SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Sage Expert

HD Theater - Does It Send Audio Through HDMI Port?

This is my scenario - I have a SageTV 6.5 installed on a server and a SagetV Media Extender client installed on a upstairs HTPC that feeds the video via an HDMI cable and audio via a set of analog audio inputs on the back of my TV. That is fine, but I only have one set of analog audio inputs that can be tied to a HDMI input, and I am not going to abandon my HTPC if I buy a HD Theater, as I use the HTPC for other things.

So, I wanted to confirm - does HD Theater send its audio through the HDMI cable along with the video signal if I want it to? I don't need surround. I'm comparing this scenario to, say, a Blu-Ray player that I have connected to another HDMI port on my TV. It's just HDMI, and the audio comes through it with the video.

Is the HD-Theater the same?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Sage Icon

Everything will play on your TV thru the HDMI cable except DTS audio tracks. Unless your TV decodes DTS audio internally. Which I doubt since DTS is not part of the ATSC spec. You BD Player has an internal DTS decoder.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Sage Expert

Fair enough. I'm only looking for 2-channel playback thru HDMI in whatever forms SageTV records on the server either via OTA ATSC or from my HD-PVR.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Savage... I had trouble with a BluRay Rip i made but encoded in DTS. (idiot...) It's not insurmountable though, there are ways to rip out the audio track, convert it to something acceptable (AC3, etc.) and re-mux it back in. I did this with an MKV file, but I'm sure you can swing it for whatever works for you. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would actually have liked the option to TURN OFF the audio on the HDMI signal. I have one of my HD200's hooked to my LCD-TV using the HDMI and I have the Optical SPDIF going to my reciever for the sound decoding. Unfortunately I need to keep my TV's volume turned down when using the HD200. It would be nice if my TV muted without a stupid 'sound mute' logo on the display - I could have programmed that into the remote.
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT