SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Sage User

Other software for Hauppauge remote

Hey, got a quick question. I am having nothing but trouble with the Hauppauge remote and SageTV. When they system starts, the remote works perfect, but within a hour it always degrades to the point where it barely works. I first set up irremote.ini to use keystrokes, but then after a hour only the arrow buttons and the ok/back button would work. It seemed that even though SageTV was fullscreen and the only app running, it would lose focus. I then switched the irremote.ini to use SendMessage to control SageTV. Now after about an hour the remote doesn't recognize anything being pressed, then after a second it acts like 10 different buttons were pressed at the same time. I'm at my wits end on this. I would like to know if any other IR software works with the Hauppauge IR setup, like WinLirc. If not then I guess I can buy another IR reciever. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Sage Expert

I'll try to save you some heartache. Does the video play perfectly? I suspect not. Did you reformat the disk with 64k clusters before using it for SageTV recordings? That's where I would start.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedml View Post
I'll try to save you some heartache. Does the video play perfectly? I suspect not. Did you reformat the disk with 64k clusters before using it for SageTV recordings? That's where I would start.
I've never had any issues with video playback, and the drive was empty and I selected the 64k cluster option during the install. I will check it again just to make sure. The video playback has been pretty awesome so far
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

What is your current setup. HD100, HD200, MVP, client? What type of TV are you using. I was having a similar problem and it turned out to be interference with my TV ir. I have a samsung LCD and was getting ir radiation that was interfering. I but my HD100 behind glass and now everything is great. I am not saying this is your issue, just what fixed mine.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

baneck,

I am having sim problems with the haup remote. Please pst your specs for comparison.

My problems started when i added a second QAM tuner (1250). PQ is fine, I can record 3 channels simultaniuosly -1 analog & 2 QAM.

The problem is as yours: after a few hours or so, the remote ceases to function. I must manually grab the keyboard, exit full screen and restart SAGE. Sometimes rstop/restart irremote.exe. I had to swap the plug-in for the IR receiver into the new tuner (1250). In correspondence with Hauppage tech support, i asked if there was a way, registry setting or etc, to tie the IR receiver to a specific tuner in a multi-tuner system. They responded not only "No", but also they have "no plans of adding this functionality at all to their drivers". <sarcasm>Yep, nice customer service, btw, Hauppage </sarcasm>. Pitiful.

Anyways, I have tried falling back to an old irremote.ini and dll. That totally failed horrendously. Do not use Opus's old fix for keystrokes from those posts a few yrs back for use in 6.5 and up - search forums . That took a total of Sage re-install and a trip into safe mode to delete driver cache. oy vey.

So I feel your pain man. If anyone figures this out. Please post.

My system;

Gigabyte XXXX - mini ATX (forget)
4Gb RAM
E6600
ATI 2400 Pro
(1) HVR 1600
(1) HVR 1250

One more thing, I had nothing but problems with tuning in the program guide. It happened after I installed a beta 6.5.x (cant remember which). For QAM, one tuner worked fine, the other would just not keep the manual mapping of the station id. I had to make matching FRQ files for both tuners to get the channel guide working again. It was a major PITA. Not a lot of documentation out there on how those work, can someone make an easy FAQ on these?

thanks,

-Cab
Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Sage User

I have pretty much the same problems as you do Cabalsan. But for me, the tuners and Sage software are working fine, as long as I have a keyboard around. Here are my specs:

E5200 2.5 Wolfdale
Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DSH2 w/ GeForce 9400
4GB Corsair ram
Samsung HD DLP HL-S5086W
HDHomeRun
HVR-1250 with Remote
XP w/ SP 3

I notice that the thing we have in common is the 1250. But, this is the second remote I've tested with the system (I had an Antec remote that I replaced). I wonder if lotusvball is right about the interference. How do I test for that?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe there's something with the 1250 causing this... Hauppage will not let you select which tuner to use, so no way to isolate it to a model. I had tried to force the IR back to the 1600 to test. Emailed Hauppage, and here's their "response"...

>Hello
>
> Our ir software will lock onto the first board it finds there is no way >to force the ir to a specific board.
>
>
>Jared Egan
>
>Technical Support
>Hauppauge Computer Works
>New York Headquarters
>http://www.hauppauge.com

Regarding the interference, that's doubtful, at least in my case. I've had Sage for yrs now on same tv with a 150, 1600 & 1250. The problem only materialized after the installation of the second QAM card (1250).

-Cab
Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
I would like to know if any other IR software works with the Hauppauge IR setup
You could try mine (see signature), but I doubt it will resolve the issue.

After all I use the Hauppauge API, so if it's a hardware issue, or a Hauppauge driver problem, it will behave in the exact same way...

The only advantage is that if you see the same behavior, you'll know that this is a hardware / driver problem => in my software there is a live trace viewer, if you don't see anything in it when using the remote, it means that my software hasn't received anything from the Hauppauge layer.

