SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Sage User

HDHomeRun question

I've searched and googled and can't seem to get the low down on a couple of aspects of this device.

- I assume this tuner unit is doing the hardware encoding prior to sending out LAN packets (this is good as the server CPU is off loaded from having to ecnode)

- What exactly is it sending the Sage server ? Meaning the packets are assembled into a file of some format ?

Somewhat unrelated --- but if I use a HD200 then is will act as the hardware decoder as it receives media packets (?) from the server - they are decoded for playback.

So if all this is correct the HDHomeRun is the encoder - the HD200 is the decoder and all the SageTV server does is serve files.

Again thanks for helping me get this sorted out in my head !
Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 AM
SageTVaholic

The HDHomeRun does not do any encoding. The data is encoded at the source (either the broadcaster, or the cable company). All the HDHomeRun does is tune the signal in, and send the encoded (MPEG-2 Transport Stream) data over ethernet to your sage server, which records it to harddrive.

And yes, the HD200 does it's own decoding. The file is served up by the Sage Server, and played back by the HD200.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room