windows credentials the SageTV service is running under.

There's no mechanism in the stock SageTV UI to restrict access to selected import directories by specific Placeshifter users. You'd need a custom UI mod to accomplish that. Maybe SageMC has such a feature; you'd have to ask in the SageMC subforum.

Note that you could be skirting the edge of the law here. Sharing out home movies and snapshots to family and friends is one thing; redistributing recorded TV shows, DVD rips, and other copyrighted material over the Internet is another.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Placeshifter user names have nothing to do with Windows logon accounts or share permissions. All SageTV import directories are accessed by Placeshifter using whatever Windows credentials the SageTV service is running under.

There's no mechanism in the stock SageTV UI to restrict access to selected import directories by specific Placeshifter users. You'd need a custom UI mod to accomplish that. Maybe SageMC has such a feature; you'd have to ask in the SageMC subforum.

Note that you could be skirting the edge of the law here. Sharing out home movies and snapshots to family and friends is one thing; redistributing recorded TV shows, DVD rips, and other copyrighted material over the Internet is another.
I would really appreciate your help on this. The legal aspect would be another good reason to get this functionality.