SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Sage User

Juggling multiple servers and Placeshifter ports

I've been trying to hunt down a solution to this problem but keep seeming to run into roadblocks. Here is a brief overview of the situation:

My roommate and I both have SageTV servers in the house and we both have Placeshifter licenses to use with them from abroad. We've got all the machines in the house networked together on the same router (Netgear WNR834B).

I am trying to setup two separate "instances" of Placeshifter on our router - one for his server using the default 31099 port and one for mine using a separate port (I've chosen 32555). We seem to have conflicts if we both happen to use PS at the same time, where one of us is unable to login if the other connected.

In my most recent attempts to do this, I have elected to go the route of "Advanced UPnP Configuration with Port Selection," choosing to manually enter my external port 32555. I select the router as the UPnP device, confirm the selection by clicking OK, then test the connection (which is successful).

After running through the configuration and test, I completely shutdown Sage and open the sage.properties file. I edit the line below to include the new port, as follows: extender_and_placeshifter_server_port=32555.

Regardless of this change, with the steps I follow above, I am still unable to affect the internal port for the SageTV server, as described in the manual at the end of chapter 7. You can see below in this screenshot that the router is still using 31099 as the internal port for both my server and my roommate's server.

When this is the case, I can login to my Sage server remotely over WAN using the dynDNS:31099, but not with the Locator ID.

Within the Netgear router admin, I do not seem to be able to forward from an external port to an internal port. Our router seems to only be able to open a port (or a range of ports) and forward traffic to a specific IP.

At this point, I am not certain how to proceed. I am wondering if there are any best practices out there for multiple Sage households that utilize Placeshifter, as well. Any advice on things to try next would be a great help.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

You should not need to change the extender_and_placeshifter_server_port. That changes the local network port number and, as mentioned in the SageTV manual, changing the internal port number will prevent any extenders from connecting.

Just change the external port number for 1 server. This should work just fine -- I have 2 servers and don't have a problem connecting with Placeshifter using the addressort method or the Locator ID. After setting it up, give SageTV 15-30 minutes to make sure it has updated its Locator ID with the SageTV's locator ID server... and double check that the firewall is open for it to talk to that server & be able to register the ID.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
After setting it up, give SageTV 15-30 minutes to make sure it has updated its Locator ID with the SageTV's locator ID server... and double check that the firewall is open for it to talk to that server & be able to register the ID.
Andy, thanks for the swift response! I wasn't aware of the timing needed to sync the Locator IDs with the server. I'll try this approach for now and keep my fingers crossed.