SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Sage User

Confusion over SageTV vs. SageMC

I hope this doesn't bring down an assault for posting what could be a completely dumb question; but I'm not fully understanding the difference between SageTV and SageMC or how I get SageMC if I have SageTV or vice/versa.

I'm using SageTV to record my tv shows and that's going well, plus I'm using the Media Center to play back all of my movies I've got stored on a couple 1TB drives. I also use Media Center to play music from time to time.

What got me wondering about this is that I was looking into how to incorporate the streaming Netflix thru my system via Sage and noticed that a couple plug ins are available for SageMC. So; how do I get SageMC or enable it or what's the difference?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

The confusion is very common and unfortunate. It certainly isn't a bad question as it gets asked fairly often for good reason.

SageTV is the software you purchase that is the core HTPC program.

Installed with SageTV is a core User Interface called the "default STV" (STV being basically a UI)

Then you can install replacement User Interface's to replace the default STV - this is where SageMC comes in. It's the most popular replacement UI for SageTV.

Read more for a hopefully more complete explanation of SageMC here
Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Further references include this FAQ: Is there some sort of reference for the various acronyms and terms used around here?

As part of that discussion is a link to a sticky in the General forum with this post about SageTV vs. SageMC.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Sage Expert

Ah, yes, Grasshopper. Let me enlighten you...

In the beginning there was SageTV, which is the program you buy from Sage to record shows and watch them on your PC, and it was good.

Then there was Windows Media Center. And it was not as good.

Then came SageMC, a complete replacement user interface. You use this instead of the standard SageTV-3.xml interface to which you can add a bunch of stuff that is already built-in to SageMC. And it was good.

Then SageTV was renamed SageTV Media Center, just to add another tablespoon of confusion... Can you say Tower of Babel?

So you buy SageTV Media Center. Get it working really well. Then, either add things one by one to the standard User Interface, or install the SageMC User Interface.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Sage Icon

can the server be Sage TV without regard to MC as a windows service, and the Sage client on a PC be Sage MC? If so, how?

Next, can an MVP off that same server be told to use the UI of Sage MC? How?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
can the server be Sage TV without regard to MC as a windows service, and the Sage client on a PC be Sage MC? If so, how?

Next, can an MVP off that same server be told to use the UI of Sage MC? How?
Yes everyclient/extender acts as it's own xml file. So you would just need to import Sagemc on the units you would want to use it on.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Sage Icon

I thought the Sage Server as a Windows Service could support, simultaneously, a non-MC MVP and an PC client using the MC user interface. Or Vice-versa. The Installation instructions for a PC SageMC client say otherwise, or are ambiguously written and imply such.

I'll go pore over documents to learn how to run SageMC on a PC client leaving the server untouched (6.4 server).
Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I thought the Sage Server as a Windows Service could support, simultaneously, a non-MC MVP and an PC client using the MC user interface. Or Vice-versa. The Installation instructions for a PC SageMC client say otherwise, or are ambiguously written and imply such.

I'll go pore over documents to learn how to run SageMC on a PC client leaving the server untouched (6.4 server).
On the PC Client, the SageMC package is installed on the Client itself and then loaded as a replacement UI for the Client through setup > detailed settings > advanced.

For the extenders, the SageMC software must be installed on the server but doesn't have to be loaded on the server as a replacement UI. SageMC just has to be unzipped on the server to the appropriate folders so that the extender has a place from which to load the SageMC UI. The server can continue to run the default UI and SageMC can be loaded on the extender (from the server) through setup > detailed settings > advanced.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 07-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
On the PC Client, the SageMC package is installed on the Client itself and then loaded as a replacement UI for the Client through setup > detailed settings > advanced.

For the extenders, the SageMC software must be installed on the server but doesn't have to be loaded on the server as a replacement UI. SageMC just has to be unzipped on the server to the appropriate folders so that the extender has a place from which to load the SageMC UI. The server can continue to run the default UI and SageMC can be loaded on the extender (from the server) through setup > detailed settings > advanced.
That's what I want to do. So I don't have to reinvent / rediscover, are there instructions on how to do these? I want to leave the server untouched at 6.4 and see if we like the UI of MC on a PC client, then try it on the std def MVP. Often, the latter has intractable problems with small fonts on std def TV - as if the developers of the UI see it looks fine on a PC but don't consider how it looks on an MVP when viewed across the room by people with old eyes.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Sage Icon

I don't use the MC UI, but I have installed it before and it was pretty simple. Just install on your client PC.

Each of the import packages have instructions included with them.

Zip up your SageTV folder before you install to be on the safe side.

If you run into trouble, ask for help in the MC Customizations thread. Lots of people use the MC UI and will be able to answer your questions.

Here's where to get SageMC: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=141
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 07-12-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
SageTVaholic

The date listed is the original post date. Grab the full installation package and then add the latest pre-release (v46) from the sticky at the top of the SageMC forum.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Sage Icon

OK. I'm running SageMC in a client PC.

1. The font size used to list the shows recorded for a particular series - is too large. Cut-off on the bottom. I think this is a change I made long ago to the client properties file. The SageMC user settings don't affect that. What is the name of the item in the property file for the size of this font?

2. Is there a way to turn off the left menu for the recordings listings? No need to change the sorting order. OK to just use the default from the properties file. Can change width/font size of the left menu, but can't just disable it. Need the screen real estate for 4:3, and to use large font for old eyes. This is a WAF show-stopper. Big fonts.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
OK. I'm running SageMC in a client PC.

1. The font size used to list the shows recorded for a particular series - is too large. Cut-off on the bottom. I think this is a change I made long ago to the client properties file. The SageMC user settings don't affect that. What is the name of the item in the property file for the size of this font?

2. Is there a way to turn off the left menu for the recordings listings? No need to change the sorting order. OK to just use the default from the properties file. Can change width/font size of the left menu, but can't just disable it. Need the screen real estate for 4:3, and to use large font for old eyes. This is a WAF show-stopper. Big fonts.
Now that you have Sage MC loaded, you should pose these questions in the Sage MC Customizations thread. You'll get help there from those who use MC on a daily basis.

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...splay.php?f=41

Tags
sagemc sagetv netflix