I was using a Hauppauge remote a long time ago (with a PVR 150) and it was working really great.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Sage User

Thanks, I'll test it out. I would like to rule out whether or not it is a hardware issue, before I pull all my hair out
Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had a similar issue here about two months ago ( I have 2X HVR-1600, and one HD-PVR). How I fixed it was to run hwclear, doing a full clear, including reg keys, then I installed the drivers for the card I wanted the remote to work from, then installed the Hd-PVR drivers. It has worked like a champ ever since.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm really starting ti think there might be a defect in this card. I'm going to email Hauppage and see if they know of any issues with the 1250 and IR Receiver loosing connection.
FWIW, I did check and tuning off an on Sage as a service had no effect. Still lost IR control. Sometimes during the middle of playback of content, sometimes after a day of being in Sleep it becomes non-responsive. And I'm running the latest drivers (4.6A+ from Oct 2008).

Although the response from last time I emailed Hauppage makes me think I'll never hear from them or they will state no problems exist at all, Crossing fingers

-Cab

EDIT: There's a new Beta driver package CD 4.8A on Hauppages' website under support page for the 1250. The Accessory page still has the IR software drivers dated Jan 2008. I'm not sure if the new Beta CD has a new IR included....

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...t_hvr1250.html

Last edited by Cabalsan; 05-11-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabalsan View Post
I'm really starting ti think there might be a defect in this card. I'm going to email Hauppage and see if they know of any issues with the 1250 and IR Receiver loosing connection.
FWIW, I did check and tuning off an on Sage as a service had no effect. Still lost IR control. Sometimes during the middle of playback of content, sometimes after a day of being in Sleep it becomes non-responsive. And I'm running the latest drivers (4.6A+ from Oct 2008).

Although the response from last time I emailed Hauppage makes me think I'll never hear from them or they will state no problems exist at all, Crossing fingers

-Cab

EDIT: There's a new Beta driver package CD 4.8A on Hauppages' website under support page for the 1250. The Accessory page still has the IR software drivers dated Jan 2008. I'm not sure if the new Beta CD has a new IR included....

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...t_hvr1250.html
Umm, I'll have to check that out. The remote issue is really getting on my wife's nerves, especially since it happens so randomly.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

I went ahead and dl'd new beta drivers package 4.8a and ripped out the IR software.
That package contained IR32 ver is 2.6x, where Hauppage website has older 2.57 vers. Installed. Sage stopped responding to the receiver, so I upped from 6.5.13 to 6.5.15. The IR functionality returned after the upgrade. Seemed to work a-ok. So, now it's a waiting game to see if it goes out again. Usually depends on use, so we shall see.

FWIW, early last week for grinz, I put another IR receiver cable into the 1600 card. So both cards (1250 & 1600) have an IR receiver out the back end, just in case it was jumping cards or something. Whenever I lost function, it didnt matter to have both cards hooked up with receivers, however.

In addition, I sent a tech support request to Hauppage on the 1250 and pasted in this forum link. I am hopeful that we get a better response than the last time...

Other than the intermittent functionality of the IR remote software, the 1600 & 1250 have been a solid combo together in my system for clear QAM & analog - once you setup the frq files in Sage.

-Cab

EDIT. Just to be clear, only the IR software goes out. I have an RF keyboard that works just fine. I use that to get out of Sage and reload the IR software, then go back into Sage. It just stinks to FF with a keyboard when there's a perfectly function 32button remote to use. I'm not a fan of the bigger 45 button remote. I have like 4 of those but use the lil bugger.

Last edited by Cabalsan; 05-11-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Noticed something in prev post...
Old 05-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Sage User

Tried the beta software, still no luck. If you're reading this, I strongly advise against getting the HVR-1250 for the remote. It has been nothing but a headache for me. Time to move on to something else.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

The beta IR driver (2.63) seemed to work for a while longer, but ultimately failed for me also.

It's really annoying to restart the driver and SageTv to get remote control back.

If they could just tell me how to force the IR receiver to a particular card, I could lock on the 1600 and be back in business.

Well I really like the setup I have and now I will need to ditch the 1250 for another 1600. I hate that I have to go back into the arcane QAM channel setup again installing a new tuner card. Not the easiest thing to figure out in Sage, IMO.

Anyway, I agree with Banacek, stay away from the 1250 due to the remote problems. It's ashamed as price and PQ was great on the 1250.

-Cab

Last edited by Cabalsan; 05-16-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabalsan View Post
Anyway, I agree with Banacek, stay away from the 1250 due to the remote problems. It's ashamed as price and PQ was great on the 1250.

-Cab
It's a shame because the 1250 is working great as an analog tuner for my system. The remote issues just make the remote worthless. Well, I did only pay $50 for it, so I have that going for me
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Sage User

Same here, I've got the 2250 with the remote and it really randomly stops working.. It seems to have a schedule or pattern and I plan to map it out ..

I tried everything that I could find on forums.. also used hwclear but problem is still there...

Anybody got a new solution for this? It's driving me nuts...
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Sage Expert

Perhaps a non-optimal solution, but using a USB-UIRT may make life easier
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Perhaps a non-optimal solution, but using a USB-UIRT may make life easier
Yup I thought of that and that's the best solution but unfortunately on my end Mr. Jon Rhees of USB-UIRT has not yet replied to my shipping inquiry, probably busy.. I really want to purchase that device...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Sage Expert

Ahh being out of the US complicates shipping somewhat He usually responds after awhile, I think he gets bombarded with email!