SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Sage User

HD200 Standalone Mode Firmware upgrade Fail - Need clearer directions please

I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware and it hung for over 30 minutes on erasing.

So I unplugged and tried the reset procedure my unplugging and replugging and holding down "Delete" (The button with the circled x icon). It blinks at least twice but slowly, then stays solid red.

No Luck. I've also waited for over 10 minutes. and tried pushing the "Video Out" Button.

I have an HDMI cable and a composit cable plugged in and am checking both sources on my TV as well.

So I tried the USB method, with no luck. The directions are not at all clear.

I downloaded the files stp200.bin and stp200.ver to the root directory of an 8GB flash drive. Does The capacity matter? There are also other personal files on it, hope that doesn't matter either.

I then plugged in the USB port, which port should I use? Tried both no luck.

So do I just let try to "boot" by itself? My box is bricked so there is no output on the screen to navigate to any menus.

I'm getting frustrated and don't want to open up a ticket just yet. I read the few posts on this issue without too much insight.

Can someone give a clear step by step on how to reset a bricked box and include timings and how long I should wait between steps or even if a blink should be a long blink or short blink. I think it would help a lot of users
Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Sage Icon

If you have a SageTV server do the following:
Put the stp200.bin file in the program files\sagetv\sagetv folder on your Sage server
SageTV should be running on the Sage server
Unplug the power from the HD200
After a few seconds plug the power back in while holding down the BACK button
Hold down the BACK button until the lights on the HD200 start to flash
After the lights begin flashing let go of the Back button
The lights will flash with some pauses for about 45min to maybe an hour
The HD200 will reboot on it's own when the update is done

When mine bricked it took almost an hour to come back up and has been fine since (months).

Good Luck - Be Patient with the process.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 07-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the quick reply, I do not have a sage server, running strictly in standalone. If it has never been in extender mode, can I install sagetv server on a pc and revive the HD200?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt55du View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, I do not have a sage server, running strictly in standalone. If it has never been in extender mode, can I install sagetv server on a pc and revive the HD200?
When it's "bricked" you can't use the standard methods because you can't get to the standalone Main Menu screen. And the only way I know to recover the HD200 in that case is with SageTV Media Center software loaded on a server.

You could download the trial version and install that. I do use the Sage server software on PCs that don't have tuners so you could give it a shot.

The down side is that the trial period will expire in a few weeks and so it probably wouldn't work if it happened again.

If you do go that route.... Make sure that when you install the SageTV software you run it and set it up as a server with support for extenders during the initial setup process. You can just skip past the tuner setup without installing any tuners.

If you don't want to try the trial software route, submit a support ticket right away. Perhaps there is a way to recover that I am not familiar with.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

fwiw, i thought i had bricked mine a while ago and couldn't get any video on screen to get further clues as to what was going on..............stumbled on unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable did the trick for me........it wasn't as bricked as i had thought..............not sure if this is your situation but it can't hurt to try........good luck
Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
When it's "bricked" you can't use the standard methods because you can't get to the standalone Main Menu screen. And the only way I know to recover the HD200 in that case is with SageTV Media Center software loaded on a server.

You could download the trial version and install that. I do use the Sage server software on PCs that don't have tuners so you could give it a shot.

The down side is that the trial period will expire in a few weeks and so it probably wouldn't work if it happened again.

If you do go that route.... Make sure that when you install the SageTV software you run it and set it up as a server with support for extenders during the initial setup process. You can just skip past the tuner setup without installing any tuners.

If you don't want to try the trial software route, submit a support ticket right away. Perhaps there is a way to recover that I am not familiar with.
Thanks for the tip, I installed a the trial version and recovered from the sage server. Man, what a pain. I would hope there is an easier way to do this, like recovering off a USB drive. Or even if they provided a free software utility to recover without the use of a full sage server.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Sage Icon

Tried to load up the latest BETA f/w this morning and it got hung at erasing part 1/2 step 13/X. So I'm trying this method to recover.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Sage User

Thankfully, our update stalled only while downloading. It hadn't started wiping out our 0702 version, so I'm sticking with that for the time being...

It seems a lot of people are having trouble with this update when running in standalone?????
Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Thought my HD200 was toast

Thank You Helen for the restore procedure. I too tried the latest firmware beta update and finally gave up after waiting over an hour and tried to restart my HD200. Well, that didn't work out too well. The restore took exactly 30 minutes and now all is good.

Thanks again,
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Same exact thing here. I followed Helen's directions from above and mine also took exactly :30 min to restore.
Thanks for the help and I too will wait for a solid release.
Dana

EDIT: Should the stp200.bin file be removed from the sagetv folder once this is finished?
Software - Win7 64 bit, SageTV 7.1.9, Java v6, HD100 firmware v20100212-0, HD200 firmware 20100909 0

Last edited by pvr599; 09-07-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added a question