SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is the file format for sagetvmsgs.log documented anywhere?
I was interested in decoding the time format. I thought it would be a Unix time stamp, since Java uses that, but it is too big.
HD300 extender with (2020 New Build) SageTV 64 bit V9.2.2.903 (service mode), Running on Windows 10 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, 16G RAM, GIGABYTE Z490 UD motherboard. NVidia GTX1650 Super; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US tuner, Hauppauge "Siena" 1512 HD-PVR2 connected to Cisco Cable modem from Spectrum, tuned with USB-UIRT.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
I was interested in decoding the time format. I thought it would be a Unix time stamp, since Java uses that, but it is too big.
It is a Java time value (long), as used with the java.util.Date class and SageTV time-related API calls.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info, Andy. For anyone who is curious, Java time is a 64-bit integer, and represents milliseconds since 1/1/1970.

http://www.odi.ch/prog/design/datetime.php
HD300 extender with (2020 New Build) SageTV 64 bit V9.2.2.903 (service mode), Running on Windows 10 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, 16G RAM, GIGABYTE Z490 UD motherboard. NVidia GTX1650 Super; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US tuner, Hauppauge "Siena" 1512 HD-PVR2 connected to Cisco Cable modem from Spectrum, tuned with USB-UIRT.

Last edited by timg11; 06-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Sage

An easy way to decode those time strings is using the Studio. Just goto Tools->Expression Evaluator and then enter this if you time is 1234567890 for example:

new_java_util_Date(1*"1234567890")

(the string multiplied by integer is to get around a Long conversion issue)
Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I'm seeing a System Message that doesn't match what's happening at the time.

I wrote a little utility to report any System Message errors on the main LCD display on the computer (since the HDTV is normally off, and SageTV is sleeping in the tray).

Today I found it reporting the message "Failed to load the video capture device Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device" in sagetvmsgs.log. I checked the HD-PVR, and it was in the process of recording a show.

Does this mean that there was a time when it failed to load, but then it loaded successfully, later before the show was supposed to record? I assume the message remains in sagetvmsgs.log until deleted via the SageTV UI?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
Today I found it reporting the message "Failed to load the video capture device Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device" in sagetvmsgs.log. I checked the HD-PVR, and it was in the process of recording a show.

Does this mean that there was a time when it failed to load, but then it loaded successfully, later before the show was supposed to record?
Probably -- was the tuner really recording, or just saying that it was? Check the time on the error. There may have been a problem with the tuner during that recording or another one.

Quote:
I assume the message remains in sagetvmsgs.log until deleted via the SageTV UI?
Yes.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I wrote an application to send an email if a capture error is reported in the Sage System Message log. It is in the Downloads area.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Time format in the sagetvmsgs.log file

Hi.

Would it be possible to get the format of the time code in the sagetvmsgs.log file. I am considering having my Homeseer server read the log and decide if my HDPVR is locked. If it is, it can shutdown SageTV, cycle the power on the HDPVR via a ZWave switch, then restart SageTV.

I hope the HDPVR come on powered up when it AC power is cycled. If it doesn't, at the very least I can make an announcement that it needs fixing

Thanks

Kent

* merged; see above discussion *
Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there a spot where you can see the System Message in the Sage UI?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Is there a spot where you can see the System Message in the Sage UI?
It is under settings.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks - I was trying to find the messages on a client running an older version of Sage that didn't have this functionality yet.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Sage Expert

I can see the icon in the top right of the screen. Is there a button the the remote for the HD200 that will pop that up or do i need to into the help menu and find it that way?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Administrator

You can get to the System Messages menu via Info command on the Main Menu -> System Info -> System Messages, or Main Menu -> Setup -> Help -> System Messages.

- Andy
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Would it be possible to get the format of the time code in the sagetvmsgs.log file. I am considering having my Homeseer server read the log and decide if my HDPVR is locked. If it is, it can shutdown SageTV, cycle the power on the HDPVR via a ZWave switch, then restart SageTV.

I hope the HDPVR come on powered up when it AC power is cycled. If it doesn't, at the very least I can make an announcement that it needs fixing
Have you made progress on recycling the HDPVR on detection of an error?

I can tell you that recycling the power remotely on the HDPVR works just fine. I do it fairly often using a web remote controlled power supply. If only I could do that automagically when SageTV detects an error, I'd be golden.

What I'd like to do:
Detect a tuner error, analyze which tuner it is (I have 2 HDPVRs), then execute a pre-existing bat file that recycles that tuner.

Eric
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Sage Expert

Let me know when you figure that out.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3a View Post
Have you made progress on recycling the HDPVR on detection of an error?

I can tell you that recycling the power remotely on the HDPVR works just fine. I do it fairly often using a web remote controlled power supply. If only I could do that automagically when SageTV detects an error, I'd be golden.

What I'd like to do:
Detect a tuner error, analyze which tuner it is (I have 2 HDPVRs), then execute a pre-existing bat file that recycles that tuner.

Eric
Eric:

Whose PDU are you using for resetting your HD-PVR's? I've used APC, Server Tech, Dualcomm, and Avocent/Cyclades/Alterpath stuff. If there was a way to trap the system error messages I'm guessing some of those PDU's could respond the way you wanted them to without too much problem. Just curious.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm using Post Message, where i'm using my own message id (don't know if that's allowed), but I can't get a user-friendly display show up as the message title. ie,

PostSystemMessage(10005, 3, "My message", null)

but in the SystemMessages, i see,
Quote:
Error -
My Message
If there a way to set the message "label", ie is there an undocumented "variable" that I can put in the properties, so that my message could be something like...

Quote:
Error - Metadata Scan Failed
My Message
Jeff...if you are reading, here are my suggestions (if something doesn't exist)...
1. inside GetSystemMessageTypeName, if it returns a null, then have it look in the "variables" for a variable called "messagelabel"
2. If GetSystemMessageTypeName() returns null, then use the first n characters of the message itself as the message label
3. Provide a way for plugin developers to register their own message codes (reserve so many for sagetv, ie, 0-9999) and then allow developers to allocate their own chunks above that. Developers would need some way to map their codes to a valid message label.

thanks,
Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I'm using Post Message, where i'm using my own message id (don't know if that's allowed), but I can't get a user-friendly display show up as the message title. ie,

PostSystemMessage(10005, 3, "My message", null)

but in the SystemMessages, i see,

If there a way to set the message "label", ie is there an undocumented "variable" that I can put in the properties, so that my message could be something like...

Jeff...if you are reading, here are my suggestions (if something doesn't exist)...
1. inside GetSystemMessageTypeName, if it returns a null, then have it look in the "variables" for a variable called "messagelabel"
2. If GetSystemMessageTypeName() returns null, then use the first n characters of the message itself as the message label
3. Provide a way for plugin developers to register their own message codes (reserve so many for sagetv, ie, 0-9999) and then allow developers to allocate their own chunks above that. Developers would need some way to map their codes to a valid message label.

thanks,
OK, for the next version you'll be able to set a 'typename' MessageVariable which will be used for the displayed type name if the message code doesn't have a predefined name for it.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
OK, for the next version you'll be able to set a 'typename' MessageVariable which will be used for the displayed type name if the message code doesn't have a predefined name for it.
Less than one business day to get a user-requested feature into a product. That must be a record

I think I'll post a link to this message in the "It seems quiet in the beta department" thread....

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Thanks Jeff. if the variable is going to be called "typename" then I'll futureproof my code by setting it now