SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Sage User

Which Drive to Install Sagetv Program on

My computer needs the "c" drive reformatted so I'm thinking of changing the location of the operating program for Sagetv. Right now I have the operating program files for Sagetv as well as its recordings all on secondary physical drive formatted the way sage recordings like them (my E-drive).

A buddy of mine said I should have the operating program of Sagetv on my regular "C-drive" and still let it only record my programs on my sage-friendly formatted separate "E-drive." He said this would be better for making back-ups of all of my important programs on the computer since they would be together on the c-drive.

Is it better to have sage's operating software on the "C-drive" while letting it record to a separate "E-drive" or should I put all of Sagetv on the "E-drive" again and just back up that drive too?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Your e drive is formatted with 64k blocks so there is no advantage for the SageTV program to be there. Most users, including myself, usally end up with the SageTV program in the default locationm (C:\Program Files) and storing the recordings on a physically seperate drive. I would recommend treating your e drive as simply a storage drive for your recordings. (Other media files can also exist there.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Personally, I have my OS and programs on one HD and all my other sage storage on aditional drives. My feeling is that the program files don't change (much) and can be on the small, slow PATA drive. I also have the OS drive on the same chain as my CD drive so the bus speed could potentially be throttled by the optical drive.

The movie files are large and if I upgrade/replace the drives I won't have to spend several hours reinstalling the software. Conversely, if the OS drive dies, I won't lose the recorded shows-they can always be imported into sage as movie imports if all else fails.

My incremental daily backups are around 64-100MB for my OS drive. My recording drives have between 2 and 4 shows a day recorded/deleted from them so their backups will take significantly longer to perform.

My 40GB primary drive is formatted with two partitions-the "C" part and a "Backup" partition with a clean image of the OS and the sage installs/updates on it.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use pretty much the same setup:

1-150 G PATA (I had it so I used it) partitioned as;
C: 40 G for OS (XP-PRO), MainLobby and Homeseer
I: 110 G for misc. programs, files
4-500G SATA (64k blocks) for SageTV recordings (temporary)
1-1TB SATA & 1-1TB ESATA (external) RAID for archival storage

I was thinking of splitting the 4 500G drives into 8 250G partitions, but that's Probably over kill!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Sage User

Thanks

Makes sense, now is the time to separate them.... Thanks...

Tags
drive to install, installation of sagetv, where to put sagetv