SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool umm...what happened here?

I noticed something very weird tonight while playing back my HD recording of So You Think You Can Dance on Fox. It was a 2 hour recording (as opposed to two 1 hour shows) in the guide. About 1 hour and 8 minutes into playback (according to the playback clock/meter), the show suddenly jumped ahead several minutes. I hit rewind but I could not find the missing segments. I continued to watch the show and it ended, according to the playback clock at exactly 2 hours. I'm now left scratching my head wondering where the time "disappeared" to.

I went to the SageTV folder and found that instead of there being one 12GB or so file for the 2 hours, there were two 6GB files. The first file name ended in -0.mpg and the second -1.mpg. When I look a the file name in SageTV, it never shows it as -1.mpg. It only lists the show as -0.mpg, but during playback it clearly played both files. Weird.

I then try and playback the file in Windows Media Player. The first file plays back OK, but when I try to search towards the end of the file, it never plays back. Weird. According to WMP, the first clip is 59 minutes long and the second is 56 minutes long. OK...so I'm clearly missing 5 minutes or so of the show.

So now, coming back full circle: If the first episode is only 59 minutes long, why did it not skip until 1 hour and 8 minutes into playback? Also, if both shows combined for 115 minutes, why does the playback bar in SageTV show the recording as a perfect 2 hours (120 minutes).

I do have comskip running, but as far as I know, it doesnt manipulate the files, it just flags the commercials. In this case they were not all flagged correctly.

I'm confused
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
I went to the SageTV folder and found that instead of there being one 12GB or so file for the 2 hours, there were two 6GB files. The first file name ended in -0.mpg and the second -1.mpg. When I look a the file name in SageTV, it never shows it as -1.mpg. It only lists the show as -0.mpg, but during playback it clearly played both files. Weird.
Something happened during the recording of the show. The 5 minutes has been lost, You have part 0 and part 1 of the file. The hyphen is just a seperator, not negative numbers. If you look at the time line you should see a small red area in the middle of the green which indicates a missing part. What caused the problem could be serveral reasons which you may not be able to determine. Since it only occurred once and was only 5 minutes. Sage probably got some indication that a encoder halt occurred. Sage checks every 5 minutes for that type of issue and trys to continue the recording. This would account for what you see. If you have debug logging enabled then you can contact Sage support and they may be able to see something useful, otherwise I would just ignore it as a one time event. I have also seen this type of issue if the station is knocked off the air (loss of signal) for a minute or two. Since this post is not in the beta forum, I doubt if you are using the beta version. The beta version of sage has a new system messages that may provide more information about the type of issue.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

There is no red indicating the file is missing data. Ive seen that before when I have the first 5 minutes missing problem.

Ill chalk this up as a one time glitch. Its just weird that Sage sees the combined files as 2 hours exactly even though its not...
Old 07-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Sage Icon

I believe Sage uses the Guide data to express the length of the show, not the actual media file length. If you add padding, the file length will be longer, but the show length still shows the guide length.