SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Beyond TV now has User Access Control

I was just over at the Beyond TV site (I like to see where the competiton's at every once in a while) and noticed that they have introduced user access control. This is something that I (and a few others) have been wanting in Sage for a while now. Admittedly, the Beyond TV implementation of access control is pretty basic but at least they've made a stab at it. Were Sage to implement access control I'd like to see additional features like:

1) Track Watched Status by user
2) Link favourites to users (eg. if a favourite has multiple users linked to it then the episode does not get deleted until all users delete the episode. When a user deletes an episode it merely removes the episode from that user's list of shows)
3) Channel access by user. Users can be linked to a subset of the available channels. Useful for restricting kids to only those channels suitable for them
4) Other features that I can't remember right now.

So now that Beyond TV has added a security model to their software here's hoping that we can expect Sage to follow suit (and hopefully exceed the capabilities of the Beyond TV implementation).

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Jacobs View Post
I was just over at the Beyond TV site (I like to see where the competiton's at every once in a while) and noticed that they have introduced user access control. This is something that I (and a few others) have been wanting in Sage for a while now. Admittedly, the Beyond TV implementation of access control is pretty basic but at least they've made a stab at it. Were Sage to implement access control I'd like to see additional features like:

2) Link favourites to users (eg. if a favourite has multiple users linked to it then the episode does not get deleted until all users delete the episode. When a user deletes an episode it merely removes the episode from that user's list of shows)
3) Channel access by user. Users can be linked to a subset of the available channels. Useful for restricting kids to only those channels suitable for them

So now that Beyond TV has added a security model to their software here's hoping that we can expect Sage to follow suit (and hopefully exceed the capabilities of the Beyond TV implementation).

Cheers
Lester
I believe that the current implementation of user accounts in BTV already does 1-3 - it may just not be exposed in the current release.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Sage User

Quote:
This would be very, very, very cool. Especially 1 & 2. I'd love to never again have to hear how it takes my wife too long to scroll through all my "crappy" shows.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
This would be very, very, very cool. Especially 1 & 2. I'd love to never again have to hear how it takes my wife too long to scroll through all my "crappy" shows.
I singin' this too my brother!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

While I have no interest in this, I can definately see this as a plus for all of you family friendly types. Maybe now that the "competition" has it, maybe Sage will too.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Sage Icon

Just another voice to the cause of UAC!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

It would be great !!! Please, please, please.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

At this point, this would be my number one request.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Sage User

I'd like user access controls on Folders so all my movies can be segregated into kids and non kids stuff, my son is 3 and a bit and is learning how to operate Sage but I don't want him to accidentally put Blade or Clerks on
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ging View Post
I'd like user access controls on Folders so all my movies can be segregated into kids and non kids stuff, my son is 3 and a bit and is learning how to operate Sage but I don't want him to accidentally put Blade or Clerks on
At least this part can be accomplished within Sage by using the Parental Controls (unless your 3 year old knows how to enter passwords
Old 04-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

This is a great idea.. love it.

I would set up a "guest" profile for everyone but me
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Sage User

If anyone counts, I have wanted this for some time as well. Parental control isn't nearly enough since I have different parental guidelines for my 6 year old than my 16 year old!

Just to echo my dream features would be:

-Tracking recording (favorites and manual) by the user that added them.
-Allowing users to subscribe to an added favorite or manual recording.
-Tracking which users have watched a show so I know it's safe to delete.
-I'd like to be able to assign a profile to a user. So have an STV that they saw no matter where they log on (a PC, Placeshifter or extender).
-Parental restrictions assigned by user.
-Ability to set a show or favorite as watchable by a user regardless of restrictions.
-Ability to set restrictions on when a user can watch TV, or at least log how much TV they watch.
-Ability to restrict/control on line content by user
Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Sage Expert

This would be a great feature!
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Old 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Sage Expert

I completely agree with above and think that this should be a priority for sage for the future to make it more user friendly for more non tech users. I imagine it should work somewhat similar to windows sign up screen. I have a list of names/icons of users (kids, mom, dad, guest) and user would select first the profile, enter optional password and beyond that everything (import folders, ability to play certain movies, certain music, online sources) would be limited to what is allow to that profile.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkOLounger View Post
-Tracking recording (favorites and manual) by the user that added them.
-Allowing users to subscribe to an added favorite or manual recording.
-Tracking which users have watched a show so I know it's safe to delete.
-I'd like to be able to assign a profile to a user. So have an STV that they saw no matter where they log on (a PC, Placeshifter or extender).
-Parental restrictions assigned by user.
-Ability to set a show or favorite as watchable by a user regardless of restrictions.
-Ability to set restrictions on when a user can watch TV, or at least log how much TV they watch.
-Ability to restrict/control on line content by user
If you add in the ability to restrict videos and music (individually, by rating, and possibly by genre) it's pretty darn close to perfect.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
I completely agree with above and think that this should be a priority for sage for the future to make it more user friendly for more non tech users.
If a user has to deal with user profiles and passwords and all that it's too complicated for a non-tech user. Look at how many people turn off their login screens for windows.

Plus- the more security you add, the more it gets away from being a set-top box which is what Sage does really well!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1234 View Post
If a user has to deal with user profiles and passwords and all that it's too complicated for a non-tech user. Look at how many people turn off their login screens for windows.

Plus- the more security you add, the more it gets away from being a set-top box which is what Sage does really well!
Sage could always provide the ability to turn off this functionality. However, especially for those of us with multi-member families, the option to have user access control is quite valuable.

As for the "its too complicated" argument, my 3.5 yr old can turn on the computer, click on his user name and type in his password. His home page on IE then takes him to a list of kid friendly websites. If a 3 yr old can do that then it's not too much of a stretch to expect the general population to be able to handle UAC in Sage.

Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 04-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Sage could always provide the ability to turn off this functionality. However, especially for those of us with multi-member families, the option to have user access control is quite valuable.
Lester
A couple of extra screens in the setup proceedure would do it. One asking if you want to use UAC, if you click no (like I would) then Sage works as it does now. Otherwise you get routed to a screen to set up the user accounts. Should be pretty straight forward from that end.

As this thread shows this request comes up way too often and is too popular for Sage to ignore, but I'm not a programmer and even I can tell this will be no small feat to implement. I would imagine it will probably be the central feature of Sage 7.0 however.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

My family and I would love these features (especially #3).
I don't even want the choice of seeing some of the channels my wife watches and vice versa.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

This would be wonderful.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit