SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

More Control Over Quality?

Concurrent with less pixelation on HD movies, my little Atom-powered laptop has started choking on PlaceShifter renderings. Frequent pauses, occasional loss of autio, 15-20 second waits between clicking a control and something happening, and so-forth.

It's like somebody upped a quality setting somewhere and the Atom processor cannot deal with it.

All I see is Setup|Detailed Setup|Server|Media Extender Conversion Quality - which I changed from High to Standard to no effect.

IIRC, in another thread somebody referred to adjusting PlaceShifter quality via Sage's ini file, but I can't find the post.

Can this be done? Sage is so configurable, that I'm thinking that if I know what do do I can fool around with various qualities until I find one that is a balance between pixelation and what my laptop can render smoothly.

In Sage.Properties I see a bunch of media_server/transcode_quality.... entries.

Could it be as simple as finding the prop that links the desired transcode_quality to the PlaceShifter?

??
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna

Last edited by PeteCress; 05-09-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Sage User

Why not try the most direct route, first?

At the Placeshifter Servers Manager, click the Local Network instance of the server. Then at the bottom left click Settings. Then select the Streaming tab. Select Manually specify the encoding parameters for streaming. Edit until you are happy, I would think focusing on Video Bitrate.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorwes View Post
Why not try the most direct route, first?

At the Placeshifter Servers Manager, click the Local Network instance of the server. Then at the bottom left click Settings. Then select the Streaming tab. Select Manually specify the encoding parameters for streaming. Edit until you are happy, I would think focusing on Video Bitrate.
Selecting "Manually specify..." and going with the defaults helped noticeably.

Then I went to General|Enable Video Post Processing and un-checked the box. Now playback is 100% acceptable. I even kicked the bitrate up to 400 from 300 with no problems (not that I noticed any increase in quality... ).

Seems like the video post processing was a big player - just like the screen says "...if you have performance problems due to high CPU usage."

Thanks.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna

Last edited by PeteCress; 05-10-2009 at 06:05 PM.